Issue with 8.12 drivers & Radeon 3870 X2

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by gbarton13, Dec 27, 2008.

1. gbarton13

gbarton13 New Member

GPU:
    Ati Radeon HD 3870 X2
    Hey guys,
    I recently bought a new computer with an Intel Core 2 Quad 9400, 8gb of Ram, and a Radeon 3870 X2 1gb graphics card with 64 bit Vista Home on it. When I got it, the computer ran fine but it had dated catalyst drivers on it. So I recently downloaded the 8.12 drivers and installed them but now I get Code 43 error in device manager and I get a message when I restart my computer that says "No Ati Drivers or Hardware found" and my screen size is bumped down to 800 x 600. I'm positive I downloaded the correct drivers, the 64 bit Vista 8.12 catalyst common driver package. Since it didn't install correctly, I reverted back to the old drivers. Today, I when into control panel and removed the Catalyst Display Driver from Add/Remove programs, when ahead and Uninstalled the driver from the device manager, and used Driver Sweeper to clean the old driver files (Although I did keep getting a dx64help stopped working everytime I hit "Clean") and then went ahead and reinstalled the new driver package. Everything seems to go fine during the installation with no errors in the log but then after the computer restarts, I get the same error message when trying to go into Catalyst Control Center, "No Ati Driver or Hardware found". It also says "An incompatible display adapter has been installed." I know by reading around these forums a bit that many of you are much more advanced when it comes to this kind of stuff. Can anyone help me out or point me in the right direction? Thank you. :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  2. reggis

reggis Active Member

GPU:
    4870x2 and 4870 crossfire
    Aye -- A number of vista x64/greater than 4 GB ram/28xx/48xx systems have this issue (code 43) with 8.12, myself included. I reverted to 8.11 -- waiting for a hotfix or 9.1 to address this issue.

3. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    Yes, i had this same issue. Today i received the 8GB's of RAM for my gf's system. Before that i had 5GB in each system, 2x2GB + 2x512MB in each system and today i did a fresh install on both systems. My main rig has the card listed to the left and my gf's rig has a 7950GT 512MB.

Upon installing Catalyst 8.12 i also got the "error 43" crap, but the weird thing is that 8.12 worked fine when i still had 5GB and now i can't install it somehow. Now i'm running 8.11.

Did you also try the DNA 8.12 drivers?

4. Menpower

Menpower Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC

5. mikeysg

mikeysg Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro+ RX 6900 XT
    I have a similar issue, except that I don't get the error message. reatrt and get the 'No ATi Driver or hardware found' message. Have reverted to Cat8.11 and awaiting Cat9.1 to see if this issue has been resolved.....and yes, I have 64bit Vista HP with more than 4GB of RAM installed.

6. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    That IS the code 43 error. Check your "Display Adapter" within the "Device Manager" and your card will have a yellow triangle with the awesome ! and check the error code.

7. Menpower

Menpower Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC
    Keitosha "code 43" problem occurs when system have 4gb or more ram right? And also only crossfire systems, am I not right?

8. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Vega56 8GB
    Nope, it also happens on single GPU's. I also tried an HD3450 from my HTPC (which only has 2GB) and also with the 3450, i'm getting the dreaded code 43 issue. The 3450 is working fine with Cat 8.12 in my HTPC though (and so was my 3870, which i also tried in my HTPC).

9. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    Ive read many posts on this subject. I am also a victim of these circumstances. Anyways, I found new information about OUR situation through testing on my own pc. If you look at my specs, you will see i fall within the criteria to generate our system freezing..locking up..error43, etc. These have been plauging us for months now!! in the past I have swapped card manufacturers, replaced RAM, overclocked, underclocked, flashed my hardware. Through testing I have observed that either a flaw in 64bit versions of vista exists after 4gb-> of RAM(ie a problem with mem. allocation), or a flaw in the catalyst control center, or both. Theses issues seem to present themselves mainly with people running X2s (4850x2,4870x2,3870x2), but not limited to. I normally crash in all of my D3D games withing 5-15 mins after launch. My system will hardlock and loop, at which time I have to hit the reset button. I have removed 4gb of my RAM, and I havent crashed ONCE in 6 days. Its my belief that there is a flaw in vista 64bit editions that rears it ugly faces when certain hardware criteria are met, but I cant confirm that. Anyone can chime in with additional info.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  10. Menpower

Menpower Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290 TRI-X OC
    Keitosha, EAK can you try these steps then post your experiences here;

1- Download both DNA Catalyst 8.11 Vista x64 and DNA Catalyst 9.1 Beta Vista x64 drivers here

2- Extract both drivers any folders you want and run DNA.BAT from DNA 8.11's not 9.1 Beta (It is very important) and uninstall your current driver completely by 2. choice. When prompted restart then do restart.

3- Run DNA.BAT from 9.1 Beta and select 1. choice so installer will install new driver. When prompted restart then do restart.

Your cards should work with new modified 8.12(DNA 9.1 Beta) drivers without problem by that way. My 2x Sapphire Radeon HD 3870X2 working right now by this steps. I hope this steps end "code 43" nightmare once for all.

Three cheers goes to the DNA Team. :)

11. EAK

EAK Master Guru

GPU:
    ZT-P10800H-10P
    In the time that Ive had a 4870x2, Ive never gotten error 43 issue. Only the hardlocks. Im not sure if its worth messing with. I may wait until the 9.1 officials are released.