Isohunt Getting Shut Down.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by IcE, Apr 1, 2010.

1. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
  2. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    "I understand what you're saying, but think if Isohunt as a tool. If you have a hammer, and 9 out of 10 people that use it kill someone, is that a bad hammer? Obviously not, you just had bad people using it. Isohunt is the same thing, its just a tool. It indexes torrents. Sure, pirated content is in there. But it comes down to the people to search for it. "

If a locksmith decides to make keys to break into somebodies house and markets them to men he knows are thieves; would you say he's just making tools? I mean sure homeowners could accidentally lock themselves out and come by some day so that makes it okay.

"Technically, you could argue that Fung purposely created the site for the purpose of helping people find illegal things faster, and with that data you're showing it is a logical assumption. However, neither of us know Fung's true intentions for starting the site back in 2002-03 (or however long ago), so you can't really assume that. You may be right, but I'm inclined to believe the opposite. I really doubt that Fung was so irritated that he couldn't find illegal content in 2003 that he went out of his way to start such a complex undertaking. "

According to Fung he's doing this to "shape the future", according to industry sources he's in it for $3m per year ad revenue. IMO he's in it for everything it is, ad revenue, notoriety, shaping the future, the whole shebang. The thing is, when he says he's doing this to "shape the future", it seems to imply that he's encouraging people to violate copyrights to force some vague capitulation from industry.

Hell industry tried to listen and gave us HULU. However, as I pointed out people are still using .torrents, even when this stuff is being offered to them for free from legit sites. I'm afraid pretty soon they'll say screw it and we'll lose HULU to boot.

3. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    I actually have to agree with you on the first point, he very well may be offering a tool, but he's offering it in the "shady" corner of town. However, it begs the question, was it really his fault that torrents became that "shady" corner of town? I'm pretty sure at the time the site was created almost nobody really knew what a torrent was. So at least initially, he may not have been actually offering that tool to thieves.

As for his motivations, I'm sure that money is probably 90% of it. As for "shape the future", I'm just as lost as you on that one.

I'm honestly just arguing for the sake of arguing right now; I'm not really some hardcore Isohunt supporter or anything. It was mildly convenient every so often, that's about all I can say for it. It was just interesting news.

4. TroM

TroM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte HD6850 OC
    Damnit... were else am I supposed to get torrents for Ubisoft games. Back to old Pirate Bay it is :/

5. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    His wording was more apt.

6. macdaddy

macdaddy Guest

GPU:
    TITAN X
    they're gonna start hitting hard on storage sites now.

7. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Resistance is futile, they will fail and will be crushed by pirate power.

8. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Can I now? - "Location: Luleå, Sweden"

I download episodes of all shows I follow because there's simply no other convenient way of watching them. I can't schedule my life after the TV tableau and while I suppose I could spoof a proxy to make it seem like I'm in the US to watch episodes over the web it's not a very good solution.

Certainly, I'm not entitled to watch any show I feel like but there's simply no legal distribution form available that makes sense for people who have a life.

If studios offered commercially sponsored content free for streaming, much like TV is, I'd be all over that.

If there were a service that allowed me to subscribe to my favorite shows and stream them, in HD and without commercials, whenever I wanted for a reasonable monthly fee that'd be even better.

Anyway, to get back on topic...

This ruling is only so much bull**** really, no matter how you feel about piracy, because it's not reasonable. Whenever responsibility is shifted onto distribution, whether that be ISPs, websites/trackers or whatever, as opposed to the individuals actually downloading the content the law fails.

This because applying the same questionable logic to everything else won't happen. Are arms manufacturers responsible for all the people killed by their products? Ever seen a roadworker jailed because someone had a fatal accident on the stretch of asphalt he laid down?

There's no end of absurd examples to illustrate the stupidity of these rulings.

In the end it's not the responsibility of society at large to finance the media producers. If they're unable to make money with their current business model and distribution format the choices come down to what it is for any other business, change one or both of the former or go out of business.

Indeed the fact that we, at least in Sweden, still pay fees to the media producers whenever we purchase blank media such as CDs and DVDs actually entitles us to copy whatever we like.

You can't treat people like criminals and then expect them to somehow respect the system.

9. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    hulu doesnt work here dust puppy

Owait you forgot theres places outside america :funny:

10. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Your argument isn't even remotely the same since copying keys for anyone but the owner of said keys is illegal in the first place.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Yep... even half of youtube doesn't work here. "THIS CONTENT IS BLOCKED IN YOUR COUNTRY, GO EAT A DICK!"

12. Dustpuppy

Dustpuppy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated - fffffffuuuuu
    FTFA
    "The movie studios had brought in expert witnesses stating that a statistical sampling of the content and server logs showed that nearly all of the content infringed copyrights, and about half of the downloads were made within the US."

If you're going to be a cliche smartass maybe you should RTFA.

13. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    And how does that relate to your argument that Hulu should cure piracy?

14. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    If it helps to lower piracy I'm cool with it.
    Ever thought about getting a DVB-T tuner? Recording is way easier than you think. I pick the series I want and my PC records them always (except reruns).
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  15. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    lol downloading movies and series is legal here :p

16. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Really, you aren't saying that just to put my underwear in a twist?

If not I must say that's an incomprehensible stance considering the deeper implications of such rulings.

Of course it won't affect piracy either way but frankly I consider that a far lesser concern.
    No, I can't say that I have.

As far as I'm concerned TV is a dead medium. I don't watch 95% of what's on, I don't like commercials and I don't have time to schedule my shows.

You can get around some of these issues of course, by paying even more money, but the best solution would simple be to offer subscription-based streaming services.

17. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    RTFA

RTFA

RTFA

lolwut?

Lucky you =/

its ilegal to rip music from a retail cd here rofl

18. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    well if it was illegal i would still do it tbh. i dont really care. :p

Who doesnt rip or copy cd's for/from their friends really ?? im doing this for over 20 years , since the casette tape LOL

19. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I don't like to use my original discs, I rip/copy all my discs or download them and leave the originals sealed to keep as collector's items. That's one of the reasons why I hate the PS3, I have to use my original discs. I despise doing that, I still have my (Collector's Edition) copy of Final Fantasy XII sealed in its original packaging but there were no alternatives for FF XIII, I had to open it. :mad: :bang:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  20. Duke Nil

Duke Nil Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    sad, I really like isohunt