1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is your graphics card sagging?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 29, 2019.

1. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti Gaming X
    I've never thought about it until now but mine clearly sags a little, even though I'm using the GPU bracket. My Gaming X Trio is huge and therefore I understand that it sags a little, my 1080Ti Gaming X didnt but it was also quite a lot smaller.

Do you worry about it?

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I know i have a midrange gpu but my aorus 580 xtr is the probably biggest polaris out othere and yes it sag quite a bit. I try not to worry about it and watched some gamers nexus video that beside some ugly look there is no real downside to it.

[​IMG]

akbaar and signex like this.
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti @h2o
    Yes, I guess mine is too (no wonder with 1kg of copper on it), but I try not to worry about it too much.
    With my next build though I will consider either vertical mounting, or a support column (co worker has a 3D printer, might be in for some custom piece there).

4. Caesar

Caesar Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium

5. CrunchyBiscuit

CrunchyBiscuit Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon HD6950 2GB
    My old AMD HD6950 is equipped with a pretty heavy custom cooler, and also sags due to its weight. When it sags too much (usually happens after cleaning and sloppily reseating the card), the PCI-E bus interface speed sometimes gets lowered from 'x16 2.0' to 'x8 2.0' according to GPU-Z. This could potentially affect performance. I think it probably happens because some parts of the slot don't make proper contact with the card or something. Anyway, reseating again has always helped me so far.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Vertical mount FTW.

7. Clawedge

Clawedge Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    It happens with age....

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Lego fixes just about everything as usual from a few quick searches but other stuff works just as well to prop that thing up. :D

[​IMG]

Probably all sorts of little solutions though since all you need is to prop it up a bit and it should be fine, even little brackets and stuff but that's probably a tad higher in terms of cost.

[​IMG]

"Up here." Heh so it's built by VGAgra or something?
    (Probably pretty solid though so no risk of denting or bending the fixture though it does seem to extent a bit beyond double slot too so that could be a thing to watch out for as well.)

EDIT: As for in general on GPU sag though the extended coolers and stuff on some custom designs can be a headache when the fins or copper block extends beyond the PCB itself but the same solution should work and until we can just spray some zero degree gunk on the GPU and maintain single slot configs from fantasy absolutely unrealistic thermal paste I guess it's that or a slimmer water block but these then need at least some copper heat spreaders for the VRMs' and stuff.
    (Yeah I'm still dreaming about jell-o like GPU cooling you just apply and done but it's not very feasible with some synthetic probably hostile to other biologic entities gel to just encase the GPU in and have it "eat" the heat in some sci-fi fiction "science" ... thing. :p )

But yeah Lego would be a solid DIY home solution really, few blocks to build up to the height needed prop it under and if needed and if you don't need to adjust it further maybe a little bit of glue to keep the pieces together and it should just work. :)

Sure it's "ThereIFixedIt" level but it works and that's the main thing unless you prefer installing metal bracers or other actual GPU support struts and stuff which seems to be plentiful too.
    (Costs a bit more though but aesthetics can be important too and having said that someone's sure to make a LED pillar or holder any time now because that's all the rage currently.)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
  9. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti SLi
    My cards sag quite a bit, bought this to solve it.

upHere Graphics Card GPU Brace Support Video Card Sag Holder/Holster Bracket, Anodized Aerospace Aluminum, Single or Dual Slot Cards Black (G205) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B079HN7QWJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_fL8zDbF2KR5KK

Tore the PCI-E slot from old my motherboard with the weight of two watercooled cards so definitely worth worrying about.

dark_surge likes this.
  10. pegasus1

pegasus1 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti@2.05Ghz

11. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Mine sags like a big breasted woman over 70. These cards are getting out of control in size and weight. I've even thought about putting my case, old school on it's side so the card can stand better. I keep waiting for the slot to crack. I need to upgrade soon but keep pushing it off, so I figure if it does crack, I have a reason to stop procrastinating. But yeah, I have a saggy gpu.

JonasBeckman and airbud7 like this.
  12. airbud7

airbud7 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I'm so old my i-gpu sags.

13. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 5700XT P.
    Yeah the triple slot designs are probably going to push PCI-E durability to it's limits if the trend of going all Noctua on the cooler design continues though eh it's effective but that's still near a kilogram on a plastic little slot a couple of centimeters in length secured somewhat in one end by two screws and not at all in the other end.

...Oh FFS why not go all out with it really we have military grade motherboards and some odd bits and ends for components like the caps so why not a military grade GPU with folding bipod included.
    (Well it'd look kinda ridiculous I suppose so it's pillar or PCI-E screw fixture for now.)

EDIT: Though I suppose Noctua is mostly the big-huge DH15 type and then that's a bit unfair to them with things like Cooler Master doing a V8 which is just covering ALL the CPU area on the motherboard.
    (The backplate is going to need a backplate if that keeps up.)

EDIT: Or these things speaking of military.

[​IMG]

Nothing like a a few 5.56's cooling that little bit there back when the bridges were divided between the North and the South. :D
    (Though I suppose it's a toss-up for the itty bitty spinny fan that somehow makes all the noise in current motherboard models so yeah...)

Kinda lost it's appeal though when RGB lighting took over as the big new feature and could also be combined with fancy marketing terms that didn't really mean too much.

But that's a separate subject though I wouldn't be surprised to see..

Oh too late they're already out on the market.

[​IMG]

Which isn't surprising but it's up to the user really, what works, bit costlier or all out on the appearance and bling side of things. :D

But same principle really, little height thing or bracket but some design elements and coolness factor but serving the same functionality and need.

EDIT: Oh and poking fun and all but it's not a bad idea and it serves a good function particularly for the larger air cooled graphics cards just I wouldn't break the budget on something that can be accomplished in a similarly effective way but less costly though who's to say it can't look fancy too.
    (3D printer and some math - size, weight tolerance and stuff like that. - could probably lead to all kinds of curious designs too for anyone going that route when nothing but sheer perfection will do.)

Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    airbud7 likes this.
  14. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI OC H20
    my vertical card sags as the 680X case doesnt have a fixed pciex side mount, again using an "up here" stand to rectify. I did worry when i didnt have the stand.

[​IMG]

15. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Take a look at this. I just took some photos of my 580 and i can say its pretty clear sag is real. Maybe i should look into that. I cant see any performance loss though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

airbud7 and signex like this.

16. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1070 X / 970 / 780Ti
    My (MSi) 970 and most previous cards with big coolers (mostly EVGA) would sag after a bit but my (MSi) 1070 has been pretty level for nearly 2 years now. It has a backplate which may help but I see in pics people who also have backplates still sagging.

I used fishing line to tie up the 970 in my fiance's case. That 970 we use is the worst GPU I have ever used for this particular issue

17. signex

signex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RTX 2060 S
    Wow, that thing looks massive, i think it's even bigger then my previous 1070 Xtreme Gaming.
    But the 1070 had no sagging from what i could tell, this new one seems pretty straight too so far.

I can forget vertical mounting, this Aorus ATC800 cpu heatsink is so big, it blocks so much of the card when i tried to set it vertical to see if it would fit.
    Now i wish i went for a 240MM watercooling, the fans on this GPU light up so damn sexy, now i can't see anything of it.

Undying likes this.
  18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Your 1070 Xtreme Gaming was actually bigger, well cooler was the same size but as you can see rx580 pcb is shorter and cooling extends and also quite heavy. No wonder it has sag. Btw, got to love that new Aorus RTX lineup like your 2060S and up. Its one of the best looking rtx cards. :)

19. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x RX 480 Nitro 4GB
    My fury sagged. It had no bracing on the rear I/O panel like some cards that bolt to it as well. It sagged even with the case on the side.

[​IMG]

20. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Geforce 1050
    Currently Supporting my Geforce 1050 2GB with this adapter that came with my Asus G11CD-K Desktop, (around Christmas upgrading to Geforce 1660TI Card) to go with my Intel 7700 Processor, already have EVGA G3 650 watt power supply, so good to go once i purchase the newer card, and get it installed.

Should i attempt to put the bracket or support back on once i install the MSI Gaming X Card that i think will be the one i purchase

((Can't figure out how to get the picture to attach though))

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]