Is Xenoblade really as good as some say?

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by SerotoNiN, Jul 9, 2020.

1. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    And which version is the best? I have never played it. Saw all the great reviews when it first came out on Wii. I'm an old school rpg gamer. Final Fantasy 2 and 3 for snes (4 and 6 as we know them outside Japan), FF7. I didn't mind FF15 as far as the changes to the battle system but the story was atrocious. So...is this worth trying? And if so, what version is the best? I've been on a 3ds kick lately and see it's on there. 3d seems interesting. But then I know they made a remastered version on switch recently though based on reviews, not much changed? Anyway, hows the gameplay as far as battles? Is it turn based? And what version is worth playing, any of them better much different?

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3200U
    I've looked at a couple of videos, but I'm not impressed. Looks generic.

SerotoNiN likes this.
  3. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Yeah looking at a few videos I can't say i get the hype. But it seems many consider it a classic.

4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3200U
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2020

5. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080, KD55XD800
    That "second game" you linked is a remaster of the first one, which is what we're talking about. The second one is on wii u called Xenoblade Chronicles X, it's ok. The third one is on switch called Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which i'd say is one of my favourite JRPGs.

The switch version of Xenoblade Chronicles is absolutely the best version, after having played all 3 versions over the years.

The original and 3ds version have literally no side quest tracking, good luck finding where the hell you need to go, where said NPC is in an area (they move around and disappear over the course of the day), where a specific enemy or collectible is. Also, quests are only discoverable within a small radius as NPCs are only in game memory in that radius.

That's now changed and alone cuts like 30 hours off the previously tedious gameplay (if you did side quests that is). The new version has proper sidequest tracking, you can see quest markers over a whole massive area map. Admittedly the only thing missing is there's no quest log for sidequests not started, sidequests only appear on the map you're on and there's still the time thing.

Between that and the vastly better graphics the switch version is hands down the best one, also there's a 10-14 hour epilogue and a challenge mode. There's a few other changes as well.

As for the story, YMMV but many say it's a timeless classic, I had never got beyond 30 hours before due to the previously mind numbing side quest stuff that required a guide on hand at all times, but having now completed it I think it's a very good JRPG.

Battles are real time, and depending on the character you chose the play as (you can swap who you control) gameplay changes. The main character is about positioning around an enemy to gain advantages and buffing your team mates, another is about controlling agro while another is controlling healing. There's of course others than these three.

In total, the main game took me about 82 hours, while the epilogue was about 13 hours. I very much enjoyed the whole thing.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    dark_surge, SerotoNiN and Ghosty like this.
  6. SerotoNiN

SerotoNiN Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2080
    Thanks for the reply. You've sold me. Switch version it is.

7. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3200U
    Or you could wait for Paper Mario on the Switch. :)