Is WoW Getting Worse With Age - 8800 Ultra

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by LifeForce, Jan 10, 2008.

1. Delbi1

Delbi1 Active Member

GPU:
    PNY GeForce 8800 GT 512MB GDDR3 x2
    wow lag in any major city is down to server lag mostly,

i go outside shatt and get upto 160 fps with everything maxed

in shatt about 40

2. Tale

Tale New Member

GPU:
    MSI 8800GTS OC 320Mb
    Blizzard's WoW live team seems to have poorer quality control these days. A couple of months ago they included in the patch notes "reduced network latency by disabling the Nagle algorithm". There had actually been a problem for months with WoW's network code that was adding lag.

My ISP discovered the bug (Internode in Australia) while trying set up a customer-only WoW gateway that reduced latency from Australia to the US. They figured out the problem in WoW's network code, reported it to Blizzard, and Blizzard denied it at first. Later they got back in touch, and the next thing you know it says "disabled Nagle algorithm" in the WoW patch notes.

3. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Haha wicked, does Internode do that?

I'm with them atm, 8Mb connection.
    That's pretty cool.

Blizz are usually pretty good, I never really have problems with them.
    They have been going through a few restarts lately, but as someone who runs a lot of servers I can understand it's not usually a quick fix.

4. DaddyD302

DaddyD302 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus Master 4090
    No they re-enable hardware support with the last or second last patch. Not like it matters for people with dual or quad core cpu's. Everyone's gonna see bad fps in shatt regardless of what system they got, it's got tons of npc every where. SLI does work when you play on higher resolution like 1920X1200 and up.

I will never understand why people buy high end cards and SLI them and then play on monitors less then 24". They then complain SLI doesn't work. From reading all the complaints on WoW's tech support forum, I must wonder why they wasted all that money and then use something like a 19" or 22" with 2 8800GTX.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    What is wrong with you people my rig is more or less the same as yours and I am getting 60fps all the time even in the busy Ironforge. Its not your PC's that are messing up its your internet speeds they cant handle the data being transfered. I have a 16mb connection and my ping never dips above 50.

6. Alcyone

Alcyone Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS ENGTX280 1GB
    Latency has nothing to do with bad FPS in WoW. WoW engine itself seems to choke in multi-NPC places like shattrath. Ironforge is piece of cake compared to that.

7. Slam

Slam Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 XC
    Bottom line: WoW is a cpu based game. You will notice quite a bit higher fps overall when overclocking your cpu, vs getting a newer video card etc. With my quad at about 4ghz, WoW stays pretty much pegged at 60fps...even in heavily populated areas. If I drop cpu speed down a lot, fps drops quite a bit too.

8. LifeForce

LifeForce Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800 Ultra SLI
    Rather than make a new thread, I figured I would ask in here.

I have been comfortable with WoW for the last couple days, but I have noticed now that for some strange reason, the framerate will nosedive for a couple second (1-2) when I turn around after looking in a certain direction for awhile.

I do NOT recall this on any of the previous systems I have played WoW on.

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Almost like its re-rendering or something.

9. smut

smut Guest

GPU:
    GTX 960 SuperSC
    Most games with big open worlds (MMOs, sandbox rpgs and etc) do that. Its loading all the data into the RAM when you first turn around. If you turn around in a circle a few times it'll load up all the data into the RAM and it should be alot smoother. Ive come across it in games such as WOW, LOTRO, Oblivion and more. Some games are more noticable then others.

10. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    try have 60 fps constantly while raiding bt and hyjal >_>
    can compare my fps atm to my old comp with x700pro wich used to get about same fps

11. Keitosha

Keitosha Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 / Vega56
    While i don't play WoW, i've read in the changes of a recent patch of WoW that Blizzard changed the sound engine in WoW, also removing Hardware Acceleration. They just forgot to remove the "Use Hardware" box.

12. Tenma

Tenma Member

GPU:
    EVGA 8800GT SC @ 680/1700/2020
    Ever since patch 2.3.3 (that was "supposed" to make things load faster), I've been loading significantly slower and during a raid today, I got my first blue screen in WoW, ever.

I dunno... this game is odd. :3eyes:

13. Varlis

Varlis Member Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D iChiLL GTX 670
    Yeah I also noticed that WoW is crashing more often.

The Shattrath issue still exists, my framerate drops significantly.
    (WoW was one of the reasons I switched my old 3200+ for the X2-3800, but didn't help much)

But then again - I play everything maxed out, so the slowdown is understandable.

recently (not related to hardware) the latency on my server has been very very bad.
    Yesterday I died about 10x just because the damn latency was jumping around and many times surpassing 3000ms...
    *sigh*

14. Tenma

Tenma Member

GPU:
    Yeah! Same here...

I'm on Mal'Ganis. Really populated server but the lag recently is very annoying. >.>

And I understand what you mean. I as well play with everything mixed out @ 1680x1050 so I really can't complain, haha. Just hope they fix these crashes and stuff. I got a friend who can't even play because he crashes every 5 minutes. There's like a 50+ thread forum post with people having the same problem and Blizzard hasn't done anything about it yet.

Crazy eh

15. DaddyD302

DaddyD302 Guest

GPU:
    Aorus Master 4090

That's not much of an upgrade unless you OC that cpu big time. I gained 15 more fps by switching from my AMD6000@3.2Ghz to my current cpu. As for the ping, WoW has a little over 10 million players, and most servers are full or near full.

I do think they need to get something better then what they're using now with that many people. Yes Blizzard can afford to upgrade with all that money they're making. I know they just recently upgrade most of their servers to newer machines but I still get lag here and there on Sen Jinn. My ping is around 100-180.

Performance wise, it's been the same since BC was released. I am not sure why people are getting lower fps with every patch. Both my computers get the same fps as the previous patch.

Only crash I had were from driver related issues. I've been d/c a few times while my guildies weren't. I think people with performance issue need to check their pc. Hell my pc was booting up, and WoW was loading slow too, until I reinstalled my Zone alarm, now it's back to normal again.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008

16. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    i just went from a
    AMD 64 X2 4200+@2.2ghz
    BFG 7950GT
    2gig Corsair PC5300 DDR2@533mhz
    Vista HP32bit
    to a C2Q Q6600@2.4ghz
    2xEVGA 8800GT SC SLI
    4gigs OCZ PC6400 DDR2@800mhz
    Vista Ultamate
    on the old system i got about 20-30fps in shat 4xAA 16xAF full game settings.
    with my new PC i get 60FPS in the same places, now im 90% sure this is because of the Q6600, AMD is just not very good in comparison.(i use VS so im capped at 60fps, i did turn it off and i got 280fps out side of TK)

17. Pyro the Dragun

Pyro the Dragun Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GT 555M
    Every patch after and including v2.3 seems to be just one screwup after another.
    Now with the latest patch (v2.3.3) my frame rate seems to be stuck at 64fps. Both FRAPS and WoW's built-in frame counter report the 64fps everywhere unless I am in an area that actually taxes my card and the FPS fall below 64. Shat runs alright for me, its Zangarmarsh that causes my FPS to dive.
    I'm not running my card very hard at all: 169.21 drivers, 1600x1200 res, a mere 2xAA, everything else maxed, and 75hz v-sync.
    Also with v2.3.3 WoW now blue-screens and seems to lockup a lot.
    But atm I suspect my chipset of slowely going to crap, so the cause of the crashes is still debatable.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  18. Zer0K3wL

Zer0K3wL Banned

GPU:
    gtx 480 850/1700/2000 h2o
    it has nothing to do with hardware sound @ all tbh.
    high probaly badly optimised gpu and cpu wise
    does't matter if you got a intel or amd
    ofc intel is better duh ;p

19. Tenma

Tenma Member

GPU:
    Pyro, it's stuck at 64fps because you have Vsync on.

20. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    lol you cant run @1600x1200 @75mhz, i know WOW shows you that its there but it does not work, and it can cause BSOD, it gave me one when i tried it at 1680x1050.
    So you got VS on and your LCD is capped at 60FPS with it on, but your trying to force you game to 75mhz and thats one of your problems.