Is Windows Defender (on Windows 10) sufficient?

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by TheDeeGee, Aug 24, 2019.

1. Texter

Texter Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    The latest PCGH.de periodical AV roundup put Windows Defender in the top 5 for the first time ever afaik...joint first with the regulars, as it's faster now...or the rest is slower.

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    Avast is annoying these days for me and other people I know who use it.
    Even when told not to, it keeps installing its own browser and there is other bad behaviour.
    I stopped using it along with a few others.

For Windows 10 they moved to Windows Defender.

3. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    I used to use NOD32 but when my key expired, i thought to give Defender a go since it was already in win10. I'm pretty happy with it.

386SX and TheDeeGee like this.
  4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070
    Since my ESET NOD32 was running out in 2 days, i tried Windows Defender...

And my god is it aggressive, it deleted a bunch of files from "not-so-legal" software instantly.

So, i extended NOD32 by another 3 years instead for just 40 bucks.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    386SX likes this.

5. 386SX

386SX Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    I dont like Defender and saw some infections happening with just Defender enabled. I stay with ESET because of its performance-price-ratio and overall detection rate. It produces some false-positives, agreed, but those are basically redirectors from domain A to domain B which get detected (or stuff like that), so not always a malicious attempt to get me into trouble, but .... better be warned and possibly add an exception for a site you like (and trust) than to get infected.

IT security is difficult ... :)

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Shop around? What's that? I visit 1 site, every year, to "renew" my antivirus.....
    https://www.anti-virus4u.com/
    Most of the time, I can get 3 years for the price of 1 using that site. BitDefender and McAfee always have great deals on that site as does Kaspersky. Even ESET has good deals there.