Is Windows 10 truly worth it?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Danny_G13, May 25, 2016.

1. ElectronSpider

ElectronSpider Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 660 OC 2GB
    Whether Windows 10 is worth it to you will vary from person to person. I upgraded (although I did a clean install afterwards) from 7 Ultimate to 10 Pro. I think a concern was that M$ would to the PC to the "walled garden" approach like Apple instead of the open nature that PC has always been and should continue to be open. I also like that Linux is getting more gaming options with Vulcan, which creates competition (a good thing).

The first difference I noticed from upgrading to Windows 10 is that boot time has decreased by 3-4 seconds (this was before clean install and stayed same afterwards). Also, under the hood, I notice with MSI Afterburner that in games that do not use all the CPU HW threads, the Windows 10 CPU scheduler keeps the application on the same cpu cores rather than switching between all cores (this helps with CPU caching memory) and helps with computer responsiveness.

2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah what I mean by this is windows 10 was to be LAST OS to be sold retail, no windows 11 or 12 or 13 etc this what MS was saying and was one the selling points just Build upgrade to windows 10.

Windows 10 being last one and there wasnt gona be windows 11 , 12 etc to ever be released, All internal build upgrades from here on out, This is what MS was pushing and saying as a means to get people to upgraded, and Everyone to be on the same OS (no more of this 25% on XP, 50% on Win 7, 25% on Win 8 * % is just example*) ever one to be on 1 OS and that OS was to be WIN 10, this was major selling point to me, and now they are going back on this??

Extraordinary know exactly what I talking about.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2016
  3. dgrigo

dgrigo Member

GPU:
    TitanX
  4. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    LOL

I will be on W7 as long as I can.

5. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Master Guru

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    win 10 is cool and free why not
    dx12/vulkin
    power shell is nice nd can remove most of the unwanted apps
    boot times
    hilbert had mentioned spybot anti becon and host the file
    i never installed the ms market crap and deleted all the adware apps.
    delete all the tiles and resize the start menu to the single column.
    also i think there is a few setting that need to be disable, for example, ms using your pc as a p2p for downloaded updates.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2016
  6. PurSpyk!!

PurSpyk!! Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti X Sli
    As said its free until Friday this week, but there are still inconsistencies, and having 2 places to change settings for new users can be confusing. Pity they never made Windows Update, update your apps as well, having to go to the store to update apps is also something I don't thing most users will be aware of.

7. NHK

NHK Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 6950 2GB
    I would say reserve your free copy if you have not, and stay on Windows 7 until Microsoft sorts itself out with Win 10.

I had a spare HD and a spare Windows 8 key and got my free copy last night. I spent a few hours playing around in Windows 10
    environment and my brain didn't exploded from frustration. It's a pretty OS, but I was left with a dual personality feeling. It just feels
    like they need more time to streamline and condense alot.

Also, at times I had to go on safari (not the browser) hunting down options I wanted changed. They need to simplify this, as I got a bit annoyed at times.

Overall, not a negative experience, but not a positive on either, more like "meh". There is just no killer feature that would make me switch at the moment.

I'll play the wait and see game for now. I have the option to move to Win 10 for free in the future if things change for the better.

8. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    Spot on.

9. nateluthje

nateluthje Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus strix 1080 SLI
    I had a s***load of problems with windows 10 activation when I upgraded to current specs, as seen on left. Even "legal" copy of latest windows 10 pro would not activate when I used the key. Ended up having to install first version of windows 10 pro, download all updates etc. Apparently problem was it wasn't recognising my motherboard.

Fixed now, runs sweet, getting higher benchmarks @stock speeds than with system oc'd before I did a fresh install. Give it a go I say...

10. weasel

weasel Master Guru

GPU:
    2080ti&1080Ti
    Have bin running 10 on my second rig from the beginning and still not convinced to make the switch on my main rig.

Can't say its bad but i still prefer good old 7 much more.Have registered my copy of 10 with an old win 8.1 key on my main rig.

11. rogue221979

rogue221979 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 GTX
    I purchased it instead of the free version. If your system is older you can keep 7 but if your going to upgrade video cards every few years, sooner or later your going to have to use 10.

Might as well get it for free, while you still can. Can always roll back to 7 if you don't like it and install it later.

It works fine for me, no major issues other than the automatic driver update thing.

12. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    3 days ago was the cutoff for the free upgrade. It has to be purchased now.

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX980 SLI
    Free upgrade was still working as of yesterday, hasn't been stopped yet

14. b101uk

b101uk Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX1070
    if your a standard windows user playing games and using it for basic work and home use, then yes.

if your a more extreme user who requires very high stability, uses lots of customisable features or/& who uses it in a way that defers from most users and are currently using windows 7 pro SP1 without problems, I would either advise.

A: stay with windows 7 Pro SP1 and just pay for windows 10 pro later when things like DX12 become much more mainstream in games, as some aspects of DX11 in Windows 7 Pro run much faster than some aspects of DX11 in windows 10 pro.

B: if you have some spare cash to get another HDD/SSD or have spare HDD/SSD you can afford to devote completely to a windows 10 installation just for the purposes of having your currant key used in a windows 10 installation before MS pull the free upgrade offer, then use MS MediaCreationTool.exe from the windows 10 upgrade site to download the windows 10 installation to disk (saved as ISO or USB pen drive), which can then be burnt to DVD or mounted on a USB pen drive, then used that for a clean installation on the spare HDD/SSD you have (unplug the drive with your previous windows on), then you can have a play with windows 10, but your pervious windows installation is safe, meaning if your getting on ok with win 10 you can plug your pervious windows installation drive into a new SATA port to get your user files, else unplug the SATA wire to the win 10 drive and put them back into your pervious windows installation drive.

15. radosuaf

radosuaf Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1050 Ti D5 4GB
    Sure thing - still prefer it to be rather "later" than "sooner".

16. singate

singate New Member

GPU:
    Red Devil RX480 8GB
    "Upgraded" to W10 about 2 months ago. Had several issues only one of which I was able to fix after a lot of searching online. Had more BSODs in the short time I was on 10 than I had combined with 7, 8, and 8.1. Finally had to reinstall 8.1. Haven't had any problems since going back. Guess I was just unlucky with my upgrade.