Is Vista still bad?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Onoskelis, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Onoskelis

Onoskelis New Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 8800GT 512mb
    I'm tired of XP and I'm going to install x64 Vista.

Is it still unstable and slow, like it was during release? Or has Microsoft fixed all of those problems now?

2. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    well since service pack 1 vista has been very fast and worked well for me.

3. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Has been good for a long time, ever since SP1.

And for the love of God please go 64bit and stop messing around with 32bit stuff.

4. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    Amen to that. Holly power of the 64 bit.

adn do not forget to use at least 4GB..i say Least because i advice 8GB :p * Antiflame armo is ON*

5. trodas

trodas Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9100 250/200MHz
    Vista still bad?
    Last time I cheaked - yea. Terrible. Even M$ is avare of it and know that it is called "The new ME" ...

Well, it probably depends on what do you want from OS. My look is, that Vista is terrible OS that I did not want at all... But others probably like OS that is telling you constantly what to do, checking everything you do and restricting you as much, as it can.

But I find out that best OS for me is Windows 2000 SP4, havily modified by me... So, maybe you like Vista, after all. It is just not my coup of tea.

6. burebista

burebista Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX1060GAMING X
    Vista64 SP1 Ultimate for almost one year now. Very happy.

7. Witcher

Witcher Master Guru

GPU:
    Intel
    I hate vista. Windows 7 Beta FTW.

8. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    Dual booting XP (for work) and VISTA for home. It has a higher memory footprint, but is running very stable, pretty quick (not noticably slower than XP IMO). And DX10 support gives some nice eye candy in games, so (ignoring windows 7) its a good OS to use.

9. anotherzen

anotherzen Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 460 SC 1GB SLi
    Vista x64 is great. Been using it since release and it quickly got
    patched to perform very nicely. Imo its more stable than XP ever was,
    but i had wierd BSODs in XP, never had any in Vista that i didnt make myself
    due to overclocking.

Now i use Win7 tho, its even better :)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  10. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ X Infinity

11. Deathspank

Deathspank Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gainward GTX570 1280mb
    i like vista buit its still bad or should i say heavy on resources. if it was so great then m/s wouldnt be ditching it for w7. it took xp 6years to be replaced and vista's being dumped after nearly 2 years.

and at the end of the day if your rig is not up to scratch then vista going to run s**t.

12. Knox

Knox Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil RX580 8GB
    I've been using vista since winter/fall of '07. The only bsod that i had were from overclocking or bad driver support, driver support is good now though.

Windows7 isn't out yet, and is only in beta testing, so i wouldn't jump on it as a permanent OS just yet.

13. kwak

kwak Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 560 ti
    ms is ditching it for windows 7 because most people are convinced that vista is crap. If it really is that bad doesnt matter when its name is already destroyed.
    windows 7 is probably going to succeed for exactly the same reason that vista failed: the media have already convinced people that its good, while the opposite was true for vista.

14. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    People don't get that vista uses memory differently thats why they think its a resource hog..ok it is a bit lol

15. GREGIX

GREGIX Master Guru

GPU:
    2080S
    vista is resource hog...
    compared to W7 - in vista every window open, on taskbar, on top uses same huge memory resources(this is why vista needs 2gb at last to BE comfortable...)
    in w7 is different - minimalised windows releasing memory usage, only on top uses its max at the moment. And switching between many windows really doesn't take more time than in vista, in fact it takes less, and system is more responsible

so yes, vista is still bad 4 me, and I'll switch directly to w7 if I have to

and 1 more thing - wxp after year takes 2.2gb of my HDD 1st par****on
    vista64/windows serwer 2008 sp1x64(was using both) takes 13-15gb just after install, and 2-3times more in less than 6 months. What t f is taking so much space in this piece of ME/beta crap?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009

16. viren

viren Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 960
    I say wait for Windows 7 64 bit as i suppose it will be much stable and better than Vista. And yes it is a fact that Vista is not upto the mark or has failed, hence Ms is coming up with Windows 7. Can anyone deny this fact?

17. Psytek

Psytek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 260 GTX 216 SLI
    vista was always fine - they were just selling laptops with it pre-installed which weren't powerful enough to run it. And windows 7 is 99% vista with a sprinkling of pretty new UI elements.

Get over yourselves. You think Microsoft is gunna make big sweeping changes when they know we'll all be fooled by a new taskbar?

There's nothing cool about pretending to hate windows, and lets face it, none of us do. It's a very good operating system, even the 'bad' ones like vista are still very good - we are just all very quick to make ourselves look big and clever by pointing out its flaws, most of which are exaggerated or caused by poor 3rd party support.

And don't get me started on people who think that their RAM should be 100% empty 100% of the time...

18. Eat The Rich

Eat The Rich Master Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GTX OC2 626/2000
    Providing you don't expect it to run super smooth with an old PC then yeah, I think Vista works great. I got Vista Ultimate x64 when I built my current rig (~Jan 08) and it's been solid, much quicker than most people give it credit for :)

Haha yeah, I don't wana go through that again either...

19. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 1080TI
    is(will be?) there a UPGRADE option from Vista 64 to Windows 7 64? i hope there will something like that.

20. DSK

DSK Banned

GPU:
    HD5770/BenQ G2220HD
    yeh whats what they say window vista > windows 7 should be smooth aswell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.