Is Vista going to be poor?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by SniperDaws, Feb 3, 2006.

1. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    I've played with the December release, and I still don't like it, will I upgrade to it? Most likely.

They have done well, but at the expensive of some things I don't agree on but overall you can't help but give them credit the way they lock you into their software.

2. SniperDaws

SniperDaws Banned

GPU:
    XFX7600GTXXX Zalman Vf900
    i cant get vista to boot on my system, it installs ok, but then it just gets to the longhorn loading screen with the thingy the moves around, and then my system restarts and it just keeps looping, anyone got an Asrock board and got vista working?

3. Matariel

Matariel Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX285
    Like the EU, you're missing the point entirely.
    MS doesnt "lock you in" to use their bundled software, its completely your choice.
    Many people have chosen to use Firefox as their default browser, instead of IE, many people (like myself) have chosen to use another media player app instead of Windows Media Player.
    MS anti-spyware and MS antivirus will be exactly the same, you'll have the choice to use theirs if you want (and MS's apps work perfectly fine), or you can go somewhere else. In fact, MS antivirus requires a paid subscription to function, so "out of the box" you'll only have a 1-month trial, or something like that.

I cant stand the hypocracy of the EU when placing sanctions against MS for bundling their IE and WMP software with their OS, when Apple are bundling Safari, Quicktime and iTunes with their OS. Apple were never forced to provide a "bare bones" version like MS was. And as far as i know, there are a LOT less alternatives to Quicktime and iTunes on a mac.

But anyway, i'll be buying Vista later this year, but i most likely will not be using their bundled anti-virus software. I might use their anti-spyware program, having tried the beta, but i'll have to wait and see.

4. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    in a way they "lock you in" by forcing the installation of those applications whether you want it or not. when you remove them then it leaves junk behind everywhere especially the registry. not removing them leaves for potential conflicts with 3rd party software, leaving you once again stumped as to why something suddenly goes wrong when it worked fine before

great, just what we all need after a fresh install...a trial shareware proggy automatically outdated by default within a month of release.

i'll buy it only when a version of Nlite is available for it so i can remove the junk, tweak it right off the bat should i need to reinstall.....which will likely be plenty of times

5. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    By "Lock you in" I mean, unless you use Microsoft Office, they have the format of their Word Files in such a weird way you open it in any other program and the formatting is completely out.

That's one example, as I'm starting work don't have time, but I can see the forums as of late getting more and more filled with immature kids, no offense to some of the people that have been here for a while.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

6. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080 Mini
    I will be sticking with my copy of Xp pro well into 2008 as i see no reason, apart from making a rather large hole in your wallet, to having Vista.

7. Matariel

Matariel Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX285
    MS are using an open XML format for their document files in "Office 12", so you'll be able to open them in a lot more applications.

If you're one of those paraniod people who MUST remove all traces of MS software from their system (like Windows Media Player and IE), then go ahead.
    The problems you'll encounter will be much more serious with that software missing than if it was still there.

The spyware/antivirus software is different though, it is not critial to the operation of the operating system, and is not a system component like IE is.
    Its just the same as having MS Paint. Sure, MS want you to use their paint program, but theres nothing stopping you from using Photoshop or anything else. Its the same was with Windows Movie Maker. Some people might still use it because they dont want to shell out a few hundred for a more professional editing program, but theres nothing stopping you.

MS paint and Windows Movie Maker are even windows components, meaning you can go into "Add/Remove Programs" and deselect them in the "windows components" section, removing them from your system.
    You may even be able to do this at installation of Vista, like you were able to do for Windows9x operating systems.

8. Finchwizard

Finchwizard Don Apple

GPU:
    -
    Actually their new XML stuff is still partially locked in.

And they can submit it to the standards people, but it's going to take years to be approved and able to be used by other Applications.

By then they will have changed their standards again.
    They give with one hand, and take it away with the other just as quick.

9. shrapnel22

shrapnel22 Master Guru

GPU:
    Chaintech 6800GT @ 400/1100
    I feel a more prudent question (for those of us who are University/college students, or anyone with no job and large expenses) is this: Is Vista going to make me poor?

I heard months ago(sorry no ref links) that there would be something like 6 versions of Vista, all at different price points, ranging from basic --> Vista extreme ultra XXX edition. I saw $599.99 on the first page but...

So my question is really, does anyone have any ideas about anticipated prices for either basic or pro, (box or OEM), or any other versions that may exist?

10. Matariel

Matariel Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce GTX285
    Vista will most likely be expensive at launch, but im hoping MS will provide a "student pricing" model, like they're doing now with WindowsXP and Office.

11. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition
    i use both media player and IE, but ever since i used nlite and got my os size to 200mb's i have far less problems..no nagging error messages and everything runs faster.

my point was directed for thos who dont know much about pc's...and theres many many people like that...let me use my g/f as an example...after installing her 3rd party mcafee program, she recieved complaints from ms security center, she was confused, found them annoying and thought something was wrong, later her whole pc screws up and wont boot from apparantly a conflict with a previous AV that came with the computer...she didnt know enough to remove it beforehand...thats the kinda stuff i'm talkn about, not everyone knows to remove something or do this and that

12. markkleb

markkleb Member Guru

GPU:
    HIS X800GTO IceQ II oc 500/615 mhz
    Can you imagine computers without windows? I look forward to Vista.(hope its free, LOL)

I hate dos.