Is this the original trilogy (UNALTERTED)

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by pimp_gimp, Dec 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Well, I'm having the urge to watch the Original Star Wars Trilogy again, and only have it on VHS, and don't have a VCR, anyhow I was thinking of purchasing it on DVD, but have one question about the following link

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Trilogy-Harrison-Ford/dp/B001EN71DG/ref=pd_cp_d_0

Is this the original theatrical Edition UNALTERED (ie Greedo shoots first, Elder Anakin replaced with Young Anakin) as its the one I want.

2. ST19AG_WGreymon

ST19AG_WGreymon Guest

GPU:
    eVGA RTX2070
    Taken from a review on right on the page:

3. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    ok, thanks, I read through a few of the other reviews, and most of them were just whining, missed the 1st one, nice to know that they are the originals, and NOT the stupid altered special editions.

4. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    I have three different sets, and was amazed to see the 'altered ' version wasn't as altered as you'd think.Besides the addition of things that weren't there in the originals, they all look about the same as far as sound and effects go.

5. Zareph

Zareph Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire NITRO+ RX480 4GB
    I have the trilogy in another type of DVD box, but there's only the altered versions in that. Although, exactly as Palerider points out, the differences are so minor, you'd have to actively look for differences to spot them.

6. Joey

Joey Guest

GPU:
    2600XT + Panasonic S10
    I don't get the bitching. What's wrong with the improved versions? God forbid anyone actually wanting to see the films without crappy blue screen matting and with no crud and dirt over all the optical effects. :rolleyes: Sure there are some janky CG characters doted in here and there; but there are actual 'muppets' and teddy bear midgets in the originals; so it's hardly the pinnacle of cinematic art that needs defending... is it?

7. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    Vader's lightsaber is pink in the "re-mastered" editions - fail

and to the OP, yes this is the original ones shown in the cinemas

8. XLR8R

XLR8R Member

GPU:
    Asus/6870/1024mb gddr5
    I remember the feeling after watching the movie... We all gave money for watching the same s***
    Imagine playing (and paying) "remasterd" game and then find out that thay only added two or three effects :biggun:

9. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    They didn't anything that actually improved the story, just some stupid CGI changes over the original effects.

10. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    A couple examples are Luke's Snow Speeder in Empire- you could see snow through the black part of the window frame.Also, there were fuzzy blobs to hide the wheels on his Land Speeder.Things like that were fixed.Things that drove Lucas nuts, but we probably wouldn't have noticed.Once the technology changed, he was finally able to go back and correct them.
    Many people don't realize the original DVD release took forever to release, and when they finally were, they were already somewhat enhanced.( listen for the famous storm trooper head bump in the cell block scene)So unless you are an old fart like me, you never saw the "original" unless you went to the theater in the 70's.
    I think the only real outrage fans feel is who shot first- because it completely changes the dynamics of the scene, and inserting Hayden Christensen in the end. IMO It was a great idea, and if he weren't such a piss poor actor, it would have better received.

11. pimp_gimp

pimp_gimp Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super SLI
    Hmmm, well considering the releases of the original series was '77, '80 '83, pretty sure I've sure I've seen the originals. ROTJ came out the year I was born, and can remember watching it later in the 80's when I like 5 or 6. As it was the 1st of the original trilogy I saw (as my parents had taped it off TV). I then saw the rest of the Trilogy later, when I was like 8 or 9. I mean yeah, yeah the specially effect may have been remastered to look better, but in my mind it still messes with the time it was originally created, a time where special effects weren't all CGI (and were of an art form) Hell I've seen interviews with special effects teams nowadays, and they all like us, bragging about their powerful machines and what they can do with it.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  12. TeX_UK

TeX_UK Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FE
    I have the origonal trilogy on vhs there has been 3 versions released the origonal,the remarstered version with extra footage & the latest versions with the new Anakin & cgi etc added.The origonal is the best version...

13. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    What's the shooting first scene? Link? We have them on DVD and two diff versions on VHS.

14. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    The Greedo/ Han solo scene in the cantina. It was altered to make Greedo shoot first, but in the orig, it was Han

15. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    Oh right, in my memory it was always Han who shot first. Our VHS must be that one.

*edit* just watched on youtube, it looks stupid the one where Greedo shoots first I like the Han shooting better.

16. Sash

Sash Ancient Guru

GPU:
    video
    the first time i saw it on TV was in 1997 and that was i think the broadcaster used the VHS tapes released in 1980 as the source, so i almost saw the "original" ones, well apart from the title being A New Hope and the head against the cell block door thingie, which i never saw

edit: actually i think it iwas the VHS specials from 1997 because i remember now they say A New Hope, and in the VHS from the 80's it was still Star Wars

Last edited: Dec 11, 2009
  17. dcx_badass

dcx_badass Guest

GPU:
    Palit GTX 1060 6GB
    There's a few versions out, as there's no cgi fixed but extra footage added.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.