Is this the GeForce RTX 3080?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 6, 2020.

1. svan71

svan71 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    I hope not.

2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
  3. George Jensen

George Jensen New Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Waterforce
    I think it is going to be a "Put Up or Shut UP" deal this year with both on the high-end side. My Waterforce RTX 2080 Extreme was $900 plus tax in the beginning. But if you want upwards of 170 fps at 1440 that's what you pay. I often wonder if by pricing the xx80 and xx80ti series cards crazy high is their way making the xx60 and xx70 cards look like better deals. Yes I agree, we all need a Ryzen type GPU thing to happen to Nvidia like the CPU thing did to Intel. I was looking for a factory water block on a RTX2070 when I bought this Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce RTX2080 Extreme (What a mouth full) for $900 plus. Now I'm hooked, So instead of my wife new car having a Honda logo on it now it will say Nvidia. Won't she be thrilled.

4. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    5 pages of replies for something that look like a really bad looking cheapo card and a super basic amateur 3d model :/
    I really hope it's not the official 3080 it's ugly

5. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 Gaming X
    I'm thinking the opposite here.

nVidia fear what AMD have in stock and they're probably looking at AMDs recent success with CPUs and how they're priced compared to Intel. Nvidia did an attempt to sell GPUs for $999/$1199 MSRP but noticed that not too many people were ready to pay the price even through the 2080Ti didn't have any competition. I think they'll try to meet the competition from AMD head on with a really good card at a competitive price.

carnivore, Maddness, -Tj- and 2 others like this.
  6. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    I kind of like it but that silver thingy looks weird, it'd look nicer in all black.

7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2070 Super
    Is that a push / pull fan set up? Seems a bit... odd. Certainly different to what's been the norm. Assuming that the intake is the rear of the card where the PSU plugs are and the outtake is at the front of the card would this not mean that the card is pulling cooling air that would normally be used for the CPU? On top of that the card looks massive, at least in terms of the PCB shown in the wire frame meaning that the entire back end of the card looks to be dedicated entirely to accommodating the odd layout of the fan at the back of the card.

I am not convinced this is going to be the big shake up that NV wants us to think it is, the looks and design of the card scream distraction. Look at the really odd design of the card with my fancy metal car body work style piping and the way we've gone for an odd layout to the cooling solutions just don't look at the performance.

Then again let's see what happens when HH benches one of these things.

8. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 390
    Ugly. It looks like eyeglasses from 1970's.

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT Nitro+ SE
    Anyone else remember this?
    Capture.JPG

I expect AMD to do the same with RDNA2, obviously it will be pitched against the 2080Ti but I strongly suspect them to clearly beat the 2080Ti and for a substantially lower price point. It is what they HAVE to do.

AMD calling RDNA2 their "halo" product.

AMD saying they want to "disrupt 4K 120fps gaming"

AMD being inside both new consoles with the latest tech, Zen2, and RDNA2.

AMD has never said this sort of stuff before, we haven't seen this much confidence in them for years. And now with that extra Ryzen money flowing in and regained strength and confience we could see big things.

New consoles will be 10TF and 12TF.... these are consoles guys, with fast NVME storage, and the latest CPU architecture..... all this has to meet that sub £500-£600 mark.

AMD dont have to beat the 3080Ti, all AMD has to do is bring 20-30% more than 2080Ti performance to the masses and meet that magic £600-£700 mark. The icing on the cake would be if they could actually be faster at RT than the 2080Ti.

AMD just need to let Nvidia price themselves out of the market for AMD to take a lot of market share. Couple this with the new consoles using ALL AMD and game devs will have to start optimising for AMD.

I hope my gut feeling is right, I never got hyped for Fury, Polaris, VEGA, etc.... This just feels different. Fingers crossed though as it could force Nvidia to alter pricing if this effects sales.

AsiJu, carnivore, Fediuld and 4 others like this.
  10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The XsX is 50CU clocked very low. The PS5 has 2070s performance with just 36CU’s and staying under 200W. Big Navi is 80CU. Yes Nvidia is scared.

-Tj- likes this.

11. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX 1080
    I Would like to upgrade but no way unless they keep it between $400-500 my gtx 1080 only cost me around 600$ cad (450$usd) ffs as it stands now cheapest 2080 befor taxes and shipping is 970$ cad (722$ usd)

12. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    To sell more cards AMD will just need to do what it is doing with it's CPU's, be close, beat it in some things and have a good price.
    Unless they have GPU's that can outperform Nvidia, did happen before so could happen again, in the last couple of years the main issue for AMD has been keeping that position long enough at several gaming ranges to create some serious impact.
    Nvidia has a lot more to lose every time when new GPU's are released and we for sure know that they don't want to lose on long terms.

Also we should not forget: ATI's prices have been too high. The Radeon HD 5870 was in fact launched at 399 USD, but quickly rose (artificially) to 470 USE because there was no competition.

PS4 and Xbox One did use all AMD too, so nothing new there in regards to developers having to start optimizing, just look at some of the bad ports...
    It would benefit PC gamers more if MS aligned the Xbox OS even more with Windows 10, so that developers would have to change minimal to nothing for porting over.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  13. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I'd like to see you do better.

no

14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Just for context. The 50CU in XsX could out perform the 2080ti if clocked higher. The PS5 shows RDNA2 clocking north of 2.2Ghz (Cerny even jested that they could have clocked higher).

Nvidia would be foolish not to take AMD serious, and Nvidia is not foolish.

carnivore and -Tj- like this.
  15. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Peoples, who said NVIDIA don't care about consoles, need honestly to get out of their cave. Now, we have a global pandemic + global recession, a 400 -500 USD "4k" console is starting to make a lot of sense for a lot of people.
    Plus people of 20 or younger barely know how to use a computer now a day, a smartphone & a console is all they need... If I were a NVIDIA share holder and Jensen didn't care the slightest about the next gen console, I would not be happy at all.

Fediuld, -Tj- and Loophole35 like this.

16. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    They usually wait with their Titan and Ti to reclaim their throne if they should lose it, they would also be able to compete by dumping prices even if that would mean losing some income, keeping the pole position is more than important for a graphics card giant like Nvidia.
    Worst case scenario for Nvidia would be AMD keeping something in the dark to counter with.

17. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3090 Gaming X Trio
    What i'm concerned about is that to this day the 2080-ti still sell at the price it had on launch, implying we most likely are going to have a RTX 3XXX serie along the same prices?!

They release the 3XXX serie at current 2XXX serie prices, and then align the price of the 2XXX serie with RDNA2 prices?

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Nvidia does care, but unlike AMD Nvidia's bread and butter are GPU's, AMD has CPU's and chipsets to go along with it, neither do we know the details around AMD's deal with Sony and Microsoft.
    It is probably also close to impossible for Nvidia and Intel to get to an agreement supplying the better offer.

19. geogan

geogan Master Guru

GPU:
    3070 AORUS Master
    I always know exactly when the new NVidia cards are about to drop when i start getting emails from the big computer sites here giving great discounts on the current models... as soon as I see specials on the 2080 series I know it will be within a few weeks for 3080 series release. Got nothing like that yet. Stupid prices on 2080 series have not changed at all since launch. Although I see current owners are beginning to panic - I see an increase of the usual "1080/2070/2080 for sale - only a week old, never used, free gift" type bullshit second-hand adverts trying to flog their two year old cards. The sickening thing is they are still looking for 600 EURO or more for 1080Ti right now. Can't wait for 30x0 series to come out so the 10x0 and 20x0 series second-hand prices drop like stones.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    carnivore, Fediuld and dark_surge like this.
  20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 2080 Dual OC
    This is the type of story I pay attention to for when looking at GPU rumors. Something completely original and not based on the usual expectations which anyone can just make up.

-Tj- likes this.