1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this PSU any good?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by flexinho, Jan 2, 2019.

1. flexinho

flexinho Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 2060 S 8GB
    [​IMG]

I have this PSU in my prebuilt Acer Nitro N50-600 with an i7 8700, 16GB of DDR4 RAM and a GTX 1060 6GB. I just want to know if this PSU is any good, because i maybe want to overclock my GPU sometime or upgrade to a 1070 or future 2060?

The PSU has one 6-pin and one 6+2 power connector. The GPU in this PC uses one 6-pin connector and is a strange type of reference design. NVIDIA Inspector says it is from Sapphire (even if i thought they just make AMD custom designs).

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    3x12V rails with max output of 432w.

432W devided by 12 = 36amps

PSU looks cheap. Idk how stable it will be when you push that system.

flexinho likes this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    I actually bought this to power my new rx580 a week ago.

It has single 12v rail with a 57A and max output of 678w. I like single rail PSUs compared to multi rail. It costs only 40Euro so i would recommend you do change that PSU to be on the safe side.

[​IMG]

flexinho likes this.
  4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    That's a cheaper group regulated PSU, better replace it for peace of mind.

flexinho likes this.

5. flexinho

flexinho Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 2060 S 8GB
    Thanks for your replies! :)

Maybe i will buy a new one someday but not now. ;)

For my conscience it would be great if someone could tell me if the numbers of my PSU are at least acceptable because i know that OEM PSU's can be very bad and even break PC's shortly after the warranty ends? I don't need 700W and if i buy a new PSU it will be a branded one like from beQuiet with 550W at the most to be completely safe. :D

Does anybody had experiences with LiteOn PSU's or even had the same one and can tell me how it works for them or if these numbers are too low and will break my PC in one year of time? I play a lot of games like Assassin's Creed Odyssey and in that game especially my CPU temps are really high, so i am a little worried. Most of the time the CPU temps are at around 65-70° but it goes to a maximum of 90° for a short time. I am just a bit worried about the lifetime of this build. :(

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    That PSU will be ok in the short term.

Don't overclock anything though, that'll be just asking for problems.

A quality 550/650w isn't that expensive.

Remember, the PSU is the most important component in a computer.

7. flexinho

flexinho Member Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 2060 S 8GB
    I have another question regarding the temps of my CPU:

In "normal" games like Shadow of the Tomb Raider my CPU temps are at around 60-65°C which should be absolutely fine. In AC:Origins and AC:Odyssey my temps peak at 90-95° for around 2 seconds. The CPU fan goes all out then and becomes really loud so the temps go down to 65-70° (most of the time - sometimes 80-58). This mostly (but not always) happens when i use the torch at night and all the dynamic shadows appear. Also sometimes in conversations. I limited my fps to 50 with a 144hz G-Sync monitor and play on High settings.

Could this regular spikes to around 90° for a few seconds damage my CPU or shorten it's lifespan?

My GPU is at 72° at the most (average at 65°) with a custom fan curve (MSI Afterburner). The only thing that worries me is the CPU. Why just the last two AC games let the CPU run that hot? Does someone here have some tips for me? :(

8. BlackZero

BlackZero Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega
    The minute you power up your system, you are shortening its life. Would 10 seconds at 80° C cause more damage than a second at 90° C? Probably not.

Put up with your current setup, and pray the temps don't go over 100° C on a regular basis. Alternatively, buy a new PSU, CPU cooler and possibly case.

Never buy a pre-built system unless you are comfortable with all the parts.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019