is this possible to do on vbulletin?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by serAph, Sep 11, 2003.

1. serAph

serAph Guest

TheDigitalJedi and I were talking, and we came to the conclusion that a lot of this forum's problems come from kids. 21 and lower. Would it be possible to implement an "adult forum" that would requre less monitoring and have less flaming and such in it? It would be a GREAT addition to what you already have.

Make it sorta like a mock version of what we already have now:
    + video hardware
    + general hardware
    + video software
    + general software
    -----------------------------------

Id help moderate it in a heartbeat! I wouldnt be that hard since the maturity level in it would be far greater.

Often times I get myself in trouble on this board b/c I forget that the person who flamed me is an immature teenager and then I flame them back before I can stop to think what could be the reason for his flaming...

2. TheDigitalJedi

TheDigitalJedi Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 24GB
    I think this is a great idea. I would love to help support a thread for older (age wise) Guru3d members like myself. I feel this would be a great addition to the Guru3d website. I would also help in moderating this forum if needed.

3. PixelDude

PixelDude Pixelated Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 6800GT (Albatron) on a 19" 8ms LCD
    Yes but then you will get kiddies that fake being over 18/21, Guru3D is really only for game hardware - not adult content.

4. David

David Guest

AGE DISCRIMINATION!!! :mad:

not all of us are bad. take me for instance. have i ever done anything wrong? ok bad idea. lol (j/k);)

5. serAph

serAph Guest

theres nothing we can do about false identification pixel, but this addition has a.) more than slight benefit, b.) minimal drawbacks - the sole one being the time it takes to implement it.

I honestly dont see why it would be a bad idea.

6. David

David Guest

ok im fine with it as long as i can stay since i havent done anything wrong.

7. bourbon

bourbon Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Raedon 9800 flashed to pro
    I don't like it either, but I don't think guru3d is about to become segregated. If you can't take the young folk, there are other hardware forums that don't have such a huge population of them.

8. Cogar

Cogar Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI NX6600GT
    I think it is a good idea, but as an "over 21" myself, I do not think it is in everyone's best interest. People learn by example. The reality is that the quality of posts now determines the quality of future posts. The examples we set will be the examples followed. If all of the "mature" posters (in social development, not in age) let someone with an inappropriate post know in a non-flaming way that their responses need to be more mature that will have a greater impact than a separate section IMO.

9. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    RTX 3090 24GB
    OOOOOOHHHHHH I'm so tempted to tell you where to stick that comment. :p

Guru3D is our home and this is where we're staying. Period! Let me express that I don't feel this way towards all users that are under 21. But unfortunately there are many that are very childish. This topic is just an idea that was thrown out there.

There is no reason to start suggesting that people may need to go elsewhere!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2003
  10. Titan

Titan Guest

i think it would be rather silly to split guru3d into 2 groups. First of all, it wouldnt work. The "kids" would anyways come running into the "over 21 forums"
    and if it WOULD work, the main part of the guru3d would be the "over 21" forums, while the other one would be some kindergarden.
    And then gurus wont be able to help each other in the same ways, like if the answer one is looking for is being held by people in the other part of the forum.

I really like this place and i dont want it to change like that.

11. bourbon

bourbon Master Guru

GPU:
    My point is the forums will not become segregated. If you can't stand all the obnoxious posters and we can't come up with another way to solve this problem, you'll have to go elsewhere.

12. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    RTX 3090 24GB
    I'm not going to get into a tit for tat with you about your comments. WE DON'T HAVE TO DO A DARN THING!

I said it once and I'll say it again!

Guru3D is our home and this is where we're staying. Period!

Have a good day/evening! :D

Last edited: Sep 15, 2003
  13. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino Staff Member

GPU:
    old
    Bad idea.
    Unless you buy me some beer, then I might change my mind :D

14. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    That's not gonna happen. This is not an age related platform. A 17 year old could need as much help with his/her hardware issues as a 40 year old.

15. TheDigitalJedi

GPU:
    RTX 3090 24GB

Understood bossman. The bulletin was just an idea we were tossing around. We didn't mean to cause ill feelings or have certain members develop knots in their underwear.

16. Dave

Dave Don Fredo Corleone

let me reverse that, our youngest mod started when he was 14, he has helped a lot of older members, including myself. I don't see the benefit, I know I've dealt with some users who are 21+.

17. bourbon

bourbon Master Guru

GPU:
    I'm not saying you should leave. If people like you left the only posters would be the people you are complaining about. What I'm trying to say is that I think this is not a good idea.

18. serAph

serAph Guest

the support forums would go unchanged, but I do think there should at least be a subforum for 21+. There isnt a single relaxing chat here @ guru b/c of all the teenagers running around. I know which mod you're talking about Dave, and he's a cool guy! :D Not like the others his age here...

19. WeaZel

WeaZel Guest

Heh...this is funny.

Kids grow up.....(some don't look at me, HA) No, seriously. If we were to split the forums by age. That'd turn bad.

20. Altazimuth

Altazimuth Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vapor-X 5870
    What the hell are you all on about? The Teenagers have a section of their own............ the Pub !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:heh: