Is this a quality M2 drive?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by topcat77, Mar 11, 2021.

1. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    on some looking into it, it seems not every ssd will do this, Intels are one of those that do.

2. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    That condition is merely a guess - but my Samsung has a life expectancy of something like 300 TB. In " The SSD Endurance Experiment" (2015) by Techreport Samsung Pro gave first errors at 600 TB starting reallocate sectors but did go up to over 2.1PB until died. The modern drives should last a couple of PB nowadays. I guess it's best to stop using a drive with less than 30 - 40% health at least for important stuff. Drives may die without warning.

3. topcat77

topcat77 Master Guru

GPU:
    gigabyte rtx 2070 s
    So heres an update. I ended up with a samsung evo 970 plus 1TB. I was a bit worried trying to install it as those screws were like tiny! I had 2 places to put it one under the gpu and other below the cpu. I chose the one below the cpu because it had a heatsink, and would be cooler than under the gpu and thought it would be closer to the ram and cpu (thinking shorter distance).

Over all the system seems to be more snappy. Some programs I use have large files (1 to 5 GB) with many 3d objects. It moved much faster. Its doing everything it was advertised to do and doing it. I watch like 100 youtube reviews on different drives and some said most wouldn't notice any difference. I am here to tell you thats not true.

Just want to say thank you so much!

cucaulay malkin and DannyD like this.
  4. DannyD

DannyD Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080S /2080ti
    I've never had a snappier system than right now, mouse on desktop feels excellent.
    my mobo sata is completely disabled.

5. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think for samsung drives this value is just %tbw left

you reckon m.2 pcie does anything for desktop ?
    I get accessing folders or apps,but mouse on desktop ?

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    The one under the CPU connects directly to the CPU and is usually only for NVMEs. The one under the GPU connects to the chipset, and is usually a combined NVME/SATA M.2. The best choice is the top one, although in practice there's no speed difference between the two.

Although as previously mentioned, you're better off not actually using the heatsink. I removed mine.

7. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 2080 Super
    If it is between 30-60C there is nothing to worry about, a good heatsink would get max down to around 45C without heating up the backside, thermal throttling happens around 80C for the 980 Pro.

Pictus likes this.
  8. Pictus

Pictus Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 5600 XT
    The trick is to isolate the heatsink from the CPU/case fans airflow, so they do not get too cold.
    Obviously it depends on the ambient temperature and case airflow.
    I used a simple piece of paper to isolate... :)
    SSD failure also happens when the controller dies and when it does, it is without warning.
    No way I will use a SSD without a heatsink, if the motherboard heatsink is too big, get
    something like this https://www.amazon.com/heatsink-double-sided-matching-thermal-silicone/dp/B07KDDKDNN

9. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    It stands to reason that controllers live much longer than flash cells :p

10. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    My 970 EVO on its own provided cooling (almost nothing other than thin spreader/sticker) idled in high 60s/low 70s and under load hit 75. Horrid temps.

I juggled between the thought of a spreader, which I was wary of damaging the product or active cooling, in the end fitted a side case fan blowing in on my case, it dropped the temps by about 15-20C at idle and about 10-15C under full load. The side fan may also be helping out other things in my case as well, but thats the measure I took.

The locations of the m.2 ports are a real headscratcher from the design department. This port the drive is in, is bang in the middle of my CPU and GPU.

11. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti FTW
    That's weird. I've put my 970 Evo Plus in the first slot, which is also exactly between GPU and CPU, and it currently idles at 40C with an ambient room temp of about 20C right now.

Maybe the CPU cooler is important here. I'm currently just using the stock AMD cooler. Maybe this kind of cooler affects the NVME, as it blows air towards the board.

Chrysalis likes this.
  12. Chrysalis

Chrysalis Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 FE
    I agree, the cooler is a noctua nh-d15s, I expect as you said if I had a traditional cooler, there would be some airflow over it.

13. cucaulay malkin

cucaulay malkin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I think it was a 256gb drive too.
    so it's been written over 2300 times before it died.
    with overprovisioning there is nothing to worry about really.