Is there any HD 3xxx-4xxx driver for Windows 10?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by berkayjan, Dec 27, 2018.

1. berkayjan

berkayjan Guest

GPU:
    gtx 560
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
  3. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    The only official driver from AMD is the WHQL driver that will get downloaded via Windows update. Afaik it's the same as the Legacy 13.9 driver but certified for Win10.

AlleyViper likes this.
  4. Although not listed on AMD's supported products faq; For the HD3xxx/HD4xxx that would be the AMD Catalyst 15.7.1 Driver for Windows (8/10/2015) - hotlink.

AMD incorporated native support for the series within this release which was the last to support Win 10. Seen.

EDIT: See AlleyViper post #9

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2018

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    there technically is but, it was only validated for early win 10 builds , and has since been removed from windows update catalog afaik
    ref:
    https://community.amd.com/docs/DOC-1313

drivers past 13.9 will not actually install anything, afaik it includes id's from older asics inorder to allow the driver to be installed on systems that have an older card installed alongside a newer card.

6. Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2018
  7. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Not again.
    Regarding that highlight, please take the time to look at what really matters in the .inf file.
    Code:
    "%AMD9440.1%" = ati2mtag_Legacy, PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_9440

Code:
    [ati2mtag_Legacy]
    FeatureScore=D1
    ;
    ; File sections
    ;

Zero, nada. That's what that driver installs for legacy cards, because it's incompatible. For some reason people (in good will) still insist to recommend similar/later drivers that only list legacy cards without bothering take a proper look at the .inf files.

Obviously, the same will happen with the WU 15.300.1025.0 driver that was listed above, for the same reasons @user1 pointed.

The last working driver that was published via WU that works on these cards is 01/13/2015, 8.970.100.9001 (driver only). This was published when W10 came out, but IIRC on 1809 it can give you trouble with Edge. ATM I don't have my HD4890 installed to check, or the onboard 4290 active.
    You can find direct links here. If you want the CCC and opencl (old libs, later won't work on these cards), just upgrade them via Device Manager over a W8 legacy 13.1, 13.4b, or W7 legacy 13.9 installation. 13.1's CCC will have more video options, but they aren't working anymore on most video decoding.
    They just "work", but avoid them for CF (second card won't use proper idle clocks, which means a lot of power wasted).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  8. ^Okay... bravo'? Yet people still are able to do it... I've done it, I linked a thread on it. I'm not trying to ... frustrate you or whatever the "Not again" ptsd is all about... :rolleyes:

read your reply on the inf, and thought it was the best thing to ever grace my screen in my life & then said this to myself. Why did I even bother writing "some finesse was involved for 3xxx/4xxx users etc," I know why - cause I was kind to expect the courtesy I afford to others to be returned to myself lmao.

Fun side-bar. A little info on the issue of modifying the releases for unsupported models. As with the Apple-MBP series, (Key in the unlisted device you need, then finish the remaining modifications/sign the driver as shown)

https://www.remkoweijnen.nl/blog/2015/09/21/update-amd-display-driver-under-bootcamp/

EDIT: See AlleyViper post #9

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2018
  9. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Sorry to come harsh on you, and I apologize for that. Unfortunately on almost every single thread about 2-4K series drivers someone does the same as you both did.
    And even when these later drivers were coming out with legacy cards listed again, every month someone out of the loop would always point them as compatible without bothering to test or at least take a proper look at the inf. And then 3 reboots later, there would be complaints that the drivers didn't work on their old cards that were suffering some issues on the only available drivers.

It's not a question of "finesse" for 3xxx/4xxx users. There's is nothing compatible on those 15.x drivers for them to work standalone, except probably the audio driver; this is because base HD2-4K support was completely taken out of drivers files from regular 12.6 and on. You can even create a frankenstein driver pack taking some parts of them with modding tools, and call it whatever version you wish via .inf, but the base driver files must always be taken from a legacy pack. Yes, I've also lost my fair time experimenting with that.

Please take a second look at the thread you've linked in the posts that follow. After the first post on the 3rd page those that got it working ended up using 8.x drivers from the old legacy packs such as W7 legacy 13.9 (or the later one on WU I've pointed with a legacy 13.4 CCC), not the 15.x present on 15.7.2.
    OTH, what happened with the Lenovo user is easy to explain.The upgrade to W10 probably migrated his very old driver and it resulted on a black screen. Then, after forcing the 15.7.2 installation, he ended up with image on screen because it switched to the MS Basic Driver, even if listed as HD3600M series (with error 43 if you open its properties), assuming WU failed to get him 8.970.100.9001.

Edit: Just to make it more clear, the example you gave for the 15' MacBook is doable because those cards are only missing their specific id on later driver packs -- those later drivers that only require an .inf mod (and the optional cat/cert) already have proper support for that GPU family, they're just missing that small detail.*

The problem for HD2-4K cards, is that from Catalyst 12.6 and on, drivers were completely re-written in a way that left out older DX10 cards, so no amount of .inf modification will make them work by themselves on legacy hardware. This was the reason AMD at the time created a new branch of "legacy drivers" until late 2013 that were just hotfixes to the last compatible 12.4 driver (just like the later WU 1/13/15 driver offered for W10 users, that is basically a hotfixed 12' driver; it even uses a W7 .inf prefix).

*In the same way, on most pre 12.4 and later 13.1 legacy release, I had to resort to same tricks to make them recognize the HD3850 AGP. That card had an specific AGP hw id (even if it was a bridged PCIE gpu) that was arbitrarily forgotten on some releases.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  10. Well-written AlleyViper... I'll add the good-ole' strike out. Whatever I remember doing was obviously wrong & it's clear you're right here and I am wrong. Thanks for setting me straight. I feel bad you wrote that much...

Cheers'

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2019

11. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Any predictions if MS will manage to get HD2-4k cards to work on Win 1809? Doubtful that they would bother trying but they did mention them in the 1809 version notes as "Microsoft is investigating this issue".

12. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    @K.S. No problem, we all just want to help,
    Cheers!

@FunkyMike Right now, I'm on a HD4890 in 1809 17763.195 with the 13/1/2015 WU driver (paired with legacy w8 13.4b CCC). I'm yet to find other issues blacklisting these cards, but Edge isn't my main browser and lockscreen has been disabled for long. When the upgrade form 1803 to 1809 was done, a 7870 was installed at the time, so I can't confirm if these old cards can cause trouble during the upgrade.

Edge seems to run (didn't test properly/enough to experience a freeze), and FF (my main browser) is OK after more than a week of use. Under FF to have good performance with 1080p 60fps clips on twitch, I have to set media.gpu-process-decoder;false. Older DX9/10/10.1 and Opengl games are also working as fine as they ever did.

Edit: If you end up pairing the driver with a CCC from a legacy pack, all in those series (this started after 12.1) had an annoying delay that waited 5m to launch ccc.exe in the background via clistart.exe (which could also result in a delay for some your manual settings, and also losing program focus by then). This can be avoided by changing Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\ATI\ACE\Settings\CLI\Delay from 300 to 0.

Edit2: If you install a legacy CCC, there are also 2 other small problems. Profiles don't seem to work, other than the currently applied 3D settings. So after creating a specific game profile, if you reset general 3D setttings to default, the previously saved profile doesn't seem to be applied. IIRC, this problem was also present in the W8/W8.1 days when these legacy packs came out.
    On every windows shutdown/restart, "DDE Server Window" will be automatically forced to shutdown, taking a bit more time to shutdown than usual (this seems related to CCC.exe/mom.exe running). Still, this is better than the VC++ error "OK" prompt that happened some years ago on W8.1, as it doesn't require any user input.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  13. FunkyMike

FunkyMike Guest

GPU:
    ATI 6850m /Intel HD3000
    Thank you very much for the detailed xp report! For some time I have used an old HD4xxx Mobility for live streams. Ironically Edge was my go to browser since the video acceleration was more robust and faster than with Chrome. Guess that might also be changing once MS moves to Edge Chromium but who knows.
    Seems like from your experience forcing 1809 will not be a problem.

14. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    FunkyMike and AlleyViper like this.