Is there any difference putting the fans behind or in front of a radiator?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by death_samurai, Mar 29, 2012.

1. death_samurai

death_samurai Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    So i have gotten the corsair h100 cooling system.

I think the instruction booklet showed connecting the fans behind the radiator. While i saw some videos of the fans in front of the radiator. The radiator is supposed to be attached on the top of the casing.

Anyway any diff between attaching the fans in front or behind?

2. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Here's a video i see of this guy reviewing some fans.

He places the fans behind the radiator so it's pulling out the heat.

For me i put the fans in front of the rad so it's blowing unto the rad before coming out from casing

http://youtu.be/3qAvH3yJ_A8

Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  3. gunman127

gunman127 Master Guru

GPU:
    980Ti 6GB 960 2GB
    It's best to have the fans sucking air, so the frame holding the fan spindle isnt blocking some of the airflow to the radiator.

I recently added a plenum chamber to my 140mm intake fan... changed from 200RPM without the chamber being very noticable, to 800RPM with the chamber fitted and no noise at all!

4. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    Oic but i searched around on the net and there were ppl that mentioned the rad needs air to blow unto it to cool it. If the fans are placed where they are sucking the air out they wouldn't be blowing unto the rad and would it actually become hotter?

I noticed that on many heat sink designs they have 2 fans one to blow unto the sink and the other to suck out the hot air faster. So far i have not ever seen a design where it's just sucking out the air without a fan blowing unto something.

I just hope someone else owns the same cooler i own or has some WC setup and has done both before to save me the trouble of needing to change the position of the fans just to find out.

5. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    As long as you have the fans distrbuting *cool* air over the radiator fins to dissipate the heat then it dont matter unless you want higher temps and lower overclocks/instability success.

6. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    I doubt theres much difference either way.

Why not just test both configurations if you can? See if one happens to work a little better than the other. Just note your Ambient temps if you can, they'll have a direct impact on results.

7. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    If my rad was internal i would definitely have the air coming into the case from the outside,rather than out of the case as the warm air that is built up from mobo pcbs and ram etc blowing over the fins and out throught the case increases temps,beings as its a h100 i guarantee that the mosfets will not be cooled adding even more increase in temps.

This is why those early corsair water coolers i rated as crap as they did everything backwards with regards to correct/better airflow etc.

Watercooling isnt rocket science yet some people have no common sense hehe:)

8. Lukc

Lukc Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI gtx970
    just for info... all cars have fan behind radiator.. OK, there's other reasons why's that too but, they all (or almost all:p) cool down it right? :D

my thinking.. if fan is in front of rad then it pushing a lot of air into rad which might come out with over pressure.. but if you put fan behind the rad fan can frelly puch all the air he can get away.. but in this case there might be under pressure between rad and fan..

my personal experiance (not on rad, but on case so there's smthing like "net" in front of fan or behind it... if i put fan in front of this "net" it stays silent. or almost silent. but if i put it behind the "net" it become way more noisy in high rpm thain if it's in front.. (noctua NF-S12 on HAF 912 case)
    performance wise.. i don't know.. best it would be if you try both options.. and tell us about the difference so we will know :p

9. death_samurai

GPU:
    Palit 970 GTX jetstream
    This guy here installed 4 fans unto the rad since the corsair allows 4 fans to be fitted in but they only provide 2 fans. 2 intake and 2 outtake.

His 4 fans aren't the fans provided by corsair but probably some better fans from some other brand maybe noctua i think that would really make the cooler work even better.

http://youtu.be/pJSVxMWd5sI

So far i have never really heard of ppl installing outtake fans without intakes. Like those heat sinks with 2 fans it's always an intake and an outtake. Those with 1 fan always have the fan blowing unto the heat sink. Of course it might work as well for the corsair rad even if i use the 2 fans as outtakes rather than intakes i don't know until i try it out which i won't.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2012