is there any chance we could do away with post counts?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by serAph, Oct 29, 2003.

1. serAph

serAph Guest

It'd kinda place people on a more even playing field, remove some grounds for flaming, and eliminate peoples feeling the need to spam which I think would make this forum a good bit more enjoyable.

2. Titan

Titan Guest

I disagree.

3. Junk

Junk Guest

why don't you share you arguments *for* post counts then?

4. Titan

Titan Guest

people know the reasons and im not gonna state the obvious.

5. serAph

serAph Guest

what if they arent obvious. Please enlighten us. Im sure you wont mind adding another post to your count :rolleyes:

can we get any commentary on this topic from someone official. please?

6. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    Post counts do actually show the majority of users who has been around for a while, who has posted a good amount of replies. The fact that a small minority feel the need to spam to increase an obviously depleted ego, should not effect the way forums are run.
    Post counts have always been a debating point, however i fail to see how removing the post count from members is going to help Joe Bloggs make his pc run faster. That is (at the end of the day) what we are all here to do.

If a post count means that much to someone, then fine, their petite life victory to get xxxx posts. I am here to help, so should everyone else.

edit: In addition, if someone is spamming or flaming, then just report it. Its your communitity too, we have provided the tools to help remove bad apples. Use them.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2003
  7. serAph

serAph Guest

well, I just think the benefit of having the post count visible isnt worth the negatives it brings along - like people who post one-liner comments on the end of every thread they see that arent spam (by definition), but arent helping at ALL, and terrible useless pub threads, like the 6 favorite movie threads we had going at one point or the 6 "do you like my sig/avatar" ones we recently had too, etc...

I think this forum would be a lot more help and a lot less crap if we had titles and join dates, but not post counts. Those of us who are serious would stay, and those of us who need a hobby would look elsewhere to waste their/others' time.

8. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    serAph. I agree, you are right. It would get rid of some annoying issues with a few guys that are worried about post counts and the associated titles. However you will still get people that just post one word replies anyway. Remember the comments section a while ago ? (Before the new one which requires people to be registered) People posted one word, or one sentance replies just for the shere hell of it.
    A few of us went through virtually every single post on that comment section, deleted one word crappy replies, and somedays still had to close the section down.

The easiest way to get rid of annoyances is to deal with the cause and not the symptoms. I see post counts and titles as symptoms. In a form, its just anti-social. If we (as a community) reject anti-social people, then those people will leave or go to the other extreme and get themselves banned. Either way we (as a community) win. The hard part to all of this is not the anti-social people, but convincing the general everyday guy/girl that dealing with issues is better than dealing with symtoms.

This is analogous (spelling) to Vietnam. (and yes i am being a little controvertial). The americans saw the problems in Vietnam, and decided to take extreme actions and carpet bomb the place (dealing with the symptom of the problem. Enemy troops are the symptom of politics and local support / fear of a particular party) without much interactions with the local people who they were trying to protect. The same situation occured in cambodia. The English didnt have the resources to bomb the whole of cambodia even if they wanted to. Instead they spoke to the locals, set up supply shops to win local trust and gain information about the enemy. They then made small sorties to take out the root cause of the conflict while giving the locals their trust and respect. The cambodia situation dissolved, where as the vietnam war did not. The only way it ended was when the US Army left.

9. Elleomea

Elleomea Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Mobility 9000 (M9)
    What about replacing the post count with a system that encourages positive behaviour? E.g. a sort of karma system where each user can vote + or - on another user, this is implemented in YaBBSE but I'd expect there to be a plugin for VBulletin as well, there are for most major board systems.
    That way not only can someone who's new be able to judge the value of someone's advice better, but also spammers will be discouraged because their actions would lead to a low rating.

10. Driver 7

Driver 7 Member Guru

GPU:
    2 6800's
    I Disagree. It sucks but it has way more advantages than it has disadvantages. I For one bloody hate the word noob. It's hella degrading and it I'm sure it can intimidate a person who's fairly new to forums and the "community". I have never been called one but felt bad for guys just trying to figure some **** out. In real life I'd compare it to a room full of guys pointing and laughing in some sinlged out individuals faces.
    I am going somewhere with this. I'm really not venting here. lol
    However. There are lots of good points. I think it helps fake ya feel more like a member. I like seeing my stats. Myself being only a few years into computers am enjoying watching the amount I have posted grow. I have hit arround 300 on the forum I hang in the most. That makes me want to post more. So I end up reading more of others posts and getting involved in debates and discussions about every day ****.
    And I really want to know who is telling me who is telling me the defination of CAS latency and what I should be setting my Vcore at so I can hit 260FSB. A post count will hold a little bit of ground. I asked alot of questions in the begining and there are hella people who have there info bass ackwards.
    I think the rating's are cool. I would like to apply for a PG rating in advanced.
    And so what if there are threads that you find useless man. Everyone has a different opinion. I had a post a few weeks ago on my water finally being completed with pics. Most of the replies were "cool", "like it", "awesome", And "I like the Coke can". :D
    Man that thread is the apitamy useless. But some were in the mood for it. Others are completley into it. Some probally had no intrest in it what so ever. different strokes brother. Accept it.
    Peace

11. Ant

Ant Don Michael Corleone

GPU:
    2 x Inno3D 9600GT 512MB
    Good points all round so far. Its good to see.
    I am about done with this though really. Everything i have had to voice about this issue has been said. My final comment;

A forum is for people in a community to chat and help each other out. No matter how much technology, amount of options, number of mods, rules (etc) that we throw at the problem. It will never go away unless we as people stand and reject anti-social people. If this doesnt happen then we have only ourselves to blame for not saying something.

Bottom line. The post count stays, the titles stay, and there will be no extra module we will implement in VB. (There are other reasons for that too, but i wont go in to them)

12. Malachim

Malachim Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 9700 Pro
    Just to weigh in with my thoughts.

I have no problem with the post counts or the titles associated with them. I also don't take either very seriously.

If you hang around here long enough, you know who is serious and who isn't. You also know who contributes and how. The bottom line is those that do need help when they come here get it 99.9% of the time. This is a tribute to all of you who have the knowledge and are willing to share it to help others who are not as technical or, for whatever reason, cannot figue out the solutions to the problems they are having.

On the other side of things, like the pub, there are plenty of fun, weird and intreguing threads and those that contribute to them. I think most of us enjoy those threads and like to contribute ourselves.

As for the spam threads, well, I personally don't like them much but I respect those that wish to go there. I think I posted there a couple of times. Those that know me know that my spam thread is the babe thread :).

Anyway, to close out, I think Ant made some great points in his post and I think he's right or at least I agree with it. Just don't take the counts so seriously and all is well!