Is there a way to force 75 hz refresh?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Lowki, Mar 25, 2013.

1. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    Hey guys I just got a new 46 inch hdtv and am using it as my gaming monitor lol. Ok I found out the tv recognizes dvi. I plugged in a dvi to hdmi converter. Took away all the false edges I don't even have a sharpness option anymore. That's the nice thing anyways the drivers are telling me that the maximum refresh rate reported is 75mhz. I can only see 60 hrz refresh rates. Also I get a chug seemingly every second like frames are missing out of the cycle. tested a 50 hz res and this feeling is extended. This is not the best tv in the world so I'm guessing it displays at 75hz no matter what and the chug is from the lacking few extra frames. My problem not is how could I go about forcing 75hz vsync??? Please tell me someone has the answer or I will be returning this tv asap. also the other nice thing is I get auto 6500k setting from the card through edid.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  2. IcE

IcE Don Snow Staff Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Mini
    Max refresh rate isn't necessarily defined as you're thinking. It's simply a measure of the absolute maximum the TV can output at any setting. At the native resolution, it's unlikely it's capable of doing more than 60Hz.

3. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

The max refresh rate is most likely only possible at lower resolutions. My LCD also reports 75Hz as the max refresh rate, but I can only use 75Hz at 1024x768 (my native res is 1600x900).

4. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    Yeah its probably only for vga. I also realized im probably being way too picky. It actually has a pretty nice picture :) I tried refreshforce I think its pretty outdated though didn't do anything.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5700XT+AW@240Hz
    Standard and even 1000$ TVs today which use HDMI inputs only 60Hz, unless it's nVidia 3D TV capable, then there is usually problem with getting 1080p anyway.

Just note All HD7000 support newest HDMI which is capable to do 1080p @120Hz. It's just TV manufacturers are lazy or saving money and not upgrading.

Now as you talk DVI->HDMI. Some TVs have one of HDMI ports which accepts DVI signal from such converter and in that case behaves as true DVI.
    And unfortunately there are some models which state it on port, but does not support this feature.
    (I had such LG, it was supported by older model and they were using that same body to make new TV w/o internal support.)

I would say that if it stutters because of poor image processor, send it back.

6. crookedview

crookedview Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    I use CRU (custom resolution utility) to run my monitor at 75Hz: http://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

Just add the custom resolution, and I use the 'best for LCD' timing option, and set the refresh rate to 75Hz.

I can verify that it's running 75Hz in my monitor's OSD menu. Makes a big difference with games, that's for sure!

7. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    Yeah I will be returning the tv later today the stuttering is consistent. Thanks for the help this thread can be closed.

8. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Maha Guru

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
  9. Scout

Scout Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x GTX 980Ti
    feel sorry for manufacturers witch all these people overclocking their monitors and ending up to RMA them

10. Mr Terry Turnip

Mr Terry Turnip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1060 Gaming X
    You feel sorry for the manufacturers lol you gotta be kidding.

Anyway my TV was a £1800 TV and 2012 TV of the year - still 60hz.

All the marketing BS is just that, BS, manufacturers realized they could sell TV's with hz numbers, and actually re-did how TV's actually refresh, for example all this 400hz/800hz is not 400hz/800hz AT ALL, it's a complete lie due to them actually splitting the TV into sections anyway I cannot be bothered going into depth.

Point is 60hz is what your gonna get with hooking you PC to a HDTV end of story.

Luckily I am happy with that for now, however mate here is a large tip to help with, what sounds like stutters?, make sure you cap all your FPS to 60 and use VSYNC and you will love it, I know I do.

Mind you I use a Controller to play though.

Anyway good luck and once you get used to it it really is a fantastic fun way to game, I have not had a desk/monitor/mouse for YEARS now and I would not go back for large money.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013

11. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    I didn't over clock my tvs refresh rate no program worked. It just has juddering so im returning it. at first in my drivers said that it could do 75 hz now it says 60... Had my son watching cartoons on it played through the pc that played just fine. Any game I play just juggers a tad like every second. Seems like theres a stutter every refresh cycle I cant put up with that.

12. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Maybe if monitors were good enough, they wouldn't need overclocked :p

13. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Uhm you cant destroy a monitor by using higher refresh rates, the monitor either works with the refresh or doesnt. Theres no in between. IT working for a week then die aint gonna happen

Higher True 120hz/240hz arent marketing BS. 480hz lcds arent actualy 480hz, they use a fake technique to achieve that, 480hz would be marketing ploy. some 240/120hz are also using this same technique, but all 3D tvs are true 120hz at the minimum. A plasma is 600hz is divided in 10 subfields that each have their own 60hz, this still looks better than regular 60hz tvs. Regardless, i pity the people who use 60hz, thats a terribly slow mess and painful to watch

14. Groovy-Music

Groovy-Music Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 AERO OC
    Hello !

Make sure you are setting the HDTV at "Game Mode" or something similar or otherwise your TV will be most probably filtering and processing the image as if it was a movie or a Tv show.... (input lag(due to image processing time), screen corruptions, anomalies and various frame rate and fluidity inconsistencies if you have a 120hz "ClearFrame" or "AutoMotion" feature to create "in-between" images to make the movies more fluid)

Setting the TV to GameMode is really important and is specifically meant to avoid that with a PC or console.
    I hope you didn't return the TV because of an omission of setting it to GameMode :)
    Changing for another will very unlikely get you up to 75z@1080p.
    Most HDTV's are currently designed to output from a 60hz source, such a DvD/BluRay player, the cable and the current consoles.

Regards

There's a forum section on Guru3d discussing Tv's :
    http://forums.guru3d.com/forumdisplay.php?f=50

15. meatloaf2

meatloaf2 Member

GPU:
    MSI Twin Frozr 3 7850 2GB
    Yes I have had my TV for over a year now and was having some hue issues in one of the corners, really upsetting as whenever in a brown environment the bottom right has a green tint to it, nothing is going to fix it but money.

Anyway moral of the story is that I messed with the settings a couple weeks ago and inadvertently turned on game mode to see if it made a difference. Lo and behold everything was much more responsive, the color was still screwed (it's really not that bad, just annoying when you notice it, and it is not even seeable 95% of the time) but at leas everything runs smoother now haha.

Also, I can say that I have no desk, only a bed, a ps3 controller, wireless kb/m and a 40" HDTV. No productivity problems as I lean against the wall and have the KB on my lap with mouse on a mouse pad beside me. Controllers for games that benefit and you got yourself an awesome setup. 60Hz is absolutely fine as long as you cap the frames to 60 with msi afterburner or something and leave vsync off (it adds a noticeable amount of lag). When using a controller vsync is fine to have on as it is very difficult to notice the lag that vsync adds without the 1:1 movement of a mouse.

/Ramble

16. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
    Well guys I fixed the problem.. Got a new tv http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3906381&CatId=37 this thread has gone way off topic lmao. the 3d is pretty cool deus ex works but im only getting an 24 hz refresh option for 3d is that the games limitation or my tv? I didn't get this tv for the 3d but its a nice extra. p.s the old Tv didn't have a game mode. I went out on a limb and got a Westinghouse I have a monitor by them and was pretty decent there Tv's are pretty horrible though.

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Thats a 60hz tv. meh. and 24hz is because hdmi has limited bandwidth, dont know what spec its using though.

18. Lowki

Lowki Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2070 xc ultra
  19. einsteinlool

einsteinlool Member

GPU:
    Radeon HD 6650M 1Go DDR3
    :rock: Absolutly Great ! u just resolve my problem , i have asked AMD support , Acer support : no one gave me a solution , but now all my problems gone :-O

i haved a flickering problem when updating my driver with my monitor and in many games even with hight FPS rating ...

but i have used this tools to up my monitor refresh to 75Ghz and all flickering gone :) , i now using lastest AMD driver version !

thank u man , thank u very much :banana:

ps : can u tell me if there is risk using thing tool to overclock to 75Gkz ?
    and sorry about my bad english ^^

20. crookedview

crookedview Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Well, I've been running my Samsung 225BW at 75Hz for about six months now with no ill effects. I'm sure there's some extra wear on the monitor components, but it's well worth the tradeoff in my opinion.