Is there a switch that allows you to go between PC speakers & headphones/ mic?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by dominant1, Jun 19, 2011.

1. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Evga Gtx1070 Superclocked
    I have a set of of 5.1 headphones with a mic attached that i use for online racing. When i'm not racing i want to hear audio through my Logitech 5.1 speakers without having to disconnect the cables in the back of my PC. This switch would have to have 5.1 connections for both devices and then plug directly into my xfi sound card...Any help is much appreciated!!!!

2. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSIrtx3070 gaming X
    Hi,i have the same problem but i have not found a way round it yet without buying a front port soltion like the x-fi titanium pro fatality

3. Li4m79

Li4m79 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xPalit GTX770 Jetstream
    have you got a sound card, or is it the onboard sound???

If its just onboard, why not buy a sound card, and then plug headphones into one, and speakers into another... then just enable/disable them as you need

you could also get a cheapy 5.1 usb dongle and do it that way...

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    If you're using Windows Vista or Windows 7....it's in the sound properties....right click on the speaker icon and select "playback devices"

The Creative software "should" have a similar feature to select the active output device as well...

5. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Ok guys right now my 5.1 analog headphones are plugged into my xfi sound card using 4 connections. Which means my 5.1 speakers cannot be, therefore no audio to the speakers. I'm looking for a device that enables both speakers and headphones active with the ability to switch between the 2 by a flip of a switch. I found a Plantronics device but it only allows stereo reproduction not 5.1.

Plantronics device: (stereo only)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
  7. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Thanks
    I cant find anything about being able to run this along with my internal sound card. Seems like its designed to extend laptop sound and pc's stuck with on board sound only. I'm wondering if it will cause a conflict. If this works i could just plug the speakers into it, and leave my headphones connected to my soundcard. Do you think that will work?

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    Being USB, it shouldn't conflict, though you can e-mail Creative's tech support and ask them. I had no issues running an X-Fi Go! with my XtremeGamer...you just switch the default audio device as needed, and disable the device that's not in use. That's what I did anyway...

9. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I was thinking, if i bought the external sound card as soon as i plugged the usb in, windows would recognize that i'm trying to install a second sound card. It will not install it because of my existing PCI sound card, so it will not work. Its like trying to activate on board sound and expecting the pci sound card to work as well. 1 cancels out the other..

10. momomo67890

momomo67890 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    285gtx/4750
    you could make your self one for very cheap

11. dominant1

dominant1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    This is creative response to my question:

Thank you for writing in to Creative.

May I confirm with you whether you are referring to the X-Fi Surround 5.1 Pro sound card?

It is advisable to disable the onboard sound card from BIOS when using our sound card. Please be informed that 2 sound cards cannot work simultaneously since only one sound card will be set as the default playback device. Kindly refer to the link below for instructions to set default playback device in Windows:

Setting the default playback device in Windows
    http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=64868

12. killer_939

killer_939 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1500
    I have used an audigy 2 zs, xonar dx and onboard all at once and could switch between them easy with 5 or so clicks. Adding more sound cards doesn't cancel others out.. You just need to change the default play back device.

13. mst3kld

mst3kld Member

GPU:
    (2) MSI 6950 2gb OC