Is there a difference between 144Hz and 144Hz Gsync/Freesync ?

Discussion in 'Computer Monitor Forum' started by BB Gun, Jul 30, 2015.

1. BB Gun

BB Gun Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G
    I want to know if anyone here has first used 144Hz monitor at 144FPS and then used 144Hz monitor with Gsync or Freesync at 144FPS and if they saw any difference.

I feel some of the people flipping out about it stepped up from 60hz panels. Moving from a normal 60hz to a normal 144hz panel is a huge change alone. I wonder if some are giving more credit to these technologies then they deserve.I am not trying to discredit the technologies I am just curious if some of the hype is just peoples first experience with 144hz.

2. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    In my personal experience, no. As your FPS increases the advantages offered by G-Sync decreases. At 100+ fps I can't tell the difference anymore.

It's really going to come down to the kinds of games you play. I have friends that solely play CS:GO. They get 200+FPS. I would never recommend a G-Sync monitor to them. Me though, sometimes I play CS:GO/SC2/Heroes of the Storm, in those games G-Sync generally does nothing @ 144Hz. Sometimes I play Witcher 3, Crysis 3, etc though. In those games my 980 can only spit out ~35-60fps. G-Sync makes that way more bearable.

3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I have been playing CS since 1.5 beta days and you are completely wrong. GSYNC is awesome for CSGO. I have never had the game running so smoothly and with zero input lag and with zero tearing.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well I disagree.

First of all simply running G-Sync in CS:GO without capping the FPS below the 144hz mark introduces roughly ~11ms of input lag. (http://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/preview2/)

Second, as you approach the refresh rate of the monitor it effectively synchronizes the push of each frame with the refresh anyway. Thus there is definitely a decrease in tearing as framerate/refresh rate increases. I've had a BenQ 2420T, Qnix 2710 @ 96, PG278Q and now a Acer XB270HU. I've never noticed tearing with my fps capped @ 288.

Third, the OP's question was if they saw a difference @ 144Hz/144Fps with G-Sync. G-Sync effectively becomes V-Sync at 144Fps. The newest Nvidia driver is the first that allows you to disable that functionality and uncap the framerate completely.

Then you have the whole pro argument about sub 300+fps anyway. All the pro's + tons of other people (it gets brought up on reddit CS:GO often) claim that capping the FPS below 300 results in noticeable increases in input lag. Blur Busters numbers support that, the average input lag on the 300fps V-Sync off is lower than the 143 capped similarly with both G-Sync/V-Sync.

Regardless, I think you'll find that most people agree, as the FPS in the game increases the benefits of G-Sync decreases. The most obvious improvements are all in the 35-60fps range.

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I can say that playing GTA5 on my old ASUS 144hz non-gysnc monitor had so much screen tearing it was just unbearable to play. When I got my Swift, the difference was night and day. But like the above poster says, that was around the 45-60 fps range. Even Dota2, which is what I play the most, benefits from it. It just makes the games feel so smooth.

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Idk, Dota is weird because I get framerate fluctuation in it, where it definitely drops below the monitors max refresh rate. There I get tearing and stuff, G-Sync eliminates that so yeah. CS:GO though, the FPS never drops below 300 for me. Enabling G-Sync adds ~11ms of input lag unless you cap the FPS @ 120. In which case that's adding 1.3ms of lag there + the engine is jittery garbage at that framerate with or without G-Sync (which is a known engine issue, all the jump map people claim that you can't hit the furthest jumps without 300fps due to the engine).

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    My 2 LEM, and 1 DMG account say you are wrong. I also have a few Global Elite friends on steam who all cap their frame rate to 250fps or 120fps.

Though I agree that vsync does create input lag if used on its own without GSYNC but with both on I can no input lag and still my frame time latency is around 0.4ms the whole time and never goes above it and no input lag that I can tell. Not like on a 60Hz vsync monitor which creates insane input lag we are talking about 144Hz/144fps here are we not.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Dude I'm not impressed by your CS:GO account, it's irrelevant to the discussion.

Like I said and have shown on a graph, G-Sync introduces 11ms of input lag @ 144fps/hz. You need to cap it at 120 to remove that 11ms and even when you do that you are adding 1.4ms of lag per frame. The original question was, is it noticeable at 144hz/144fps and the answer is no, because it's literally acting as V-Sync at that point.

9. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    How many CPC RedDawn's could there be?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/CPC_RedDawn1/screenshots

There is like, nothing worse than someone who uses false credentials to make an incorrect point. Silver? Really? I played this game literally a month never even saw a silver.

Regardless, your rank is utterly meaningless in determining your point. Every esport, every sport generally, every aspect of human life is full of experts who buy in to superstitions about their sport, or their hobby, or their craft. Your rank means nothing if it's real, and less if it's fake.

What does matter are the numbers posted above you. Those you can't argue about. Gsync is only even on if you're below your refresh rate. End of story. If you're above it, it's just vsync off, and the discussion is meaningless.

If you limit it to below your refresh rate, then you're marginally behind vsync off (or on, depending on setting), and CSGO being the crappy game it is, you're subject to all kinds of other limitations of the engine.

At best, at the very best, on the very best day, gsync on and limited and vsync off are equal. Every other time, vsync off is superior in every way. In CSGO at least

EDIT: Clarified a point

Last edited: Jul 30, 2015
  10. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Screen tearing is the best (worst) difference, and stuttering, regardless fps stuttering or micro-stuttering can happen.
    G sync really solves these two. (it won't help you if you have problems with HDD low speed or a game's engine has issues loading stuff).

11. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Can't really tell about that level of comparison, didn't have a 144Hz screen before my XB270HU. But definately, 144Hz does look a lot smoother than 59.95Hz (I never knew why I couldn't go for full 60, probably my crappy noname screen). And as Gsync comes into play, I don't even notice going below 60fps with 1440p DSR and all the eyecandy programs let me have :)

12. Cartman372

Cartman372 Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1660Ti
    GTAV is by far one of the worst games I've encountered when it comes to screen tearing. I can usually ignore screen tearing, but GTAV's was the worst.

13. CK the Greek

CK the Greek Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2060S
    Come'on....HOW is it possible for a game to be responsible for more or less screen tearing ???
    Actually :

1. monitor's panel quality is, no matter how much frames per second your PC can give,

2. V-sync OFF is,again regardless fps.