Is there a “Catch All” Tweak to solve the notorious UE4 Asset Streaming+Shader Compilation Stutter?

Discussion in 'Game Tweaks and Modifications' started by BlindBison, Apr 4, 2022.

1. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Has been broken for me since version 1.0.

BlindBison likes this.
  2. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    It's Iron Galaxy, The same studio that screwed up big time with the port of Arkham Knight. Another game that to this day, still has issues with stutter.
    I hope Sony doesn't give these morons any more games for them to ruin.

BlindBison likes this.
  3. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
  4. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks for the link, great video, but I wish he would’ve included “Fix Asset Streaming/Traversal Stutter” in his list. It’s really become a common problem seems to me.

Many games exhibit this issue in a repeatable way and I’m very confused why DF recognizes the shader issue regularly but not this one — in some ways it’s even worse as unlike shaders being compiled it never goes away. Some games get it right (Red Dead 2/post patch Cyberpunk), many do not (Jedi Fallen Order, Arkham Knight, even Hunt Showdown has it on occasion when approaching compounds seemingly regardless of hardware as some examples — I have evidence for Hunt suffering from this via steamers like PsychoGhost if anyone wants links to the clips to see what I’m talking about).

Even Spider-Man Remastered which DF has praised extensively had noticeable “framedrops”/microstutters during fast traversal when flying at speed through the city then doing a dive swing low to the ground for example on my 5800X + 3070 + 3600MHz rig with a 1440p output. It’s a very very annoying problem and at this point I’d honestly rather they just pass an ugly “dummy” object/texture/shader and fade in the assets asynchronously even if looks ugly. Anything beats a stutter for me.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2023

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    All of this is kind of a showpiece that modern PC architecture needs an overhaul, and DirectStorage won't cut it unless it really improves.

BlindBison likes this.
  6. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I could be wrong about the pros and cons/the extent of the benefit but I wonder if we’ll ever see a move to unified memory (or something moreon PC. SteamDeck took that approach with an APU which I suppose is different given there’s no bespoke graphics card but it seems like for gaming and porting console games to PC unified memory might be overall preferable. It seems like the extra responsibility on the CPU to copy and decompress assets has led to more CPU overhead and perhaps in part these streaming stutter woes we now see all the time these days.

Maybe DirectStorage with GPU decompress will be great and solve all this but seeing as it’s not really in anything yet (the gpu decomp real version) hard to say.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  7. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Since this uses a variety of D3D12 commands I take it it will only really work for DX12 UE4 games correct? I've been thinking about trying this out on Arkham City, but that's DX9/DX11 and UE3 not UE4. Also means it maybe wouldn't work with DXVK I wonder due to the DX12 commands? Or I could be way off. Thanks,

8. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Since Arkham City is using a heavily modified UE3 engine, I doubt any of these tweaks will work.

BlindBison likes this.
  9. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks! Yeah I that's what I figured. Sort of tangentially related do any of yall know if DXVK Async will ever be updated again? I know the standard DXVK is 2.2 and DXVK Async has been on 2 for a long while. Thought I heard something about it being discontinued, but can't recall. DXVK 2.2 does seem to have nasty shader stutter in some games and I still don't understand why the async behavior isn't just the default for every game out there.

10. Kamil950

Kamil950 Member

GPU:
    Radeon RX 580 4GB
    https://gitlab.com/Ph42oN/dxvk-gplasync

Dxvk-gplasync is updated to work with newer dxvk versions and gpl. You can enable/disable async and gpl separately.

BlindBison likes this.

11. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thank you very much, that's helpful to know. upload_2023-8-25_17-45-38.png
    Do you know whether the DXVK_ASYNC environment variable happens to work with normal DXVK 2.2 nowadays? It seems like it wouldn't if I've understood right at which point one would need to use one of the dxvk branch offs. Thanks a lot! Will look over the read me for this more after work (apologies if my question is already in there).

12. LockoRocko

LockoRocko New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    dxvk and dxvk-gplasync just got an update! (2.3)
    I tried both of them. In GTA IV dxvk 2.3 works however Borderlands 3 still stutters.
    So I tried dxvk-gplasync in Borderlands 3 - Buttery Smooth - but inventory textures are missing -all black- (guns grenades etc)

BlindBison likes this.
  13. LockoRocko

LockoRocko New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Are these tweaks only compatible with UE 4.18 and above?
    Can i use it with dxvk or dxvk-gplasync?

BlindBison likes this.
  14. NVT75

NVT75 New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1650Ti
    All those setting will stable 60+ fps with minimal visual sacrifice for ALL game with UE4!?

15. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I don't imagine all UE4 games will work (Alex from Digital Foundry said in their round table calls when he tried UE ini tweaks it rarely if ever worked for him), but I can confirm at least that ini tweaks do "something" depending on the game at least. For example, Forgotten City I remember testing ini tweak to try and get the game to utilize more memory -- it didn't go too well in that case as my RAM/VRAM were overwhelmed at the time as a result, but it definitely did "something" which suggests for at least specific games some tweaks can be made. What I don't understand is frankly if the user is able to do these things why the heck didn't the devs take the time to add these options in the menu themselves? How virtually every UE game is a stutterfest on PC has really put me off towards that engine. I would say I basically hate UE at this point lol. What good are nanite and lumen and beautiful graphics if we STILL have tons of asset streaming/traversal stutter all these years later? DXVK can help somewhat in specific titles I've found, but it's really case by case and is a lot less useful in DX11 than DX9 titles on average from what I've observed.

NVT75 likes this.

16. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I changed a few things on my config. It will probably use more memory to cache more things.
    For people with limited amounts of vram, change "r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures" to 0

Pitcherkun and BlindBison like this.
  17. lextra2

lextra2 Member

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 5700
    To answer the titel: No, there is not.
    If a game doesn't give you the option to precompile shaders, you're out of luck.

All these placebo config settings are either A) depreciated or B) only work with dev builds.

To give you one example
    r.CreateShadersOnLoad=1
    Will only work for dev builds and only if used properly with other related parameters.

BlindBison likes this.
  18. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    The console help describes r.CreateShadersOnLoad like this:

It doesn't state any limitation while using it during runtime.

BlindBison likes this.
  19. trackah123

trackah123 Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX-4080 16GB
    I been testing around a bit with Star Wars Jedi Survivor and Fallen Order, turns out that engine.ini didn't even work at all, however if i manually create a "Config" folder in the SwGame game directory and create this specific ini file "UserEngine.ini" or "UserScalability.ini" , it works all fine. i tested it using unreal engine console unlocker and all the variables were properly set by "SystemSettingsINI" on runtime.

INI Filename prefixes example :

Engine.ini
    BaseEngine.ini
    DefaultEngine.ini
    UserEngine.ini

UE folder structure for INI files :
    UE4 games usually also have either "Engine\Config" or "<YourGame>\Config" folders

And in the INI files itself you also need to put the Cvars in the right category, some go to [SystemSettings] and some others go to [/Script/Engine.RendererSettings] and so on.

I find it all a bit complex to work with these 3 factors, 1 wrong filename prefix, 1 wrong folder location, or 1 wrong ini subsection and it won't work. Luckily unreal engine console unlocker can make you verify it properly.

20. BSherrod

BSherrod New Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 TI
    https://www.nexusmods.com/starwarsjedifallenorder/mods/778

Would recommend trying this for Jedi Fallen Order. Mod author’s version for Survivor is paused in development, but she recently started this and I’ve done some testing. Runs pretty well for me.