Is the z5500 still the best 5.1 system you can get for PC?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by DrHycodan, Feb 9, 2011.

1. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    I would imagine the Klipsch Promedia 5.1s would be far superior to anything by Logitech

They aren't easy to find though (in the UK anyway)

Hell, i would FAR rather have my Klipsch Promedia 2.1s than a 5.1 set by Logitech

2. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    Yea I remember the Klipsch Pro media 5.1s, but sady there also rare to find in the usa as well.

3. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    IIRC, the Klipsch Promedia had a very bad issue with faulty amplifiers.

4. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    Hmm perhaps that's why they are difficult to source then

Never had a problem with my £120 Klipsch 2.1's, certainly blow my friends £400 Bose companions out of the water

5. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Well Bose are not considered to be very good speakers to most around here either.

6. heymian

heymian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    yes, this is true and funny you should mention because i have a story.

i was one of the early adopters back in 2000 I believe when they premiered the promedia 4.1's. about a week or two into use, the satellites would emit this loud, crackling noise whenever i adjusted the volume. eventually, i was notified through e-mail that the amp was faulty and that klipsch was sending out replacements. well, after replacing the volume control module/amp with their replacement, another week had gone by and the CRACKLING SOUND RETURNED.

coincidently, their headquarters are based about 15 minutes away from my home, here in indianapolis. i drove their with my speakers boxed up and demanded I speak to someone about this problem. long story short, i ended up demonstrating to their regional manager about how their "replacement" amps they were sending out were just as faulty. i ended up getting a check in the mail refunding the money I spent and also a apology letter.

i dont know how much has changed with their newer models, im sure they've investigated and fixed the issue but still, i will never buy another klipsch product or recommend them to anyone.

7. ASLayerAODsk

ASLayerAODsk Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 580 8G
    interesting...i had the 1st set in Canada, as I had preordered them in a time when preordering really didnt 'exist' as per se*they came in a plain brown box with nothing written on it but the store address*, and they were the V2-400's and yes I had the crackling sound when volume was adjusted..actually..it still does it as i sold them to my friend..who actually STILL has them as i type this...i have a set of the 4.1's that were the 're-release' of the v2-400's and the crackling issue hasnt appeared on this set even ONCE. So far, im quite happy with these and would recommend them to anyone if you can find a set, by all means. Also my friend just built a HTPC and I recommended a set that I had found thru the same person that I had bought them thru, who still had ONE set avaliable..and so far, for him, no crackling or any of the same problems I had with the v2-400s. Smooth sailing here all the way, esp with my Essence STX, couldnt be happier.

8. keskiverto

keskiverto Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte / GTX460 / 1GB
    It seems that of those three I could find only the Sven (semi)locally. Sven HA-1410T (google translated)

Is that what you did refer to?

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Yes, those look similar to the set I heard except the color was different.
    That system would surpass the Z-5500's because the satellite speakers are wooden and they are two way. -meaning they have both high and mid range driver available. The Z's satellites are small plastic, with one tniy driver.

10. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    So what 5.1 speaker system do you guys recommend for PC? I tried looking for the Edifier S550 and can't find them anywhere except for NCIX which is based in Canada and charges $170 just for shipping.

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I would personally recommend the HT route. You can find great deal on used receivers and speakers at local pawn shops...etc. Look around as generally such systems will surpass PC speaker systems.

12. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX N560Ti TwinFrozr2
    @ROBSCIX,
    My friend, the Z-5500's speakers aren't very good, but they are nowhere near as bad as you put them!

I was wondering, when i am gonna see this thread!
    Its true, Z5500 offers one way satellites which are incapable of creating accurate sound staging. And yeah, the plastics too! :p
    However, there are few things with Z5500 which makes it one of the highest selling 5.1 PC speakers system world-wide. Even if we ignore the website reviews and comments, Z5500 still sells with a higher margin than any other 5.1 PC speakers.
    Obviously Z5500 isnt meant for music listening! It shouldn't even be compared with anything in that category. Even with one way driver in satellites, it is able to reproduce sound effects in movies and gaming without any hitches.
    IMO, the problem lies with different user's opinions and perceptions.
    Some ask for better mid and high range...some ask for meaner boomy Bass! The choices vary like this from one user to another. Nothing is perfect and will not be able to satisfy one's expectations completely. Most importantly its how an individual makes a choice and chose to live and stay happy with it.
    I have the Z-5500 myself, and they are pure own-age for the price. I mean, its true that one can go for separate components. But, then the "whole package" word doesnt stay fit with it (features and brand setup). Z5500 is quite descent in terms of reliability and even service from Logitech. Its true, Logitech isn't pioneer in terms of audiology but there is no denying the fact that their Z5500 system is still one of the best in business and for gaming and movies, they're still up there! :)

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    I am only saying what you just said there.
    If you are happy with them great...Enjoy.

14. GPU

GPU Guest

-just saying on my pc I have

4 x http://www.2001audiovideo.com/product_info.php?cPath=40_127&products_id=108

1 x http://www.2001audiovideo.com/product_info.php?cPath=40_130&products_id=109

receiver - http://www.2001audiovideo.com/product_info.php?cPath=41_77&products_id=5423

s-w50 sub woofer [old]

Forte > analog to receiver

very clean sound to me ,you can hear so many back ground sounds even with streaming audio like jango , and this is in a 8' x 10' room.

-games don't have the blooming bass when something happens any more as with the x530's I had , just what it is programed to sound like, very clear and powerful as in shakes house\room. when something big happens. or in fonv listen to the very faint voices from the other side of a wall.
    I would never go back to pc speakers my self.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2011
  15. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    Wow no way I'm paying over $1000 for a speaker system for my PC. I ended up ordering a Yamaha RXV363 with a Klipsch HD 300 speaker set, which costed me only half of what you paid for your speaker system.

16. PurpleFish

PurpleFish Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX GTX260 c216 @ 780core
    Wow lots of strong opinions about this!!!

My advice-Try some different stuff obviously everyone has different opinions when it comes to the interpretation of sound

I personally think a Good set of headphones beats a Great set of speakers - but thats just me and most in here prolly feel different...

17. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Price is relative to the person doing the buying.

18. GPU

GPU Guest

-that was a budget build .
    receiver was heading for the main system but never made it.
    -on top of my sub are $800.00 in 2 x gtx 285's not worth the selling bs \shipping cost ,and will hand them down to a bud's son after the stepup..
    my sig say 570's ,but I'm in the step up for 580's total cost -cards 1000 + psu =1300 + water 400
    -should have them by April and could be EOL in June. lol
    -so all said - the sound system was cheap and will last for 10 years or more.

19. gold_heart007

gold_heart007 Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX N560Ti TwinFrozr2
    LOL just saw the Z5500D successor, the new Z906 at logitech's website.
    Whats more to shock...that Logitech has planned to stop Z5500D support and production completely! That means, if a user owns Z5500 and still has more than 2 months of warranty left, then Logitech will ship the new Z906 as Z5500D replacement. :(
    I dont know what the hell got into the mind of those in Logitech, replacing an already awesome system with this new canister!
    Waitin for more gurus to share their views on this. More to see when the new set get reviewed at Guru3D.

20. keskiverto

keskiverto Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte / GTX460 / 1GB
    What do you mean? Why should Z906 be any worse than Z5500?