Is the z5500 still the best 5.1 system you can get for PC?

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by DrHycodan, Feb 9, 2011.

1. DrHycodan

DrHycodan Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2080
    Or are there better 5.1 systems you can get for PC?

2. Chock

Chock Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x670GTX @40"+26" Samsung
    since when was it the best to begin with? :p

3. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Not if you put together your own system.

4. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    There are better "PC" speaker systems out there and much better systems if you build them yourself. The Z-5500's are not really good speakers.

5. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    Ignore the audiophiles mate, I own these speakers and love em to bits.
    one thing that no one can deny about the z5500's is their superb stereo image. No doubt someone will though.

Also, people complain about the bass being boomy, which is true but nowhere as bad as some make it out to be.
    there's a simple solution though. Use a small table to get the sub off the ground (something that should always be done anyways) and half tennis balls for decoupling.

There's a reason these speakers got great reviews across the board. It's because they're great speakers.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2011
  6. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Has nothing to do with Audiophile, it was mentioned there are many PC speakers that are better then the Z-5500's. However, if you want good sound you are better off skipping the PC based speakers.
    Superb stereo image, LOL, compared to what? The little tiny sats with one tinny driver?
    All your mids and bass coming from the sub which is one of the main reasons it is boomy. So you think it is normal to put your sub on a table and use half tennis balls on your sub? I would bet it is still boomy because it produces too much mids and washed out bass. If you know anything about speakers, which many around here do, this system has many design issues which results in poor quality sound.

I would bet you have never heard even a descent quality PC audio system if you think the Z-5500's are great speakers. Just noticed, and you are driving them using onboard....next your going to tell us that onboards aren't that bad either.:nerd:

7. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    And I'd be willing to bet you've never heard what 40k's worth of analog kit sounds like.

despite my soundMax being nothing special it's not half bad either.
    I do miss my xfi (ftw) though.

And yes, I do think it's normal to raise the sub. Especially if you're not on the ground and suffer from hollow floors.

Also, tennis balls are a great way of kinda achieving what a subdude does for $60.

What, at that price range would you say is better?

8. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    You would probably be wrong yet again....Twice. Yes, LOL I have never heard analog audio. I see you have issues with terminology also.

Not half bad compared to what? So you're trying to suggest you have heard these expesive systems yet you try and suggest that a set of Z-5500's connected to a cheap onboard is good sound? Good laugh..:nerd:

If you like your system, more power to you. However, there is much better equipment available out there. There aren't very many people around this audio forum that will agree with you on your suggestions that Z-5500's and onboard audio is in anyway shape or form good audio.

Note: I cannot keep changing my answer everytime you modify your post so I am just replaying to your original posting.

9. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    audigy 2 zs.

and you sir, seam to have issues with spelling and... definition!

analog, aka vinyl. terminology! (cheap, i know. couldn't resist)

and it is a pretty un-freak'n-believable setup. took about 20 years to get together. dudes an audio professor (so not a wealthy man) and built the speakers himself. on top of that, he doesn't use pre amps, or amps, or whatever.
    he has two really big silver transistors. didn't really understand how the signal chain worked, but that's what he was using.

all i know is that after listening to radiohead and pink floyd through that kit, digital audio sounds like digital audio no matter how many bits you throw at it. flat, and lifeless.

am i the only one here whose heard 100% convincing periphonics from a stereo setup?
    figured you guys would be all over this kinda stuff.

and the z5500's do have great stereo image. i just think our definitions of great differ by a few £100 pounds.

10. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5700 XT Thic II
    I owned the Z-5500s they are not good pc speakers I wish I went DIY instead of wasting $350 on them. Because they are totally not worth it now. They lack mid range and has boomy bass. They still go for 300-350 You can do alot more for that money if you price shop on amazon.

Meocene is making them sound better then what they actually are. Are they worth the money? No there not, You can get better by doing a DIY system.

Just like he making it sound like onboard audio sound better then what it really does. If their any one you shouldnt pay no mind to, its Meocene. Onboard audio is really that bad I had to use it many times.

Onboard audio uses cheap components even the X-Fi uses cheap components but output better analog quailty then onboard. Then Sound cards like the Forte and prelude has higher quailty analog audio over that and so on.

Just go to amazon then put together a speaker setup, Receivers with analog muiti inputs go for cheap now. Then look for deals on bookshelf and center. I seen them many times when Making suggestions for friends.

If the op must get PC speakers then get the ones from elider If I spelled their name right. Those would be the better choice.

11. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    "analog" audio refers to many things...not just "vinyl".
    Suggesting a person has never heard analog sound is similar to suggesting a person has never seen light! BTW a big transisitor would be a form of amplifier:) If you have heard sound it is analog! Now if you are talking about the storage medium or amplification design then sure I have still heard many analog systems. This is an audio forum, many facets are talked about here not just PC based audio.

...and yet again, I would say with the system you have I bet it would sound dull and lifeless. This is not really a vinyl vs CD debate... There are some amazing digital based storage systems out there.
    You're at the very bottom of the ladder...you can improve certain aspects but your going to hit walls in your system. Please don't tell me that you use Mp3 also? Grab yourself atleast a soundcard to get going...

12. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    ah! you got me! red handed, so to speak.
    by day i am a inconspicuous IT support fella. by night, however, i'm rakin it in from logitech by bombarding forums with propaganda.

13. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Trouble is many around here have heard them or owned them in the past.

The few that I know that owned them have moved to something better as with a good source they will limit your sound quality.
    Sell the toys and buy some real speakers.:nerd:

14. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    very clever. i see what you did there.

kinda lost it there Rob, tbh. that's blindingly obvious.
    when i say analog, i mean an entirely analog signal chain.

end of day, this threads spiralled, faster than usual, in to madness (it's been fun).
    some poor soul mistakenly wandered in hoping for sense, and got something only an forum for audio nuts can produce.

the way i'm seeing it is: dudes clearly done some research, and has a price in mind. the z5500's got good reviews and fall in to that range.

now if you can point me to 5 speakers, a sub and amp that cost roughly the same as the Z5500's, not only will i be extremely grateful, i may even film my z5500's being burnt to cinders and create a banner out of the footage for you to hang in these forums.

15. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    I owned z-5500's for a while however had to sell them because of the sound quality. They are passable for gaming but listening to music through them isn't a very pleasant experience. The the treble is very grainy and harsh, the mids aren't very good, mid-bass is bad because it's coming from the sub, and bass is really just a big muddy mess without attack or definition.

That said they have their place. They don't require any research, just buy & plug in, they play loud, and are fine for gaming.

16. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    i'm starting to think i got some newer revision.
    maybe it's my rooms acoustics or something. i honestly believe the z5500's are great sounding speakers - music, movies, games. the lot.
    and i'm not making all that stuff up. i really have heard what £40k's worth of analog kit sounds like. mind blowing doesn't even begin to describe it.

17. Nato.dbnz

Nato.dbnz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5870 Crossfire
    Sounds like 40k poorly spent. My current 2.1 setup costs less than $1000 NZD and blows the z-5000's away in every respect. And not in a picky audiophile way, in a very obvious to anyone who has heard them both kind of way.

18. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    If you are looking for an all in one type of system you can get receiver and speaker systems refurbed from places like Onkyo that would easily surpass the Z's for $300. Those systems also include a reciever which offers you upgrade options in the future.

If you want a decent "PC" type of speakers, Look for the Edifier S550's.
    There are other PC gear companies that produce better PC type speakers also, such as SVEN, MicroLab, Genius..etc Most of these companies offer flagship systems with two way wooden satelites and balanced subwoofers.

The problem with the Z-5500's is the sats only have one tiny speaker so they can only produce the high range...the subwoofer needs to produce the mids also giving the subwoofer too much woof and bloat and other issues.

That is just the facts of it...

Enjoy your system though whatever you have.:)

19. Meocene

Meocene Master Guru

GPU:
    GF570
    yeah, i know.
    still sound great though. :infinity:

20. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    ...to you. In your opinion. To others, they do not sound so good.
    Anyway, you have your opinion and other have theirs. Perhaps it is time to move on.:)