Is the X1950XT good?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by ProfBP, Dec 22, 2007.

1. ProfBP

ProfBP Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970GTX
    Don't get me wrong, I love my 1950xt. The performance and IQ are fantastic and a improvement over what my 6800GS offered, and it wasn't a slouch card either. But I'm just wondering how it would fair against a 7950GT. One area that I don't like the card is that the drivers run two processes in the background in order to get the card to jump from 2D to 3D graphics, while it's nVidia counter part did not require that. I've tried to kill hot key poller, but doing so knocked down my performance BIG TIME.

I'd just like an UNBIASED opinion.

2. shady86

shady86 Active Member

GPU:
    Palit GTX 260 Sonic
    X1900/1950 is the best cards of the previous generation. 1950XT is obviously faster than 7950GT at stock. It's just that these cards doesn't overclock well. IQ and image is definately better than nvidia's 7900/7950 series. The reason that ATI has to implement hot key poller is lowering the clock speeds will lower the power consumption. At 2D mode, the core voltage is around 1.25V and 1.4V on 3D mode.

I managed to get 2D mode working at 1.1V and only 1.3V needed for 643mhz core and 963mhz(1926 DDR) to get the card stable. Heat output and power consumption is lowered and I get a much cooler card. I flashed the card's BIOS to set 2D/3D voltage and clocks.

I'm not really an ATI or nvidia fan but I think ATI is better in that generation. For now, the 8-series is much better than HD 2xxx/3xxx. Hope AMD would do something for next-gen cards.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2007
  3. ProfBP

ProfBP Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 970GTX
    Gotcha, so Hotkey Poller really isn't *such* a bad thing. Now for a while I was just an nVidia guy, first card I ever tried was an ATI card, had two of um, and both were DOA, I tried a Geforce 2, and it was the first card that actually worked, so I stuck with nVidia before my X1950XT.

As far as quality, I do have to give that to ATI for their X-series. nVidia's 79xx series was as far as I could read was plagued by memory issues (which were eventually resolved) the 7600GT withstanding though. Thats the reason why I never got a 7-series card.

I got a X1950XT over the summer, and over all am very happy with the card. Replaced the heavy stock cooler with a Zalman 900, and it keep it's temp pretty decent, I guess. The drivers seem a bit hit or miss, but then again so were (are) nVidia's. One thing I did like about nVidia was their old control panel. Now with ATI I just run the drivers and the ATI tray tools, but yeesh as least with nVidia it was just a simple one click download and install. Only thing I really don't like physically about the card is that its long when compared to a 6800GS and the older 6600GT I used. But When you compare the X1950XT to both nVidia and ATI current cards, well I guess everything is getting bigger.

as far as current cards go. nVidia hold the top card selection, of that there is no doubt. But ATI right now holds that main market pretty good with their current 38xx series. A 8800GT or GTS looks really attractive when it comes to performance, but I think a lot of people would agree that in $200 and sub market, ATI wins. And alot of people out there, me included will not spend over $200 on a video card. I like playing my games at good speeds and with good eye candy, but when technology is being replaced as fast as it is, it gets hard justifying spending $300+ on a card which will be obsolescent in 6 months.

4. Krusha

Krusha New Member

On this topic, I just replaced my stock cooler after loads of artifacting etc. issues on my Sapphire X1950XT with a Thermalright HR-03 Rev. A.

Running ATI Tool's artifact detector would heat the thing up to 80+ degrees (as shown in CCC) and I'd be artifacting like mad. When not under load, temp would be 50-60 degrees.

Using the new heatsink in active mode with a 92mm fan, unloaded temp is 29-30 degrees. Running the artifact detector for 10 minutes gave me a temperature that didn't exceed 42 degrees and no artifacts.

80+ - 42 degrees - a temperature cut of 50%. Needless to say, I'm blown away by this thing! Need to do some more testing but this heatsink is a beast.

Only bitch is no more room on the mobo apart from bottom 2 PCI slots but I'm not running any other cards so doesn't worry me too much.

5. FlawleZ

FlawleZ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon R9
    The X1950XT and X1950XTX were DEFINITELY faster than all but the 7950GX2. And when in CF, were faster. There's no refuting the X1900-X1950XTX were the king of the last generation. Even the X1800XT was faster than the 7800GTX most of the time. In fact, ATI really only fell behind Nvida with the advent of the 8800 cards. Until then, ATI had the more powerful cards for 3 generations in a row.

6. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    The X1900's were a great series of card. Don't sweat those processes running in the background, they don't use enough resources to worry about.

7. danroyle

danroyle Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus gtx 460 1gb 800/1600
    i just picked up a second hand x1900xt for £40 a his iceq3 and am well impressed have had 7900gt's and such and this is definitely the best dx9 card i have had

8. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    My moderately OC'd X1900XT 512MB smoked any 7900 series card, except for the crap-heap 7950GX2, so enjoy it. It's just a darn shame that ATI has dropped the ball so badly in the recent battles.

9. Apoc_

Apoc_ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1060 Gaming X
    I wouldn't say they've dropped it so badly. The 3850 and 3870 are excellent cards for there price you will not find a better bang for buck from nvidia's selection. Also have a look at the 3870X2 it's a quality card that can give the ultra a good run for its money and in most cases come out on top. Now the thing that gives the 3870X2 the edge over any Ultra is it's price, in Australia you will pay an extra $400 more for an ultra which in most cases isn't as good as something $400 cheaper.

Don't get me wrong, Nvidia DEFIANTLY have some beasty cards and they can defiantly hold there own but ATi aren't all that bad.

10. Classic Satch

Classic Satch Banned

GPU:
    2xEVGA GTX 260 216 SC
    Wow, I must remember to couch my comments in regards to the international community. I always forget that such hardware is so much cheaper here in the US, especially when you order it off of the Internet and therefore avoid any sales tax.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2008

11. Apoc_

Apoc_ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1060 Gaming X
    It's not so much that it's "cheaper" just different currencies. For example US can probably get a better video card for $150 then I can for around $250. Even though I was talking about Australian currencies over in the US the difference would probably be much the same between the 3870X2 and an 8800 Ultra.

Here in Australia the difference is roughly $400 between the 3870X2 and 8800 Ultra now over in the US the difference might only be $250 or so now that isn't as much as over in Australia but it's the same thing if you know what I mean.

Hard to explain but what I'm trying to say is even though my figures are bigger it still dints your bank account as hard as it dints mine.

And don't worry lol, no argument started I'm not that sensitive. ;)