Is the titan suppose to be the 780 gtx???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by pmt411, Feb 21, 2013.

1. heymian

heymian Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti
    Yes but performance will improve with future driver releases. Something to keep in mind.

2. Weecka

Weecka Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX3070ti FE
    No, Titan is not the GTX 780.

it's quite obvious GTX Titan(GK110) was originally suppose to be the GTX 680. But due to GK104 being direct competitor vs. 7970 (even though i think they are quicker now with GHZ editon and good drivers) it was marketed and sold as a high-end product. So if GK110 would have been similar performance with 7970, i think prices for gk104 would have been 15-20% lower and GK110(current GTX Titan) would have been out Q4 2012 named as GTX 680. But one can only speculate, what would have happened.....

But i hope that once GTX 780 comes out it will be similar (hopefully faster) in performance with Titan for a WAAAAY lower price (£450...ish).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. DayDreamer

DayDreamer Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 580 @900,4300@1100mV
    GK110 was supposed to be the replacement for GF110 (GTX580), Yes? Now it's $1K. I dislike nVidia more and more.
    AMD, please come out with something good!

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I want to pour little bit of oil into fire myself:
    If titan was ready for 7970 at time of it's launch, can you even closely guess it's price year ago? 1600$? I do not think so.
    Can you guess it's TDP if it was based on nV tech available at that time? 350W?

But now for reality:
    It looks really like card I would buy for 700$. It's good chip. It has superior performance. Best Performance per Watt at this moment in consumer market.

And it tells bad story:
    Good part, nV has really good tech at their hands allowing them to make 250W chip with such performance. (Not only gaming, but it's match or better than HD7970 in compute too.)
    Bad part, if nV makes chips in 7xx series with such performance, you can expect just bit lower prices. Which is easily beaten by SLI/CF performance/price.

Since regular consumers are usually willing to pay up to 650$ for GPU that would leave you with 15-20% performance boost over GTX 6xx series, but with considerably better (lower) TDP, Allowing SLI to became more usual.

This card improved things where even GTX680 was behind, High resolution gaming, 384bit buss +gddr5 is really welcome.

I asked few questions I would like to get answers for:
    There are cooling designs with such performance that 300W is totally ok for GPU. Are we going to have Highend GPUs running at 175W? At least we can get mainstream GPUs powered directly from PCIe 3.0.
    While Titan is beefy GPU, will GTX 7xx series have decent Compute performance or will they be crippled as 6xx series? Even smaller TDP?

I think GTX780 may be pretty interesting if nV is willing to sell it at good price. I hope people will not have again that feeling something is missing for price they paid.

As AMD considerably increased mobile performance/TDP too, I can't but wonder if AMDs Desktop will be lowering target TDP too.
    I kind of hoped for having 200-250W as standard. And that we would get best solution engineers can fit in that range.

Maybe future is knocking on our doors this year. (Where is my APU based supercomputer tablet?) :D

5. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Let's all start believing GK110 was fully ready with high enough yields at the time the GTX680 was released. Yes, let's. Let's also convince ourselves that it was meant to be sold at the same price the 680 was sold at, but Nvidia struck gold by releasing GK104 to us chumps at the high-end price.

Then of course, after that is over, we should start by believing that the GTX680 (w/ GK110) was supposed to be more than twice as fast as the GTX580, as shown by Titan. However, right now Nvidia charge double the supposed price because, well, they want AMD to stay around because, it isn't really interesting if they didn't have competition. Charging it at $500 isn't fair. Rules of war.

Then this act of convincing ourselves should be followed by a group hug. So that we can all feel comfortable.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  6. mlambert890

mlambert890 New Member

GPU:
    GTXTitan@1200 tri-SLI
    +1 this idea that NV could have gotten realistic yields on a Titan level card back at 680 release are ridiculous. Quite simply the 680 was the best card they could profitably produce at the time and they got lucky that it was enough vs ATI. The conspiracy theory BS simply isn't how business works. You don't go to the wire adjusting your product release based on competitor parts because you can't. You take your design and manufacture the best version of it at a required price point that you can.

With Titan they are testing the waters on a new price point with a card that is almost certainly low yield even today. Is it at way better margins than the 680? Maybe, maybe not. There may be less profit in that $1k then people assume.

7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    and here is my prediction :bang: :bang: :bang:

OK kill me, because it's more like 43.25% over 680 (average of 8 reviews @25x16 4xMSAA)

8. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    :bang: :bang: :bang:

No secret sauce - mea culpa, mea maxima culpa

9. pmt411

pmt411 Active Member

GPU:
    Twin SC Evga Titans
    Titan Poor value

I want to upgrade NOW!!!! to Titan SLI but I resent being almost doubled billed for the privilege. I cant help but think that IF the 780 gtx is say 30% faster than the 680 gtx for say $ 700 then it makes sense to wait a month or two until it is released. Some sites today are reporting the rumored near term release of a 7990 that may exceed the performance of the Asus Ares. I hope this is true because such a perfromance threat from Amd might push Nvidia prices down some. I can afford Titan SLI but it will be rendered middle of the road in about a year give or take when Maxwell makes its debut. The thought of spending 2 grand or so only to have to sell the cards next year for 800 or so and have to pay through the nose for Maxwell is far from pleasant. Hence I am thinking that sense I am likely to only own my forth comming upgrade for only roughly a year, 780 gtxs or the 7990 may be the way to go until then provided that the 780gtx or 7990 is to be released within 60 days or so. Does anyone agree with my reasoning or is the boards consensus just to Titan SLI and eat the tremendous rip off premiumn that Nvidia is charging for the Titan??? Regardless, my desire to upgrade and my impatience in having to wait may overpower my financial discipline and I may order Titan Sli at anytime, terrible to have such weak will power!!!

10. leeaids

leeaids Active Member

GPU:
    Nvidia Gtx 690
    i was looking at geting one of the titans, not any more its about £200 to expensive, and since its been out i have seen pre order prices go up by £50, it should be going the other way.

im so baffled at the price, if like the 690 and is its still avalable now then there wont be much of a price drop,

11. TheAquanox

TheAquanox Member

GPU:
    HD 7990
    I'm a bit confused here. If the 780 isn't the Titan (which seems to be a bragging-rights-enabler premium model), then is there a word on the release date of the actual 780?

12. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    end of the year (2013)

13. TheAquanox

TheAquanox Member

GPU:
    HD 7990
    Darn... I was thinking on buying one an upgrade from my 5870 Crossfire.

I guess I'll better buy a 680 now, and buy a second one when they lower its price.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti OC
    ^
    7970 GHz would be a better choice.

15. Mraz

Mraz Master Guru

GPU:
    /
    This...

16. TheAquanox

TheAquanox Member

GPU:
    HD 7990
    For some games probably but I'm planning on going SLI at the end of the year, and I've suffered way too much from AMD's sluggishness with drivers and CAPs.

That's basically why I'm migrating to nVidia.

17. angmar

angmar Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI Founders
    Kinda late in the game now to be buying 680s...I would wait tll next series if I were you.

18. pmt411

pmt411 Active Member

GPU:
    Twin SC Evga Titans
    No Will Power!!

Confession time!! My holdout on the Titan cards lasted until today when I snagged two of the Evga Overclocked Titan cards for SLI which will be here Friday. So much for my self respect and will power, not to mention it is a terrible investment and I will no doubt be selling these cards in about a year for peanuts to upgrade to Maxwell. A TECH Addiction is a terrible thing but heh thats life!!

19. scheherazade

scheherazade Ancient Guru

GPU:
    fullHDs
    I expect the 780 to be about the same speed as the titan.

Usually GPUs improve around 30% per generation.

The titan is already 40% faster than the 680.

I expect the 780 to be around titan speed, but a tad more than half the price of a titan.

Simpler, but clocked higher.

I see the price of the titan as the premium for getting next-gen performance, early/now.

-scheherazade

20. Lemonking

Lemonking Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080ti Gaming X
    when are we getting the 7 series anyway?
    my 560ti was brought to it knees by Lara Crafts hair lol...time to upgrade.