Is the reference RX 5700 still the best PCB bang for the buck?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Apury, Feb 17, 2020.

1. Apury

Apury New Member

GPU:
    RX 5700
    Hey there.

I'm currently in the market for a non XT RX 5700 and can basically choose between the

ASRock Radeon RX 5700 Challenger D 8G OC, XFX DD Ultra, A no name aftermarket cooled PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 (AXRX 5700 8GBD6-3DH/OC) and the reference design.

Given that I'll custom cool it I was tempted to go for any of the default blower styles but given that the RX 5700 reference apparently loses a phase for the sake of being able to reduce the price compared to the 5700 XT, I'm no longer certain that the reference design is still the best bang for the buck.

All of the mentioned cards are within 10bucks difference in my country.

2. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    None, go with 2070 or 2060 instead.

3. Apury

Apury New Member

GPU:
    RX 5700
    While I appreciate the reply, it is quite off-topic since I'm clearly asking specifically about the RX 5700.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you're asking about a problem riddled product that you'll end up swapping for a geforce anyway.

5. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX AMD Vanguard

GPU:
    Sapphire RX5700XT
    Go with Powercolor one, play a little with fan settings, undervolt GPU and enjoy the card :)

6. The_Amazing_X

The_Amazing_X Master Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil V64
    For the price cant go wrong with Rx 5700, if you dont want to put the 5700xt bios on your 5700 go with the 2 fan powercolor one, has a great pcb and gets great temps.

Remember always DDU before you put the 5700 in.

7. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD S. 5700XT Pulse
    PCB wise I think there's been several comparisons but a lot have focused on the 5700 XT though I am pretty much certain the regular 5700 board design is very high end though the difference while there is offset by the stock cooler and how the GPU scales in performance as temperature rises not just the limit of 110 Celsius junction but around 90 Celsius junction although this is also going to be affected by power delivery and game and other software specific conditions. :)

Upping the fan curve instead of AMD's 40% defaults can be a solution but the blower then gets a bit whinier or loud (Smaller single fan, higher RPM.) or voltage tweaking and maybe a bit of lowering the clock speeds but then you limit how much it can scale even if the performance gains are small that's still a loss of total GPU speed although traded against a noticeable temperature difference and reduced power draw and voltage for the GPU core.

Binning is also a thing and the non-reference designs also vary from using 2x 6-pin to 1x 8 and 1x 6 and the bigger ones though maybe more for the 5700 XT use a 2x 8-pin and a 220+ watt power target though that's a bit much when most of the cards end up around 1950 - 2000 Mhz anyways before hitting a bit of a wall in required power and voltage although there's some difference in how these scale and due to binning being what looks like very variable the actual results and requirements are pretty spread out or how to say.
    (My own 5700 XT Pulse needs a bit of a bump to the power limit slider to hit 1950 Mhz reliably from the stock 194w bios and a bit more from the silent bios at closer to the 180w reference think it's 186w or something like that.)

From the above listings I like what I could find on the Power Color.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cwe2f3/powercolor_radeon_rx_5700_dual_fan_34999_newegg/

EDIT: Or as I'm hearing it the GPU is just shy of the Red Dragon which is really good praise for this card. :)

EDIT: Ah but then if the idea is to go with a custom cooling solution then the PCB from the stock model might be the most compatible one for aftermarket air or water kits.
    (Plus even if it's differing from the 5700XT the reference PCB is probably still one of the best available.)

EDIT: Something on the PCB itself.
    https://www.techpowerup.com/review/amd-radeon-rx-5700/5.html

So if it's missing one there's still a six phase plus the one for memory.
    I doubt it's a issue.

EDIT: And it seems flashing also works just fine and the phases aren't a issue for hitting XT specs.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/flashing-amd-radeon-rx-5700-with-xt-bios-performance-guide/
    Including the higher power limit base from 150w reference to 180w reference for the XT model.

Which the power limit slider or similar can also increase a bit more for increasing the clock speeds or stabilizing the boost performance clocks minimizing drops and fluctuating performance.
    (For when the power draw is a limiting factor at least.)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  8. Caesar

Caesar Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti Titanium
    Wait for RTX 3000 series!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

• improved ray tracing
    • better frame buffers
    • higher clock speeds
    • lower TDP ratings.
    • cheaper than the Turing cards

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Did your ball told you that?
    [​IMG]

Caesar likes this.
  10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Did your ball tell you that he would have problems? Glad I didn't listen to your advice.
    [​IMG]

Undying likes this.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    or big navi