Is the 95c 7950X something that can be fixed with voltages?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by miffy wiffy, Oct 7, 2022.

1. miffy wiffy

miffy wiffy Member

GPU:
    The 5950X ram at crazy high voltages all the time and caused it to be 70c on idle for me. However this was easily fixed by just turning the voltage down. I do not get why AMD wanted to run it so high all the time, but you didn’t lose any performance doing that…. Other than benchmarks.

Is this the case with the 7950X? Can I just turn the voltage down and it’ll suddenly run at 60c instead of 95? Or is this just how the chip is designed now? Cause there is no way in hell do I want a PC throwing out so much heat.

2. Horus-Anhur

Horus-Anhur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Use Eco mode or better, use PBO with a negative offset.

3. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    Mine on idle is 40 to 45 with 28c temperature around the room, you can set windows power management to the best efficiency to lower it even further.

ECO+PBO with negative offset will help you even more specially ECO mode set to 105w (65w will cripple performance very much).

4. miffy wiffy

miffy wiffy Member

GPU:
    Ok I can undervolt it and it runs really cool and still have it at 5.3ghz. Maybe even 5.4. AMD need to sort their stock voltages out as they suck. I guess they're binning these aggressively and do not want you to know lol. Every review is so wrong about the 95c target thing, such noobs reviewing it. That Jay guy on Youtube needs to retire.

That said I'm gonna return it as the performance just isn't there over my 5800X3D. DDR5 is a complete rip off and a let down until the latency goes down, clock speed isn't helping too much.

I think AMD could have stuck with AM4 for the 7950X and had the same results. Just now I have to buy a new board, new ram and for what? It is very clear now AMD need 3D cache for performance over Intel, the 7950X3D will be the one to watch out for. Hopefully DDR5 will be in a better place too as right now it's a rip off.

5. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galax 3080 SC
    Zen4 nor Raptor Lake will be better than 5800X3D for gaming, it's a great cpu that value is unbeatable if you have AM4 motherboard.
    Zen43D probably going to change the picture, as we also will have better GPUS that'll need better cpus as well.

6. vestibule

vestibule Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
    Yeah, I see that with the 7600x enabling the 65watt mode and under-volting slightly can lead to very big temp drops and a loss in performance of just 3% and on top of that the chip when gaming only draw's 50Watts.
    Bonkers-ly good result. :eek:

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800XT/3080Ti
    The best thing you can do is wait for debauers delidding tool and then delid it and do direct die cooling, debauer is also releasing a cover so you can do direct die. The IHS they used is too thick, they used it for backwards compatibility with AM4 coolers and even then its not compatible with a lot of them.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, the best thing you can do is use a negative PBO and restrict the processor to the 130w mark that it should be at.

it is not a hedt processor and it has no business operating as if it were one.

9. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    AMD Ryzen 7950X: Impact of Precision Boost Overdrive (PBO) on Thermals and Content Creation Performance

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I read that as a 95 core version of the 7950x that needs lower power use, oops :)