1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is the 8800GTX over rated???

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Dili, May 11, 2007.

1. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    it depends on what you call maxing out... Is that 2560x1600 with 16xAF and 32xAA then, that's almost no game....

2. 00fleming

00fleming Active Member

GPU:
    XFX Geforce 260GTX
    thankyou zooze and vulturex for answering for me!

It all depends on the game and as I dont have a GTX I don't actually know what games it can and can't max out and by maxing out i mean max settings allowed by the game at a res of 2560x1600 regardless of AA/AF

Although I think DX10 will change that!

3. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    Pretty much any game you can max out @ 2560x1600 without AA and AF. (except FSX of course ;) And with 16xAF and 4xAA it also will do most of the time

4. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit GTX465 1Gb Dual Fan
    To be fair to FSX its a great game however its very CPU dependant, however I'm beta testing SP1 for FSX and there are some significant improvements around performance and some dual core support also.

Zoozer

5. damasta

damasta Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit HD4850 512mb
    First of all, I want to say that I am not a "Fanboy" of nvidia or ati. In the years passed I had 3 ati gpus and 2 nvidia. I want to prove that 8800 will run dx10 games smooth for sure. I don't have any results of dx10 benches but I know a thing or 2 about the computer industry because I am studying it: First of all, nvidia would never sell a gpu 600$ unless it was sure that it will be run smooth the games of dx10. nvidia is a serious company and serious companies care a lot about their reputation. Nvidia would never risk its reputation (and its future as a company). 2. A lot of people bought an 8500-8600 gpu, if the 8800 is not capable of running dx10 games smooth then the owners or 8500-8600 are going to be doomed because their gpus are less powerful. If that happen all these people will never buy an nvidia gpu again. nvidia don't want that. 3. game developers when they produce a game they want to sell it in great numbers. even if the r600 finally manage to be twise as good as 8800gtx, the developers will never release a game that runs smooth only in a r600 gpu because only a small persentage of the gamers will buy that game (the r600 owners). The games not only are going to run smooth on 8800gtx but they are going to run quite good in a 8500/8600 gpu because the biggest part of gamers owns these gpus and game developers want to sell their games to these people. CONCLUSION: 8800 are going to be perfect for the dx10 games bacause if that doesn't happen nvidia and game developers are going to have great losses. And as we say here in Greece: no one wants to digg his own grave!

6. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:
    Interesting point, however looking back over graphics card history, marketing and features sell's cards. However its not unknown for vendors to sell cards with a feature set that wont be used for some time (e.g. 6xxx nvidia cards with SM3.0), and even if they are used they dont always perform as expected. All these things go through evolution, and it may well be nvidia 9xxx series where we are able to use DX10 games in reality and the 8xxx series may never be really tested.

Its takes years to develop a game, and often games that are released are a generation behind the technology (crysis maybe one of those rare occasions where this isn't the case).

Zoozer

7. damasta

damasta Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit HD4850 512mb
    Yes you are right, that can happen if dx10 games don't show up until 9xxx series are released. But even if that happen 8800 won't be a bad buy because until 9xxx and dx10 games are released you will have a gpu what can handle anything you throw at it at dx9

8. AlecRyben

AlecRyben Ancient Guru

GPU:
    5x580 2x590 2x780Ti 1x970
    Hey, I'll even give you a hint who he is: he is the guy who is responsible for naming the cargo ship "ЗОЛ ТЕРЕТЊАК" (it's written in macedonian cyrillic and it means "Evil Cargo Ship")) and for putting the Macedonian flag on it. (ancient gurus probably remember my old avatar ;))

(By the way, I also have some good friends that work at Pixar, PDI Dreamworks, ILM and Sony Imageworks. ;))

Last edited: May 13, 2007
  9. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:

Absolutely :) hence I'm a proud owner of a GTS :approval: :approval: :approval:

10. Dupoint

Dupoint Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 X2 2GB
    @VultureX

"I've already said a dozen times that argument was worthless, yet everyone brings it up again, your flaming up an old conversation here."
    "I was just proving something that was not right. I make a mistake and I have already corrected it. So bother someone else, plz!"

Oops, sorry didn't know that you corrected that....my bad! :bang:

11. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080Ti
    Does SP1 also include DX10 support?

12. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    nope

13. Zooze

Zooze Master Guru

GPU:

As already stated the simple answer for SP1 is no.

Zoozer