Is the 5700xt the most powerful AMD card?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by BlitzTown, Jan 31, 2020.

1. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Active Member

If not what is?

2. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Vega VII or 5700XT, under 400€ is the best AMD option if not the best GPU for the money available.

After summer or else after 1H 2020, we will get new AMD GPUs with double the performance of their current portfolio. Just before new consoles arrival perhaps, when RDNA2.0 is ready.

BlitzTown likes this.
  3. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Active Member

Thanks for the reply

warlord likes this.
  4. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    You reckon the new consoles are using RDNA2.0 or current RDNA1.0? Would be interesting to find out, its probably a highly customised RDNA1.0/2.0 chip probably more like a 1.5 version. Hopefully AMD can include some sweet sauce and make for some extreme gains with console to PC and PC to console ports. I mean, they have the console market in the bag so why not actually use that as leverage to get some performance back on the PC side of things. They are already pretty much faster in both DX12 and Vulkun within their respective price ranges, maybe those optimisations can go further...

warlord likes this.

5. warlord

warlord Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Null
    Consoles will be RDNA2.0 based, that's why they'll launch at Q4 2020. AMD higher end class gpus are due to get released at Q3 2020 or more precisely one year after 5700 RX release.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
  7. Vlooi

Vlooi Active Member

GPU:
    Radeon vii
    You listed the pro vega ii instead of the Radeon vii.

8. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    Don't bother buying the Radeon VII to game on, or the Pro Vega II for that purpose either. Those are best left to professional duties.
    Either get the 5600/5700/5700XT or go Nvidia and grab a 2070 Super like I did (actually for my content creation purposes mostly).
    Not saying do it because I did it; but I had so much trouble with drivers on AMD, that my last card was even unusable at the end on the desktop (or it finally blew up after 3 years, 1~2 weeks after the warranty went out). So Nvidia it was. I wanted to support AMD if possible, but 100% stability is required.
    If you only game at 1080p and don't absolutely need a ton of ray tracing elements, a 2060 Super 8gb / 1660 Super 6gb will be fine for most folks.
    Still absolutely love my Ryzen 3700x system though, it's rock solid and hasn't lagged yet in 6 months of owning it.

You will get into diminishing returns above the EVGA 2060 KO / 2060 Super.
    If you haven't had any driver issues with your old AMD GPU, don't use multi-monitor capability, and so-forth, with the AMD cards, you'd likely be fine buying a new AMD GPU. I can't say the same for my experiences. Card wouldn't keep stable core clocks (not OC'ed!), multi-monitor had lag, fallout 4 got tutti-fruiti textures / bad pallette / shader bugs, strange lag or bugs in BeamNG drive, other games had odd issues. Also people I work with that receive my work use Nvidia so that's a deciding factor also. Wasn't even a BETA driver, and these problems with AMD GPU's mostly persisted across GPU's and driver versions. Polaris cards in Windows 10 would crash constantly like it was a bad card, due to the driver, it got so bad in the end.
    However, if you render scenes/models/textures like I do using ray tracing, these Nvidia cards are a total boon for this!
    --Good luck!
    PS. Make sure to get a good WARRANTY! 3 years or better.
    I bought an EVGA model due to good warranty, you can upload your purchase proof / invoice at time of registration and not have to dig for it later should you need it. Also, they offer a step-up option, so you can do so easily if you need a better card down the line (I believe this is available for working cards, too). So consider it, I've heard nothing but good about EVGA, however they aren't my own experiences.

9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus RX580 XTR 8GB
    Vega II pro duo is two radeon 7's stuck together and 32gb hbm2 memory. How owesome is that. :D

Not for gaming purposes tho.

10. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX1080Ti AMP
    A bitcoin miners wet dream....

Undying likes this.