Is the 4870x2 price expected to drop soon after launch?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by sdamaged99, Aug 11, 2008.

1. sdamaged99

sdamaged99 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3d GTX1080 Ti
    Hi Guys,

Only reason i ask is because i purchased 2 x BFG GTX280's on launch day for £480 each inc VAT and now you can buy 2 x Point of View GTX280's for under £500.

I returned them for a full refund thankfully but i don't want to get stung again like that. If the 4870x2 launches within 10% of the current GTX280 price it will be a great buy, but do you think it will drop as hard and fast as the Nvidia cards did?

thanks

2. domen

domen Master Guru

GPU:
    SAPPHIRE HD4890
    I wouldn't expect major price drops on 4870X2, at least not untill Nvidia brings out something better, or very similar in terms of performance and price.

3. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 6800
    I will drop but not much. HD4870X2 wont have any competition honestly....

4. Lowteckh

Lowteckh Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4850 @ stock
    If we're looking at current trends then maybe $50 bucks, like the 4850 and 4870 have been getting ever since launch.

5. KevKiev

KevKiev Maha Guru

GPU:
    ATI HD6970
    I'm kinda doubting it too. Can't really even recall how much I paid exactly for my 3870X2s (shortly after release), but it doesn't seem they ever dropped very much.

6. Psychlone

Psychlone Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon HD5970 Engineering
    I haven't paid less than $500USD for any card I've owned in the last 8 or more years (sad, really, when the cards nowadays are a thousand-fold what the first $500 cards did) - mostly because I *have to have it when it comes out* - but historically speaking, there's only 1 thing that the price will drop for, and that's something faster from the other company.

This does not bar re and e-tailers from buying in bulk and delivering a better price, which happens from time to time, as well as supply/demand - and with the X2 cards, demand is going to be HUGE - I'm waiting on 2 of them myself...think about all the other people that have the cash to drop on 1 or 2 right now and you'll get what I mean, let alone all the reviews that show it's performance against the nVidia camp...

We'll be in for a rough, expensive ride for a bit, but it'll be oh so worth it!!! :cool:

Psychlone

7. Apoc_

Apoc_ Master Guru

GPU:
    MSi 1060 Gaming X
    I would find out what Nvidia has in store for the near future and what sort of cards they're bringing out and how they'll go against the 4870X2's. The only reason ATi would drop big prices on their X2's is if there's something out better or they're really trying to put Nvidia under some pressure, but I doubt this will happen so soon.

8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Most I paid for any video card is $300, and that was my 4870, and I probably won't ever buy a video card over $300, unless it temps me.

A second 4870 is tempting me, but then so is a better psu.

9. mk_ln

mk_ln Master Guru

GPU:
    eVGA GTX280@700/1400/2600
    i'd suggest a better PSU AND the 4870 ;) (in that order as well)

10. A M D BugBear

A M D BugBear Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4 GTX 970-Quad Sli
    Domen nice avatar. wu haaaaaaaaaaaa TWINS