Is studying game design worth it??

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by strider2023, Nov 2, 2007.

1. strider2023

strider2023 Active Member

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB
    Well i study game design and according to everybody there is no future. But i took this line because i love art ant games. Do u think it was a wise decision. M y college is affiliated under the university of wales.

ALL REPLIES ARE WELCOME:O

2. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    If you are talented and your school is reputable then it would easily be worth your time. Look at how much money Halo 3 brought in and look at how much Crysis brings in when it gets released. There is easily a job market in the gaming industry considering it's expanding size and push towards high end technology they will not only need more people but newly educated on the new subjects.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2007
  3. strider2023

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB
    Thanks LedHed for ur concern.

4. Copey

Copey Ancient Guru

GPU:
    960 2GB
    Im thinking about going into this next year but am thinking the same as you, being one of the most competative aspects of design it is pretty hard to get into a decent company, i have other fall-backs so it aint so bad but others might not be in the same postition.

5. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    what do you mean by game design? actual programming or art design and stuff like that?

Because there is a big difference...

6. KING MIDAS

KING MIDAS Banned

GPU:
    1950 ati
    i was wondering the same thing i wana make games someday

7. bug77

bug77 Banned

GPU:
    Palit 8800GT
    If you're into game engine design or AI, these have uses far beyond just game programming. You can apply those skills to pretty much any simulation application (and there's big bucks being paid for specialized ones).

8. strider2023

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB
    Well to tell the truth i was always fascinated in game character designing and texturing that was the reason because i thought texture guys wold be needed in game industry too.

9. mdsharpe

mdsharpe Active Member

GPU:
    nVidia GeForce 8600GT 256 MB
    hello from a university of wales aberystwyth graduate! i did software engineering. I would say that you may be best off studying straight computer science, or software engineering. i think you would then be adequately qualified to get a job in the gaming industry but you won't have tied yourself down at all, should you wish to get a job in some other area of programming at a later date.

10. victorsays

victorsays Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT 512 SLI
    mdsharpe is right on the money, be sure to do something that is broad enough to allow you to move to another sector once you are done w/ the game industry...and unfortunately I say 'once you are done' as a definite certainty. From what I understand from seminars I've been to, it takes the dedication of a marine in bootcamp for long stretches...willingness to sleep under your desk to finish up a game that is set for release, do tediousness for ungodly hours...but that's only when you start, but you have to start at the bottom for sure. The industry has lots of younger folks because by the late 30s, many are burned out, unless they have moved up the scale to a position that rewards more.

...not to rain on anyone's parade. All I say is, more power to ya if you you are incredibly driven and do something that is relatively rounded :)

11. strider2023

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB
    So are u guys suggesting me to change to game development at is concerns itself mostly with programming???

12. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 1080
    Study something a little more broad is what the rest are actually saying. Also be prepared for a lot of C++ coding and the sort since this is no easy job. My suggestion is start learning the languages to make it easy on yourself. There are few people on this forum that study this (Game Design) as their major and it is not easy at all.

13. victorsays

victorsays Active Member

GPU:
    eVGA 8800GT 512 SLI
    Well man, is art your forte? Is art how you think, how you feel? If so, keep at it...there are plenty of things you can do with in and out of the field.

Can you operate thinking in code and syntax and booleans? If so, do that too :) While it may be impossible to be a jack-of-all-trades, delving into a little bit of everything is beyond great.

If you are primarily an art fiend, stay where you are...and maybe with an emphasis in some code. Also, take some of our advice, but by all means, check out a CG message board.

14. Lycronis

Lycronis Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 970 G1
    Well, I suggest you check out sites like http://www.gamasutra.com/ and read some of the articles there from game industry veterans. It may give you a good idea of what you need or want to do. If you are really serious about making games though, I think you should work really hard at it and make it happen. Just realise that most of the people in the gaming industry don't make huge amounts of money and they work very long hours. I'm not saying the money isn't good, I'm just saying that you shouldn't expect to make tons of money in the short term, if ever. Making games is more about passion than it is about wealth, at least for the top game developers. Also, in all honesty, if you are talented enough to develop the skills for working in the gaming industry, you will not have any problems adapting to another similar industry if you decide that game design isn't for you. Especially if you take up programming, as game programming is some of the most difficult out there. If you take the artist route, there is plenty of avenues to take from there as well, like movies/television, advertising, etc. Whichever you choose, I wish you the best of luck and hope that you achieve your goals.

15. strider2023

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB
    Thank u guys for ur concern.

16. JohnMaclane

JohnMaclane Ancient Guru

GPU:
    8800GTS 640mb
    programming will open up soo many career possibilities, i strongly suggest you pick that up more then art/design but if your an artistic person follow your skills...

Good Programmers are always on tight supply..

17. strider2023

GPU:
    XFX 8800GT 512MB
    I think i have to visit my career councellor in this matter this thing of development and design is eating my brains.

18. mafia_boy

mafia_boy Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus GeForce GTX 970 4gig
    I say go for it, it will be a big challenge but the rewards will be phenomenal! good luck to ya, i would love to have done it but i should have done it when i was younger! Im no spring chicken anymore! lol

19. Vinnie

Vinnie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x AMD R9 290X
    Yep I am. And yes you are right, it is a not so easy job to do.

Within my study there are 2 courses. One is for the artists and one is for the programmers. The artists and programmers both learn their job and together they make a game.

I am a programmer myself and I really have to say, it sounds easier then it really is. I now have to program the game "Space Invaders" and darn it is already very hard! But hey, time will give me more practice and that will make me a better programmer.

It is really fun though! Having a hard time with programming a game and if it then succeeds, man that feels good :)

It is more then only programming though. You will get one of the hardest mathematics too. You can be a good programmer without being good at mathematics. But you will have to be good at mathematics when you want to be a game programmer.

20. Tom F

Tom F Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Saab 900
    I would say no.

I know you're in India, but here in the UK the demand for places (i.e. graduates with these game-related degrees) massively outstrips the availability and the number of places that open up in industry is actually very small (although that's over here - everything in the industry is rapidly moving eastwards to eastern europe, india, pakistan etc).

If this is something you are keen on doing, I would look at doing a physics or maths degree with computer science or something - but then I guess it depends what aspect you want to do.

You should see what the various companies look for in their employees - but just be aware that a game design degree is very specific - so if you can't find a job in the industry it may cause problems finding another job...I have no idea what to do when I finish, so I'm doing physics to keep my options open (and because it's quite ridiculously interesting ;))