Is Steam going from slow to fast then back to slow at random for anyone else?

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Darren Hodgson, Dec 17, 2020.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    I've been absolutely delighted with my internet connection since upgrading to 400 Mbps down and 35 Mbps up fibre in August 2019. Steam especially benefitted from this going from an average download speed of 1 MB/sec to 50 MB/sec. No more waiting hours for games to download, instead they took 20-30 minutes for the majority of stuff.

Just this week though that changed...

I noticed a few days ago that games were downloading incredibly slowly and noticed the bitrate was 200 Kbps with download times listed as being hours for small patches (under 200 MB). I restarted Steam and rebooted my PC. No change. Ran the speed test and it shows the usual 420 down / 35 up so it wasn't my connection (which is wired to the router by the way).

Next day, Steam seemed to return to normal and was peaking at 51.2 MB/sec. Great stuff, it was obviously a glitch at their end. Seems not because I've just bought DiRT 5 from CDKeys.com and it is downloading at under 3 MB/sec.

Anyone else experiencing this?

2. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    I have noticed it too , I was looking to buy some new games wanted to watch the videos that show the gameplay to help me to choose and it was stuttering and some just froze refused to play .
    My guess would be loads of traffic due to the corona and holidays so too many customers on the servers .

3. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    DiRT 5 still downloading at 1.5 - 2.0 MB/sec... 5 hours to complete. Absolutely ridiculous! That is the same speed as my old "up to" 24 Mbps copper connection!!!

Are Steam limiting download speeds then?

I noticed a similar issue on my PS5. Sometimes games will download really quickly (a speed test shows a 200 Mbps download speed at launch) but sometimes they will go really slow.

*EDIT*
    Could it be my ISP that are limiting the speed? How can I check? After all the speed test shows I am getting the full rated speed of my connection (actually more since the package is 400 Mbps down but I almost always have over 420 Mbps).

*EDIT 2*
    Seems to be a UK thing... I've just switched the download location on Steam from UK - Manchester (since that is the nearest to me) to US - New York and now Steam is downloading DiRT 5 at (currently) 13.4 MB/sec and did reach 18.1 MB/sec but it seems to be averaging around 13 now. Still much slower than normal but it's better than 1.5 MB/sec!!!

*EDIT 3*
    Speed is now starting to drop off... down to 8.1 MB/sec and dropping 0.1 MB/sec every second. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreat!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2020
  4. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    It could be just uk , I am on fibre optic and its slow , downloads 6 to 7 MB/sec ...

5. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Destiny took about five hours to download last weekend .

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Steam doesn't serve content directly, it peers with CDN's on or attached to your ISP.

UK has peers in london and manchester.

Darren Hodgson likes this.
  7. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    It’s been always “change dl region” for me to get full speed. I thought people know this is a thing. ^^ it’s always putting me to Germany Düsseldorf which is nearest and since changing to uk London I get full speed. Never had a problem there. I also need to change it back to London every few weeks.

I’d just test some regions where your speed is the one you should get with your connection.
    Maybe you have jitter and packet loss? Hmm..

DannyD and Darren Hodgson like this.
  8. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2
    On the Speed test it usually shows 0 or 1 for jitter and packet loss so I don’t think it’s that. It is a local speed test as well, not one to a distant server.

9. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070
    steam probably doesnt like it but I been using a vpn when downloading

without the vpn max speed is 2mb/s ............

with the vpn speed maxes out at 40mb/s.

changing servers in steam doesnt have any effect.

so ether steam or my isp throttles ip address. but nether will confess to it..o_O

DannyD likes this.
  10. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Had no problems downing Cyberpunk a few days ago, full speed 40MB/sec.

11. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming 970
    That’s helping OP immensely.
    DL Region London?!

12. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 6800 "Vanilla"
    Yeah changing the region to something different but close can help though it needs a client restart.
    Other time there's just a ton of traffic.
    https://steamstat.us/

Only thing that really takes time even after updates for it is the pre-allocation thing Steam does though my download speed isn't the greatest but it works, for now.

Winter sales are coming up too I believe after these Autumn ones earlier and various discounts, people are home from the holidays or from the C Virus in areas with mandatory restrictions on how this is being handled.

13. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    UK Manchester.

Just downed the new Cyberpunk patch, started off ok, then was stoppy starty. :p

14. TekkMarine

TekkMarine Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980Ti GTX SC
    No connection issues for myself, can download 110 GB in less than 3-4 hours.

System slow downs while downloading have always been an issue with steam, either that or i have RAM issues.