1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Scanline Sync functional with Nvidia Optimus Laptops?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by AlexanderV, Apr 24, 2019.

1. AlexanderV

AlexanderV New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Greetings everyone.

So I have been trying to figure out how scanline sync works and hopefully benefit from this great feature.
    I own an ASUS ROG STRIX SCAR II gaming laptop paired with a GTX 1060 6GB and an i7 8750H. I am not the most demanding gamer in the world, I am extremely satisfied with 1080p@30fps at High settings but I hate tearing/stuttering with a passion. I usually go for a 30fps lock through RTSS and turn on Vsync to avoid tearing. I choose to accept the input lag and the micro stuttering this offers.
    Due to my laptop using the Nvidia Optimus technology, Half V-Sync/Fast Sync is not an option.
    I have been playing arround with the feature, setting Scanline Sync to x/2 and changing values from -1 all the way up to -300 with no difference at all. The tearline is still present and persistent. Vsync is turned off both in game and through the nvidia control panel and I am running the game at fullscreen. My question is, could this feature not be available due to Nvdia Optimus? Everything has to first go through the intel display adapter first, correct? Does this mess up with Scanline Sync maybe? Or am I doing something wrong? GPU utilisation is bellow 60 percent. I am trying this in games like the Witcher 3, AC Unity, Metro Exodus, Shadow of the Tomb Raider etc. Tearing is visible even at the menus where GPU utilisation is extremely low!

Thanks in advance.

2. dimonoid

dimonoid Member

GPU:
    gtx 1070 mobile
    You must disable vsync for scanline to work properly. And please disable tripple buffering. To deal with the stuttering I recommend that you decrease, yes, decrease frequency of cpu until it stays constant. Also cap frequency of the gpu in afterburner (in the menu of editing voltage curve press CTRL+L), this works the best against stuttering for me.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    AlexanderV likes this.
  3. AlexanderV

AlexanderV New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB

Thanks for the reply.
    Vsync is disabled when I experiment with ScanlineSync, as I stated above. Tripple buffering too.

I wasn't aware of the fact that cpu/gpu usage/frequency can affect tearing. Will experiment on what you said.
    I am also limiting Maximum Pre Rendered Frames to 1. Is that having any impact, negative or positive? Thanks in advance.

4. dimonoid

dimonoid Member

GPU:
    gtx 1070 mobile
    I didn't notice any difference in stuttering or input lag in the games I am playing. It looks like many games nowadays are just ignoring this setting, but I may be wrong. I always set Maximum Pre Rendered Frames to 1, the same way as you.