is Samsung 226BW any good for gaming?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by xankazo, Jan 30, 2008.

1. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    I've never had any LCD monitor and I've heard bad things about them when used for gaming. Things like trailing images, lagging, poor resolution scaling, etc. Since CRTs are almost extinct and LCDs are getting better, I wonder if this monitor will do fine for gaming.

thanks...

2. PHJF

PHJF Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 970
    Its supposed to be only bad at displaying blacks, which is certainly not going to help your Splinter Cell game. That's the only issue I have with 226CW. I'm sure I could configure it to more reasonable levels but it's only an issue in a selection of games, none of which im currently playing.

3. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    how about scaling? does the edges look fine? I've seen some games with some monitors and they look like $hit, honestly.

4. vidra

vidra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1060 6GB
    Ha! you have 1337 posts. Cool! The 226BW has a 2ms response time so you won't have any noticeable ghosting. All TN LCD monitors have problems with black not being exactly black and all LCD monitors have crap scaling (the image is blurry and uneven) BUT at its native resolution, the image is amazingly crisp and it is a f*ckin ointment to the eyes compared to any CRT. In addition it's the future (nay, it's the present) so you should just go with it.

5. masterman

masterman Banned

GPU:
    VisionTek 1950pro 635/790 Omega7.10
    If the price is good , go for it , Samsung is one of the better brands , you shouldn't find any dead pixals , but check it as soon as you get it , just to be sure !!

6. Dr4Ce

Dr4Ce New Member

GPU:
    Asus/EN8800GTS HTDP 640M/640Mb
    2ms on gray values 8ms on collor
    It's also has good contrast values 3000:1
    No ghosting what so ever.

You will not have any black borders.
    Though this mostly depends on the graphics card as it can be set by screen or VGA card.

I got the 226BW my self and it's verry clear and sharp.

I was verry satisfied with my 226BW.

Further more exelent for gaming

7. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    Older lcd's had these probs yes, but I have the samsung 931BW and it's not bad. The only thing that annoys me is that when not using the native resolution, everything get's blurred (and LCD has only 1 res, it's highest, every other resolution will be stretched to the default resolution of the screen).

8. livesoft

livesoft Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB OC2/Samsung 226BW
    Some bleeding on the bottom but barely noticeable and only when the screen is fully black.

The screen made some very annoying noise, but happened twice in a month.

Also, you may get into the pannel lottery but I just bought mine, didn't found which panel I had, but image is really good.

Samsung made a new version of the screen. Don't remember the name but people says its more reliable. I can't confirm that but overall, the 226BW IS a really good monitor for gaming.

9. Dr4Ce

Dr4Ce New Member

GPU:
    No bleeding for me,
    tho had it one time with a bad Nvidia driver.(only in Vista btw)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  10. Dr4Ce

Dr4Ce New Member

GPU:
    wrong...

11. livesoft

livesoft Member Guru

GPU:
    BFG 8800GT 512MB OC2/Samsung 226BW
    The fact is that you can only see bleeding when the screen is completly dark. I only noticed it after I did a dead pixel check.

[​IMG]

This can seem dramatic but I can tell that you can't notice that on normal use.

12. StreeTunder

StreeTunder Maha Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 4870 1024Mb
    226bw its an awesome lcd for gaming!!!

22", 2ms, 1680x1050 resolution, 3000:1... go for it.

I have one, and i say to you, best damn lcd i ever had.

13. xankazo

xankazo Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    what troubles me most, actually is res scaling. is it common for games to support 1680x1050? and does it really look awful when not? this is crucial for me to decide whether to stay old school or jump on the bandwagon.

14. acon

acon Member Guru

GPU:
    eVga/8800gts/512
    I play several games at lower res on my 226bw because my video card can´t handle 1680x1050. Don´t worry, they look great. Sometimes i forget they´re scaled