Is running two page files better?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Incognito, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Incognito

Incognito Guest

Probably a dumb question but...is there any performance benefit of running dual page files, each on a separate HD (not partitions, actual HD's)?

2. RoninCS

RoninCS Guest

Probably not, but I've never tried it. The best way to run a Page file is to run it on the HD that's not your OS drive, though.

3. Incognito

Incognito Guest

Well I've got it on the empty 40 GB HD. Wasn't sure if maybe the two page files could poll they're power together and maybe do some sorta miracle super speed thing...but that's only one theory lol.

4. RoninCS

RoninCS Guest

Well, you could always try it and see what happens. It certainly can't hurt anything.

5. Incognito

Incognito Guest

Yep, gonna try later on tonight and see what happens.

6. Lala

Lala Active Member

GPU:
    Abit GF3 Ti200
    It only works esp if it is on different IDE channel. If the HDs are on the same cable. I doubt it will make a difference.

7. insanonate

insanonate Active Member

GPU:
    BFG Tech Geforce FX 5900
    i doubt it will make any diffrence what so ever. and if it does it will be so slight you won't be able to notice it.

8. Incognito

Incognito Guest

Ah well, thx for the help, 1 page file is more than enough I guess :p, atleast untill I upgrade to 1 GB of RAM, then I won't need any page file :D.

9. stealthmaker

stealthmaker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor ATI 5770 1GB
    can u give an explaination for this?!

10. iisbob

iisbob Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1070
    Since the page file ( your virtual memory ) is dynamic, and active on most systems-better to kleep it off the same partition as your system files; also becuase it can become highly fragmented.

Take a look at MS support site, it's always been recommend to not keep your virtual memory on the same drive/partition as your system/boot files-this is why Unix/Linux always set up a separate partion for it ( and everything else, this is the way it should be done! )

:D

Seriously tho, even under Old DOS i used to create a seprerate partion for dat/systsm/user-and under NT & the 9X series i always did the same ( habit from being a Unix admin )-created separate partition for system/user/page file.

11. stealthmaker

stealthmaker Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor ATI 5770 1GB
    okk thanx for the explanation

12. haderlump

haderlump New Member

if you have the drive you wanted to put the 2nd page file on, what you do is raid them together so you would indeed have 2 HDs associated with the page file -- but actually have still only 1 page file. (spanned across the drive)

this is common sense (and also proven and done often)

the implementation of this i last read about put a static sized pagefile on partitions just big enough for it as static page files neither change size or get defragmented.
    :puke2:
    im far from a guru but thought i should offer this alternative to 2 page files for those seeking performance through these means.

really, it depends on what you are doing as for example in gaming you would hope to not rely on virtual mem at all but to cram your data onto your RAM -- i read about that infamous Viper guy getting his machine to run WITHOUT a page file...

13. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    OK, why do the first two guys have no stats for them? Looks like they are fake accounts or something.

BTW, running your OS without a page file is quite simple. I've done it before. Just go to where you set your page files and turn them all off. Can't say if it actually gets rid of all the page files, but the places that I have them stored are empty. No more pagefile.sys files. More of a pain in my situation though. I'd easily need like 2-4 GB of RAM to have everything covered. I'm not even sure if it's beneficial.

14. Jordus

Jordus Maha Guru

GPU:
    Radeon X800 PRO / Stock
    turning it off totally isnt really recommended. Storing it on another disk offers some benefit.

Also, making it a static size is best, although i think the jury is still out on exactly what size is perfect (some say 2x amount of RAM, some say half, some say the same) who knows.

Static size and a tleast enough to cover half your ram would be wise.

The best thing to do for your system is just have plenty of physical memory.

15. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT
    Check the date in the OT.

Seems someone thought they needed to revive a 5 year old thread. :bang:

16. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    I thought somebody talking about having to upgrade to 1gb of RAM was a bit odd... Didn't think to look at the dates though! haha

17. Alexstarfire

Alexstarfire Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce 9800GTX+ @ stock
    I just kinda skipped over them once I realized that they seemed to be fake. You'd think they'd just get rid of threads that are over a year old. It's gotta just be wasted space.

18. curtagain

curtagain New Member

GPU:
    BFG 8800 GTS 512mb G92 Video Card
    Interesting subject although a old post! My understanding of this is: A page file is always slower than actual Ram. So you can disable it if your sure you have enough Ram to cover the running applications. If not the application will crash.

19. stormy

stormy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5600XT