Is "Prefer Max Performance" more necessary when using Framerate Limiters?

Discussion in 'Rivatuner Statistics Server (RTSS) Forum' started by BlindBison, Feb 10, 2024.

1. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I recall reading that Nvidia's driver level limiter has an auto power saving feature where it downclocks the GPU when in use if there's a significant amount of GPU overhead. They did this perhaps for laptops that wanted to conserve power when gaming I expect, but it seems I can see this behavior occur when monitoring GPU usage in games provided I use the driver level limiter (e.g. If uncapped a game runs at variable ~110 and I cap to 90, I can see the GPU usage seems to still read like 90% after sometime probably due to this downclocking behavior/power saving feature -- I could be wrong, but that's what it looks like anyway).

With RTSS framerate limiting however this behavior does not appear to occur. My question is, I understand the "Prefer Max Perf" toggle does do something with Nvidia's limiter, but could it also be more needed with the RTSS limiter? I wonder if the "Normal/Optimal" power mode might get confused if it has a large amount of GPU overhead when capping the framerate, but I really have no insight into how that works so figured I'd ask.

For heavy 3D games I figure there's at least no harm in enabling "Prefer Max Perf" in the driver/control panel settings, no? Any insight into how this stuff works would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2024
    pegasus1 and fluidz like this.
  2. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Prefer max performance is for hindering the driver to downclock the GPU in situations where it is not necessary to have the GPU at full clock speed. Thus the GPU is slower but has more usage% than when in full clock speed.
    At first glance this seems to be a clever idea, saving some power and keeping heat down, but it always takes a tiny amount of time to clock it up again when it is needed and you may get lower performance for a single frame or even a couple of frames which you may notice as hiccups or lags.
    Selecting prefer max performance is the way to eliminate this.

Smough and BlindBison like this.
  3. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Thanks a lot, that makes sense. Much appreciated, this topic is something I've wanted to better understand for awhile now. In that case for the super intensive 3D applications (Cyberpunk/Hunt Showdown, etc) I'll switch on "Prefer max perf" for their specific profiles then for the super light games like Master Duel + Global control panel setting I'll leave it on "Normal" so as not to waste tons of power :)

@Smough iirc you had also asked about this aways back so @Andy_K 's answer may interest you

Smough likes this.
  4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    More likely just the clocks working as they should, if a game does not need full power with a cap then downclock.
    Why you didn't see it with RTSS is probably due to being borderline, if your uncapped fps is around 110 and you cap to 90 it surely is an edge case, are full clocks needed or not.
    GPU usage at 90 % would suggest that too.

I see downclocking with RTSS caps all the same as NV.

And like Andy_K said the usage % is relative to the clock speed, 50 % at 2000 MHz would be 100 % at 1000 MHz (in theory) etc

Last edited: Feb 11, 2024
    BlindBison likes this.

5. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
  6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    eGGroLLiO and BlindBison like this.
  7. BlindBison

BlindBison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    lol :D

8. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2024
    BlindBison likes this.
  9. pegasus1

pegasus1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 4090
    As it says for reducing system latency, thats how i have my games set and use Max power setting. Pantjo put out a good video explaining how this works, and for me it gave the smoothest results once i define the lowest frame rate i experience.
    So for me if i see say CP2077 dip to 70fps occasionally i set the max frame rate at 75fps so for the vast majority of the game im at a solid 75fps with smooth gameplay and consistent frame times.

BlindBison likes this.
  10. oneoulker

oneoulker Member Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3070
    [​IMG]

BlindBison likes this.

11. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I just set "Prefer maximum performance" per game's .exe and globally, i just leave the GPU on "Optimal performance" as i only truly need my GPU to full its full potential when gaming and i don't want any sudden downclocks.

Andy_K and BlindBison like this.
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    you can also get stuck at low power 3d clocks with the imc at 100% util and framerate can't get high enough to push the gpu util above the trigger point at 40%

BlindBison likes this.