Is overclocking on an Asus board best to be done by a.i?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Serotonin, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I'm not a big overclocker. I have a Asus z590-e board. In bios it has this A.I overclock option. I selected that. Now on boot under the logo is says 51% overclock. Which seems really good to me if I'm reading that correctly. But is it too much? Do I need to worry? Is it better to manually do this? I'm on an 11900k and I know these guys can run hot. I've got core temp installed and seems to be doing well under 75c on all cores in benchmarks I run.

Just looking for any tips or suggestions with doing this?

Noticed some nice gains in games like gears 5, almost 10fps. 5fps in Shadow of Tomb Raider. Both in 4k. Spiderman remastered doesn't have an in-game benchmark but I noticed some really big gains in that as well. I assumed at 4k I wouldn't see much difference and in some games I don't. But with the new gpu, I keep seeing more cpu bound instances than I had before and got curious as to what an overclock would do.

2. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    No.

Manual is always best.

BIOS "A.I" is just auto overclocking letting the board find a spot. Generally these increase core voltages way too much leading to higher temps for minimal gains in performance.

Honestly, these days overclocking is not really needed unless you are on older hardware and need/want a few more percentage performance instead of spending money for new hardware. But manual is always best to find that sweet spot.

If you are CPU bound in games then turn up the graphics settings, force more stuff through driver control panel. You can use DSR to run games at higher resolutions which will certainly alleviate any bottlenecks. Surprising at 4K you see CPU bottlenecks, this could also be because the games you are playing are just simply not coded to take advantage of more than a few cores. This is only fixed by increasing the graphics to put more strain on the GPU.

patteSatan and Serotonin like this.
  3. bobnewels

bobnewels Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Well it is awesome you found FPS gains at 4K with RTX 4080 with ASUS AI Overclocking.

This has not been my findings with similar hardware ,so I am not attacking you in anyway.
    EG:10850K/12600K/12900K/13700KF CPU's with GPU's RTX 3070Ti/RTX 3080/RTX3090/RTX 4090.

I agree with some of what CPC_RedDawn said
    I would say the ASUS AI overclocking or Manual overclocking does not really matter on newer hardware playing PC Games. I will not mention the guys on the forums with $2500 dollar watercooling /13900K /ddr5 8000Mhz Ram with RTX 4090 trying to show off there e-peen running Shadow Of The Tomb Raider on lowest settings at 720p/1080p.

The real truth is as I mentioned is does not matter FPS wise on PC Gaming with newer hardware at normal CPU clock and default settings are good but I do not run default settings because I also like bigger numbers.

I just did these test even on lower resolution with max raytracing ultra no DLSS on Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 5000Mhz/5800Mhz/ASUS AI Overclock at 5400Mhz these are the results the same and perfectly playable while the actual 5800Mhz all core overclock was no different from the 5000Mhz all core overclock.

13700KF @5000Mhx all core overclock RTX 3070Ti 2560x1440 Avg 88FPS
    5000.jpg

13700KF @5800Mhx all core overclock RTX 3070Ti 2560x1440 Avg 88FPS
    5800.jpg

13700KF @5400Mhx ASUS AI overclock RTX 3070Ti 2560x1440 AVG 87FPS
    aioc.jpg

CPC_RedDawn and Serotonin like this.
  4. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I've been doing DSR for the reasons you're mentioning. I hit 150% in Gears 5 with fps still around 60-80. Really sharp looking. Some games even if enabled in the driver, don't allow above 4K which is a bummer. The gpu bound isn't huge but it's there. Found it weird as well though because when I read reviews of 12900k and 13900k gaming in 4k seems pretty stagnant as far as frames gained.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022

5. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    This game runs great without an oc but since it has a built in benchmark I've used it. I get 122fps in 4k with everything maxed out, ray tracing ultra and dlss on quality.

I get 127fps with same settings and a.i overclock enabled.

I guess I'll just not worry about it. At least until it's needed and by then I'll probably buy a new board. The best gain I saw was gears 5 in 4k, maxed, just under 10 frame improvement with the OC. But like shadow, I'm over 100 fps without the oc. I started all this because some of my scores seemed lower than reviewers but they were using the 13900k. So I wanted to see what an oc would bring me to and see if it would remove and small bottleneck the benchmarks were showing (it did). But I'm glad I read both of your posts. No point doing all this for a few frames that aren't even necessary.

Reviews are odd. Every review I read shows me getting 20fps more in Gears 5 and 10-15 less in Shadow. Then some are just within a few frames either way.

6. bobnewels

bobnewels Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I really do think people get blinded by a couple FPS difference and think it is a big deal.It really is not.
    I PC Game 95% of the time on my LG 65'OLED with G-sync on 120FPS and with the RTX 4090 the first half decent 4K GPU ever made ,I still run with G-sync on 120FPS.
    In the last week I been slumming it with a RTX 3070TI at 2560x1440 and I am perfectly happy ,although I know I could get more FPS.
    There is a whole bunch of fun in overclocking at testing but if you enjoy just playing PC Games your gear is golden and like you said by the time you need to overclock,there will be new gear.
    Me personally I am still a nut and will be overclocking just because I can even though I know it makes no difference in my PC use,hell I can run my 13700KF at 6000Mhz and I run it at 5500Mhz 95% of the time.

CPC_RedDawn and Serotonin like this.
  7. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Maybe things have changed but an AI overclock always used to mean too much voltage (sometimes to a dangerous level) and not enough frequency.

Does the AI overclock retain the power saving features of the CPU? If it results in a fixed frequency and voltage, it's junk IMHO.

If it is managing to do an offset mode overclock, I would check it hasn't unnecessarily set any voltages ridiculously high.

Why_Me likes this.
  8. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    AI- bunch of IF statements piled up.
    Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Played with that on some builds I did for friends, just to see the results. As above, the AI overclock increased the baseline voltages, way too much. Not ideal in terms of heat and hardware lifespan.

Serotonin likes this.
  9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    @bobnewels or anyone that can answer.

What's the deal with XMP profiles. I thought they were for memory? But when I enabled them it looks like my cpu is automatically oc'd to 5.1GHZ from 3.50GHZ? I can only get the true advertised speed of my ram by overclocking the cpu with it? I've been way too out of touch with overclocking. Sorry for the dumb questions.

Or is this enabling cpu boost? Is that safe?

10. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    Setting XMP is making the CPU work correctly.

The 11900k max boost speed varies between 4.7GHz and 5.3Ghz depending on conditions such as load, power use and temperature. All these things can be controlled and overriden in the BIOS.

[​IMG]

Serotonin likes this.

11. bobnewels

bobnewels Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    XMP (Extreme Memory Profile, by IntelĀ®) or AMD EXPO (Extended Profiles for Overclocking, by AMD) JEDEC is the standard used by all manufactures
    I am no expert but I can say motherboards are not smart. They read the profiles data off the RAM sticks from manufactures and load whatever data from manufacture sets. When one uses an XMP/AMD EXPO profile it is overclocking and thus damage can occur and warranty is not covered, it changes the frequencies and possibly the voltages, which are internal to the CPU.

Personally using any XMP/AMD EXPO it is best to use as a guide and set your own settings manual if your an overclocker looking for every bit of juice. If your just a normal guy who wants to plays some games it should be ok without problems. I would only be worried if you set XMP 2 and your PC starts crashing,then I would set manual settings.

I have no problem using my CPU with higher voltages and using to CPU to my advantage for useless bigger numbers for e-peen.

I am not sure or can not remember 100% if Intel covers overclocking anymore. So if you want to be safe and covered under warranty,leave everything default but that is not a normal thing to do,it is only a piece of hardware which can be replaced at anytime so I say enjoy the CPU at any setting with reason,if it breaks get a new one.

I say this a lot,trust the engineers who make these things. Do not do crazy stuff unless you know what your doing and everything will be fine 99% of the time. There is no product made anywhere that is 100% reliable,safe, sometimes things do not work.

Not a great answer but it is what I got.
    EDIT: Just like southamptonfc posted before me,trust engineers and let CPU do it's thing

Last edited: Dec 9, 2022
    Serotonin likes this.
  12. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB