Is NVIDIA the only IT company forcing telemetry to its costumers??

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Jen1, Feb 12, 2021.

1. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    I wonder if just a basic stock install might be better. It might be spamming connection because the install driver doesn't have all of its systems in place.

2. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 4080:)
    Does the same thing , it's only spamming because it can't get internet access :)

NVIDIA isn't doing anything nefarious , what it is doing is entirely harmless really. At least not what i have seen with the stripped down install.

When i first stumbled upon what the driver is doing it shocked me at first to where i was going to post a thread about it few months ago what the NvDisplay.Container.exe is doing when it's trying to connect to the internet , but it's was so surreal i wasn't 100% sure. I'll have to recheck someday to see if it is really accurate what happened :)

3. magic09

magic09 Member

GPU:
    2080 Super
    Wow I thought NVcleaninstall blocked all the spying telemetry? All these companies spying on your personal computer is out of control. How can I block this? Facebook just locked down their own spying on Quest firmware released this week and it sends a frightening amount of data(maps of your home-body size- body movement patterns-objects in your home) could block it all and disable it up too now if you knew the right ADB commands to run but also nvidia jesus and I agree with guy Privacy is your right and everyone must defend it and the (if I am not doing anything wrong argument is garbage) do i live in a house with glass walls because I am not doing anything wrong? 4th Amendment is probably most importnant law next to first and second and sadly has been eviscerated in the tech era.

ZXRaziel likes this.
  4. artina90

artina90 Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080Ti
    After tweaking my os, drivers and whatnot for years, I came to the conclusion that, very often, tweaking or cutting something out in order to improve performance achieve the exact opposite result.
    Nvidia doesn't test the clean version of the drivers internally.
    Who knows what happens in the background when the driver tries to do something only to find a missing/disabled component.
    The same goes for OS tweaks, you should never do anything unless you are 100% sure that you need said tweak, drivers and games are tested against unmodified, untweaked versions of the OS.

PPC likes this.

5. JAMVA

JAMVA Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Gaming X 4080:)
    Hi,

In addition to https://152.199.20.80 port 443 i posted earlier there are also these:-

telemetry.gfe.nvidia.com 8.36.80.197
    telemetry.gfe.nvidia.com 8.36.80.252
    telemetry.gfe.nvidia.com 8.36.113.141
    activation-dc1.gfe.nvidia.com 8.36.80.230
    events.gfe.nvidia.com 8.36.80.236
    services.gfe.nvidia.com 152.199.24.108

They all use SSL port 443

NvDisplay.Container.exe will connect to Nvidia GFE servers even with No Geforce Experience installed.

Example:-

0214-22:07:49.406 0D44 Going to use URL: https://services.gfe.nvidia.com.

'clean' stripped down version installed using nvcleaner , standard install could have even more.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    SatsuiNoHado and rflair like this.
  6. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Ya on my other PC I strip down the Nvidia drivers, I didn't even know they had moved to putting telemetry in the Container file till this thread.
    I firewall all the telemetry I can, thanks.

7. AQUILES

AQUILES Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    No Nvidia telemetry services are active if GFE is not installed.
    Unless you imply that you know more than Microsoft programmers.
    Yes, those who designed the Windows resource monitor.

Do you even read what you write?
    There they talk about editing registry, using command lines, editing local policies, etc.
    All that in no way amounts to "Microsoft gives options to disable telemetry".

By the way, telemetry is obligatory since many services depend on it, including games.
    For example, if it is disabled, no progress or achievements are recorded in user profiles.

Smough likes this.
  8. Jen1

Jen1 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080 2x SLI
    I am not sure if you think that we are stupid or idiots, but if only NVIDIA stops paying users on forums and starts paying real programmers to fix the bugs in their drivers and buggy and old control panel.

NVIDIA telemetry was services that could be disables, but now it is embedded in the driver and no way to disable it. And no it will still collecting data even if GFE is not install, I don't know what do "Microsoft's programmers" have to do with NVIDIA telemetry??

And again, AMD telemetry is still a service runs outside the driver and it is OPTIONAL and it does not required "advanced" users to disabled it

Disabling windows telemetry is so easy, doesn't even require "advanced users" and there are lots of tools to make it even easier https://wpd.app/

And NO, none of the tools mentioned in this thread can disable NVIDIA telemetry, these tools was before when telemetry was an external service, it is snow embedded in the driver and as the title said, it is FORCED

Undying likes this.
  9. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Ok, After reading all the above posts I tried monitoring networking activity on NVcontainer.exe through PE and resource monitor. I say a tiny bit when booting system but after that nothing, played a game for hr still nothing after the first bit.
    Any program that has a auto-update or means to update is going to do a check when starting at some point. I will leave it monitoring and see what else if any through the day.

PS I have GTX970 so it's old and use NVcleanstall to do a basic install never had GFE ever on the system.

10. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Oh my goodness, so much ignorance in this thread, I'm surprised how many people here do not care about their identity and data security and privacy, The problem is that software is collecting data, even if you write to Nvidia directly to object about the data collection and ensure that Nvidia destroy any related data, it does not stop data being collected, it just means the data has to be destroyed after collection which means it is still there to be possibly read.

Nvidia are complying with EU and UK law in the most basic way, leaving it up to the data subject to manage their data requiring them to contact thee relevant data registrar.

I would also like to discuss people using the "freedom of speech" argument. Often, people will cite they have freedom of speech, often in the misguidance that it allows anyone to say anything. Unfortunately, this is not true. Yes, we have freedom of speech, we are free to make any kinds of statements, discuss any "issues" but people forget we also have the responsibility to ensure that no harm comes from that speech. There are laws that ban certain forms of speech, particularly forms of discrimination, unlawful accusations or otherwise anything that can either cause danger or harm.
    Tl;dr on freedom of speech, you can say what you want but you have to be responsible for the consequences.

Sadly though, in this modern global age. laws of one country are not observed in another and so causes problems such as these, the only sure fire way of ensuring privacy is to not be connected :/

11. vf

vf Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATi Radeon™
    How do you know that?

What do you mean about buggy old control panel? What's it do?

12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    NCP is slow ass trash. Buggy, and stuck in 2008.

Smough, itpro and Undying like this.
  13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Guys stop paying attention to this thread.
    OP is not concerned about privacy. I made that conclusion after his/her reply to my comment about disabling NV telemetry transmission by firewall - he/she wrote that telemetry data is still being collecting (locally on PC).
    And in response to his/her speculation about being payed by NV I can accuse him/her of being payed by AMD to bash NV on forums in any possible way.

Smough, AQUILES and Mineria like this.
  14. TimmyP

TimmyP Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    Should be a way to hide threads on this forum

15. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Does it hurt?

16. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Its a control panel from 2002 bland and ugly with a 5sec lag when changing an option. Why nvidia dont remedy this and change it to something more modern idk.

Agonist and itpro like this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nobody wants a new control panel, there was a poll, only 30 people voted in it.

You can enjoy your bloated plastic radeon control center that can actually crash the machine because its been feature creeped to the levels of instability, but the actual geforce users rarely do anything with it.

PPC, AQUILES, Xtreme512 and 1 other person like this.
  18. ZXRaziel

ZXRaziel Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia
    Legally spying on you without your consent is illegal , if you can prove it you could sue the aforementioned company. They are sneaky about it these days and usually you agree to it in the small print agreement without even realising it , but that’s classed as deceitful trick . All agreements should be clear and possible to understand otherwise they have no legal weight .

19. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It just works right? :p

theoneofgod and itpro like this.
  20. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    If Jensen had the skills to be CEO of Microsoft, he would force people to try out Windows XP RTX edition.

Undying likes this.