Is My Samsung EVO 970 1TB M.2 Drive Performing As it Should?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Mechwarrior419, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Mechwarrior419

Mechwarrior419 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080
    [​IMG]
    SSD_BENCH_2 (2).jpg
    Hello everyone. Thread title pretty much explains it all. This is my first m.2 SSD and I just want to make sure that it is performing properly.

Edit:

I just ran UserBenchmark, and here are the results....

Asus ROG STRIX Z490-E GAMING Performance Results - UserBenchmark

For some reason one of the gpu test fails. Although all other benchmarks that I run on the GPU ( RTX 3080 ) give me good results.

However It says that my SSD is severely underperforming. Yet at the same time It also says that it's performance is outstanding so I'm a little confused. Again your guy's help is always appreciated.

Edit 2:

Was just doing some research and it appears the consensus is that if the drive is close to being full to capacity ( which mine is close 90% full and is the only drive in the system ) than benchmark scores, namely write speeds, can take a nosedive. Could that be what the issue is here? Also I have ran the AS Bench several times and the highest total score I saw was a little over 4400 after installing the samsung drivers ( For the run in the screenshot I was using the default microsoft driver ).

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
  2. Mechwarrior419

Mechwarrior419 Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080
    Well I found the issue.

I installed the drive in the secondary slot, So it was running at PCIe 3.0 on 2 lanes. There was an option in the BIOS ( ASUS Z-490E ) to set the secondary slot to PCIe x4 which I enabled. Now my AS Bench scores are around 5400, And the Samsung Magician Bench shows an increase from 1775mb/s to 3560mb/s in sequential reads and 1710mb/s to 2393mb/s in sequential writes. Random reads and writes showed a much more modest increase.

Curiously UserBench still says my drive is underperforming but I don't particularly trust the benchmark considering It struggles to get through the GPU test succesfully and sometimes fails to complete the storage bench.