Is my RTX2070 Super slowing down...?

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Overclock Application Discussion' started by DJ5D, Jul 15, 2020.

1. DJ5D

DJ5D New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    I purchased a Gigabyte RTX2070 Super about six months back, and I ran the auto OC function in MSI Afterburner.

I ended up with a preset which ran at 2010-2025MHz under full load. I was happy with this....

Then a few months later I had to do a clean install of Win10, and when I re-ran the auto OC, the best it would give me was ~1995Mhz.

Now it gets weird....I just ran a OC scan and test, and when I *load* the profile the curve editor shows me a max of 1980MHz, but when I actually *apply* that profile, the curve then shows it going up to 2040Mhz @ around 1150mV. In game though, it never hits that- maxing out at less than 2000MHz.

So two questions here...

1. Is my card slowing down, or is it getting 'broken in'?
    2. Why does the curve editor show different curves once I apply the profile?

2. Dan Longman

Dan Longman Active Member

GPU:
    2080ti watercooled
    I don't know where you live but temperature has a huge effect on the boosting in nvidia cards, so 6 months ago in Jan/Feb if the ambient temps were much cooler that could explain the difference there are so many variables in play using the OC Scanner that I personally always prefer manually creating a curve to OC Scanner. The OC Scanner is actually a NVIDIA feature that AB implements, so not really an afterburner issue. Should have made this thread in the nvidia graphics card forum

As to the curves changing that is by default it's not a fixed curve the card itself will constantly modify the curve based on a ton of factors, temp, voltage reliability, etc

RodroG, DJ5D and Noisiv like this.
  3. DJ5D

DJ5D New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    Creating a manual curve is exactly what I did initially, making it go to 2010MHz @ 1000Mv. With fans at 100% my card idles at around 35C and gets into the low 50s under load. It seems that it's only been lately that the curve has been changing itself. Perhaps its a recent update that I did or because the temps are indeed a bit hotter in July. I just want to make sure that whatever I am doing is completely safe.

Even with the lower max, my FPS & performance doesnt seem to be suffering, I'm still curious if that is something like a break-in effect.

4. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I can confirm that not all curves are being applied "as is".
    It's normal.

DJ5D and Dan Longman like this.

5. DJ5D

DJ5D New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    After some more testing, I can confirm that temps are not anything out of the ordinary, but yet I cant get afterburner to stay at a higher oc. Any ideas why my settings are not sticking, other than temps?

6. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Again normal behavior. Read about Nvidia Boost (specifically 4.0)

Not all workloads are equally stressing GPU.Some can run at higher freq, others can't reach that high.
    If GPU was running at constant maximum possible frequency that would mean you'd had to settle for a lower freq. therefore throwing away maximum possible performance.
    Your card is running at maximum possible freq. within constraints - physical, electrical, curve, power, temp.

7. DJ5D

DJ5D New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2070S
    I guess the questions are, why did my card's speed drop- I don't think its temps- and how do I get my card back to 2010MHz instead of 1995Mhz......or whether I really need to.

I've been using BF5 as my 'big hog', a resource-intensive game that requires max performance. Maybe I should up the settings and see if the card steps up. I'm just worried that somehow my card has degraded.

8. DaRkL3AD3R

DaRkL3AD3R Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti STRIX OC
    First off, stop using increased voltage if you're worried about degradation:

Second, have you tried using the curve editor to lock to a set power plot and see if the clocks are correct? For instance on my 1080 Ti, I have a profile that lets the GPU dynamically clock with a +75 core offset, and my max core clock in the curve editor while idle and temps are in the 20s Celsius, is 2050Mhz at 1.063v (default max voltage.) When I switch to my second profile that takes this same curve and forces the card to lock into that 1.063v power plot, then the card runs at 2050Mhz until the temperature rises. At certain set points, the clock speed drops in increments of 12.5Mhz. So at like 32C it drops to 2037Mhz. Then again at 45C it drops to 2025Mhz. Then again at 60C it drops to 2013Mhz so on and so forth. If I apply the profile while the card is running hot, it won't hit 2050Mhz but will instead hit 2025Mhz or whatever my current temperature is.