Is my PSU giving up?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Alexis444, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Alexis444

Alexis444 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700XT RAW
    Gents:

About a week ago I switched my GA-78LMT-USB3 for the MSi 970 Gaming and also installed the Cooler Master MasterLiquid Lite 120. Played for a while until 3 days ago when the PC restarted. After that I was able to use it a little but ramdom restarts and shutdowns kept coming. Let it cool for a while and booted up normally. I was able to check the temps and are fine. After checking, the system become unable to boot, even can enter to the bios, just freeze and does nothing. Hoping is the psu I dont want to disasemble to RMA the mobo. No oc just the graphics card that has the stock oc.

2. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I had like 3 dead MSI motherboards. QA of motherboards are horrible.

If crashes started happening right after the switch, I would rather question new MSi 970 motherboard.

1) Make sure you installed new motherboard properly in case, and no contacts being blocked.
    2) Make sure you properly connected all required cables. Recheck manual for required cables and voltages.
    3) In bios, check if your PSU provides enough voltage and its stable (12v,5v,3.3v)

4) Switch back to your old motherboard if possible, see if PSU stable with it.
    5) Once you made sure it's not your user error and PSU is stable with previous motherboard, consider RMA your new motherboard.

3. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 GTS BE
    That's tough since you say it did work for a few days. I don't see any diagnostic LED's on that board. PSU is a good guess, but it could be other stuff too.
    Random stuff you might try before slapping leather on a new PSU:
    Can you try a known good PSU or test that one? - basic tester costs <$20
    Remove everything from board except CPU+cooler and 1 stick of ram
    Can you try a known good GPU?
    Re-seat everything - cables, RAM, GPU
    Reset CMOS
    Try it outside of the case, on a non conductive surface - I've had short issues that I absolutely could not see

Good luck!

4. Alexis444

Alexis444 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700XT RAW
    I seated the mobo where the other was. I believed that performing this would not create an issue. I do not have too much time in the week so I'll wait until the weekend to check that out of the short stuff. The VGA, RAM, and other stuff where fuctioning properly before the mobo swap. I tried to boot up this morning before leaving and it reached up to loading Windows and then crashed. Pressed reset and then did the same 2 or 3 times until the monitor stayed black with the no signal banner. Experience dictates Symtoms of a bad mobo, bad ram module, even damaged cpu or gpu.

The reason I thought that could be the PSU is the addition of the Liquid cooling since the PSU is a generic Agiler thing. I work in IT in a company and right now we are in a big project updating all pc in campus to win 10and new offices suites. So I cant bring it here. Asked to borrow a PSU let's see.

Sadly, I do not have something to check voltages. I'll keep posted. Much obliged people!

5. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You should be able to check voltages in BIOS. There should be monitoring section.

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti H20
    Don't trust mobo voltage reading; they are nowhere near accurate; I've seen cases where bios reads 11.76 exactly whereas a DMM reads 12.021

7. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Consider your ram might not be so happy in your new motherboard.
    You may need to slow it down, tweak it or raise its voltage a bit, see what makes a difference.
    If 0.02V (20mV) increase in memory voltage doesnt improve things its best not to push further without advice.
    I wont be online tomorrow.

8. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I mean it to check if something drastically wrong with PSU, reading like 10.5v etc....

9. Alexis444

Alexis444 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700XT RAW
    Folks

Swapped the psu and the pc did the same so no luck. Pc booted normally, used for a few minutes and then the monitor went black with no signal. The mobo is getting really hot in the backplate so I might check the CPU and thermal grease. I have never increased voltage never been a fan of oc, however I'll give it a try to see

10. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 GTS BE
    I'm not a fan of over-volting memory. If you have some exotic RAM, maybe run it at more pedestrian settings if that's what you suspect. I realize I might sound like a broken record, but I'd say it's time to remove all extra components. Nothing connected but the basics. I'd only have 1 stick of ram, and only CPU cooling, no storage. I'd take the video card out of the equation, or make sure it's good in another machine. If board still fail's test it outside of the case. If it can't sit in the BIOS for a few minutes with nothing connected then it might be time to RMA the board.
    You mentioned "addition of water cooling" -
    Are you sure the pump is connected to a fan header that is set to run at 100%?
    Is the pump and hoses positioned so air isn't an issue? Maybe lay the case on its side? (In the past I used an Asetek 510 and they recommended hoses at bottom of radiator, and pump lower than radiator. Yes, I've seen them mounted hoses up.)

11. Alexis444

Alexis444 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700XT RAW
    Voltages on memory seem to be good but I set them little up. Set the fan to run 100% and now it sounds heavy, like a little rotator engine. CPU temp and mobo are 20/22c respectively when idling. Gonna play something heavy to see the response

12. Alexis444

Alexis444 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700XT RAW
    Well It crashed and I tried to work on the bios and it doesn't let me. Keeps crashing. New PSU, swapped memory, reseated CPU and does the same. GPU works good so I'm making my bet to rma the mobo. Too sad it's a good mobo. Maybe not getting MSI anymore

13. angelgraves13

angelgraves13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Never had an issue with ASUS. eVGA makes amazing mobos too.

14. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    I've never had issues with MSI boards. There are occasional duds for any brand though so just RMA and hope for the best (personally, I've had the most trouble with ASRock boards - had one which was wildly unstable and another which died after a couple of days).

15. Alexis444

Alexis444 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700XT RAW
    Swapped again ram to check. With one module it booted, the screen flashed 2 or 3 times and then crashed. With the other module just black screen.

16. Alexis444

Alexis444 Member Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 5700XT RAW
    To basically close the thread: it was the mobo. Mounted the old one and worked normally. I'm rma it already but I'm in military orders right now so I will be not able to rebuild it until the end of month. Well MSI give a raincheck. Tempted to get ryzen

17. sverek

sverek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    told ya :)

Hopefully you get replacement soon.