Is my PSU enough for GTX 470?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by arathad, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I have had one OCZ powersupply die but it was an older one from 2006. My new one is 2010 and it rocks along. If your hell bent on a 470 then get it. But dont be too shocked if it stresses ur psu big time

2. Matt Zehr

Matt Zehr Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX280 SLI 729/1542/1148
    I'm sure there are plenty of people out there with OCZ power supplies that work. You need to talk to people that have had them die. Its when a power supply dies that its true value is revealed.

There's no doubt that the one I had was sub par, but its a poor design if that leads to the demise of other hardware in your rig. Its a matter of talking to people that have had them die not people who have reviewed one for a day or owned one for a year w/o problems.

The purpose of my post was to illustrate that you get what you pay for - and in the case of power supplies it shows when they die. My personal experience and those that I've contacted directly leads me to avoid OCZ supplies.

But if OCZ isn't known for its cheapness why buy out PC Power and Cooling and use their (smaller) brand name for high end stuff?
    OCZ is a huge name, much bigger then PC power and cooling and you'd think they would want to exploit their invested branding...

3. Sever

Sever Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Galaxy 3GB 660TI
    guru3d's recommendation correlates with mine, 30A + 5-6A depending on what other components you have. so it will run.

its up to you. the 6870 is fairly good bang per buck and uses less power but if you want the gtx470 performance and physx and its cheaper, i dont see why you wouldnt grab that instead.

as for power supplies blowing, its sometimes random. i had a brand name 900w power supply blow on me, no major issues. had it rma'd, bought a thermaltake psu (lifetime warranty is sexy), then sold the power supply i got back from rma.

the important thing is to get a brand name power supply that wont take down your whole computer with it.

you really shouldnt cheapen on the power supply. think of it this way, if you had no power supply, would anything run on your computer? the power supply is the heart of the computer system, it powers everything and ensures everything runs correctly.

in my case, im not silly enough to spend $50 on a power supply and expect it to run $2000 of components safely. i spent big ($200 ish) and bought a power supply i knew would run my computer safely.

now if youre willing to spend money to buy a graphics card only to fry it because your power supply couldnt handle it, thats your choice. but most warranties will not replace parts that are fried because of a power supply that was not up to spec, that comes into the negligence clause.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  4. angmar

angmar Guest

These people are being dramatic that is a quality psu plenty capeable of handling one gtx 470 even with overclocking.

Oh and might I add those reccomended psu specs givin by nvidia already add tons of head room for you theres no need to add more to it. My friend ran a gtx 460 768 on a 250 watt psu with only 3 of 4 molex plugs used on the 2 6 pin adapters. So please.

As far as the 6870 goes...I thought about sending my 470 back an getting one...then I saw how it fell flat on its face when it came to overclocking an the 470 could out perform it substantially when both are overclocked. If I was upgrading from a slow gpu the only 6800 series card I would consider is the 6850 cause of its large oc headroom it can be made to keep up with a 6870 for far cheaper. But when you get up to 250 bucks I will gladly keep my 470 even though I still have 8 days to send it back for a full refund an can literally trade one for the other. I have done tons of research on this and thought long an hard on it and almost did it but all the reviews even the lucky few who broke 1000mhz on the 6870 still weren't getting near what my gtx 470 is pulling with a pretty easily attainable overclock using just the reference model.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 1, 2010

5. arathad

arathad Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 970 (3,5 GB - lol)
    Ok guys, I decided I will buy HD6870. Its just safer and my PSU wont melt and I guess I have a little ati fanboy inside me ;P. You can stop making recommendations for me , this thread is over.

Thanks for help guys.