1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is my pc still good for a few years or upgrade ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by Vize, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Vize

Vize Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Turbo Gtx 1060 6GB
    i have a 32inch 1080p screen that i use for my pc and its a core i5 6600k 3.9ghz with turbo boost and 16gigs of DDR 4 3000 ram and a gtx 1060 6gig gpu and a 240gig SSD and 2TB for storage and optical drive and cable modem

i play the occasional PC game but i also have a 4k UHD tv non hdr 49inch and that has an xbox one x and ps3 and nintendo switch connected to it ...........so my question is my PC still good for a few years or replace it with a ryzen 2600X or 3600X and motherboard for about $300 since i can still use my DDR 4 ram and videocard and power supply and case and all that stuff

or do i just need a better videocard ?

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    Sadly, nothing lasts for a long time in the technology world.
    For now, you can game pretty much everything without severe penalties.
    Problems will arise later down the road with games demanding more horsepower and your CPU is 4c/4T.
    Yes, you can overclock more, but recently Windows update carry patches to cover up vulnerabilities found for Intel CPUs and some might step performance back.
    You always can upgrade, that's for sure.
    Recently, I've sold my 6600K and saved the money for a AMD build.
    But my main use for a computer differs from yours, I need more cores for virtualization and learning for certifications.
    TL,DR: you are fine for now, not so in the long run.

3. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Active Member

GPU:
    AMD RX 580 8GB
    It's just soo annoying having to get a new motherboard if you upgrade to Coffee Lake on newer.
    I'm on 6600k i5 too. Only upgrade on same motherboard is Kaby Lake i7. Which may give a decent boost in games, but it's still only 4 cores. For similar money you can get the 8 core 9700k, but new mobo faff.

I've instaled a big tower cooler and overclocked instead for the mean-time.

It boils down to the game though. I can still play Doom well over 120fps..

4. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    I was looking at the same upgrade paths, but I am not gaming.
    So sold the 6600K while has some value, later after Ryzen 3x launch its price will plummet.

5. Geryboy

Geryboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti AMP Zotac
    your setup is good enough for 1080p 60fps high settings most games. what's your goal anyway?

6. Vize

Vize Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus Turbo Gtx 1060 6GB
    i wanted to eventually upgrade to at least a 1440p monitor or do u not notice much difference from 1080p ?? and i never owned a cpu with hyperthreading before so i was wondering if they are much better than what i have now i wanted a least a 6core/12 thread 2600X or 3600X cpu so it would last me awhile or would be better off getting an 8700k ?

7. Geryboy

Geryboy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080ti AMP Zotac
    well it's roughly 70% resolution increase. But still if your refresh rate is about 60Hz your current setup is ok, if you want 120+Hz then an upgrade might be resonable.

From what has been said a 3600 zen 2 should be a better choice than 8700k.

Wait for reviews. Right now a GPU upgrade to 2070 or Navi 7nm would be the biggest leap, next CPU.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Redacted by NDA
    When its too slow upgrade it.
    Theres not much point upgrading in advance unless you will miss out on low stock hardware or a price is unbeatable.

9. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB 144hz
    As I keep telling my friends: "only upgrade if you really need too"... but if you're going above <1080p then I would think you'll need to upgrade your GPU.

Also your i5-6600k (4c/4c) is cutting it very close with today's standards and you will have a problem in games later down the line or today much like myself.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2019