Is my NVIDIA GTX 460 bad?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by DontCountToday, Sep 3, 2012.

1. DontCountToday

DontCountToday New Member

GPU:
    NVidia 8800GTS 512mb
    Computer specs:
    Graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 (Latest stable release)
    Processor - Intel Core i7 930
    Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58
    Windows 7 Professional
    RAM - 2x 4GB G Skill F3-10666CL9-4GBRL 1333 DDR3 SDRam

Have had several issues with this graphics card / mobo and not sure what the exact problem is. The first noticeable issue is that with the graphics card driver updated to the most recent release, I experience an issue when previewing pictures on my computer. They all look like this:

[​IMG]

Oddly enough, I only experience this issue when previewing images on my computer with Windows Photo Viewer. This issue does not occur in photoshop or any other program, including web browsers. Also, as you can see, printscreen captures the issue.
    The only fix to this is to delete my NVIDIA drivers and download an old one that does not have this issue.

Also, regardless of driver, occasionally the display driver crashes. The screen goes black for a moment then comes back on fine, but it happens often enough to worry about it. It often occurs when watching videos (on the internet or computer) or playing video games. The video often has to be restarted.

When it comes to video games, it seems hit or miss if I have issues. I cannot play Battlefield 3. I can usually play a level of BF3 and when the game is over and loads another I have just a black screen. From that point on I cannot play another game, it just always has a crash error or goes to a black screen. The only fix at that point is a system reboot.

Many games have errors like this:
    [​IMG]
    You can see these large lined graphical errors in the game. Most of the time the game will load with such errors for a few seconds and then go black or crash. This particular game is Gotham City Impostors through Steam.

These are the only specific issues I can think of but if I should provide any further PC details or any other information, please let me know. I do not have another graphics card lying around to test.

Tired of switching between new and old graphics drivers to temporarily fix some of the issues, and not being able to play video games I've paid for that should work according to my computer specs. I've searched for fixes to these problems individually but there are too many issues to have 1 simple fix for it.

Edit:
    A friend suggested that I change the color management ICC profile to "sRGB Color Space Profile" and reset. That seems to have fixed the image preview issue. The video game errors still occur. I could swear I tried this in the past and it worked but the issue started again randomly.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  2. SSJBillClinton

SSJBillClinton Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 EVGA FTW
    The ingame screenshot looks like games when I had my memory clock too high on my card, maybe try lowering stuff in Afterburner and see if the problem goes away. It sounds like a dud card anyway, but try doing that just to confirm it.

3. Mr_ALLroy

Mr_ALLroy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
    Use MSI Afterburner and post your temps. If I had to guess, I'd say your card is running hot.

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Temp problems or an OC Problem.

It may also be a PSU problem.

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Bad or overheating vram can cause those spikes in the bottom screenshot, not sure about the top pic though.

What are your temps like? Is your card overclocked? Could poss be PSU also...

6. jbmcmillan

jbmcmillan Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX970
    I haven`t been able to use any of the 3xx series of drivers as I get DNR issues and I have tried them all except for the latest beta release maybe try the 296.10 and see if it helps.

7. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    take out the card, blow it out real good with a can of air and the pci e slot too. see if you can loop heaven 3.0 for a couple of hrs. and not the gpu temps

8. DontCountToday

GPU:
    NVidia 8800GTS 512mb
    Current temps (not running any games or programs) in Celsius:

Mobo: 42
    CPU: 56
    Core 1-4 all 44-47
    GPU - 44

Now a couple years ago when I built this computer I dabbled in OC the Graphics and CPU. Heres what Everest lists in OC:

CPU Clock - 1615 MHz (Original: 2800 MHz)
    CPU Multiplier - 12x
    CPU FSB - 134 MHz (Original 133)
    QPI Clock - 2422 MHz

On MSi Afterburner I hit reset which I believe reset all clocks to default.

I am about to update Bios which is a couple years old, and install new drivers with it. When I restart I will see if changing the GFX OC and updating bios fixes anything

9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    So your card was overclocked up until now?

10. DontCountToday

GPU:
    NVidia 8800GTS 512mb
    It was but not much

11. DontCountToday

GPU:
    NVidia 8800GTS 512mb
    Not sure if updating my bios and mobo drivers was the solution, or if it was that I had my graphics card OCed too much, but I reset it to regular settings, and now at least Gotham City works fine. I haven't played BF3 in awhile but I am about to boot it up and see if anything has changed.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Why are you running dual channel ram on x58?

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    My money is on the overclock....

14. xankazo

xankazo Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1060 SC (6GB)
    Yeah, I was gonna say the same thing. I had a nasty overclock some years ago and those were the same symptoms, along with some pesky others.. I've given up on OCing ever since.

15. DontCountToday

GPU:
    NVidia 8800GTS 512mb
    I am afraid I am not sure what dual channel ram is. When buying RAM I find it a little overwhelming and I did as much research as possible before choosing what to buy, but that was a few years ago and I've forgotten much of it. Do I have RAM that is somehow bad for my mobo?

16. Windfury

Windfury Member

GPU:
    eVGA 760GTX - SLI
    Typically with three sticks of RAM you would get better performance because your motherboard utilized Triple Channel, thats why it has six slots, you either use three sticks or six sticks for the best performance.

17. kidflash112

kidflash112 Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960
    I had same issue w 304.42 and installing 296.10 work for me fix problem

18. DontCountToday

GPU:
    NVidia 8800GTS 512mb
    Oh I understand. I cant believe I overlooked that. Going to purchase another stick asap.

19. GatitoMimosin

GatitoMimosin Active Member

GPU:
    msi gaming x 3060ti
    same problem here... for me you videocard is bad videoram, chip videoram is bad, corrupted
    solution: reclaim you videocard garanted

20. Hammie

Hammie Banned

GPU:
    760 SMG 28"
    the VRAM has busted in your video card. RMA ! good luck,,, gl