is my card dying already?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by outlaw101, Nov 5, 2010.

1. outlaw101

outlaw101 Member

GPU:
    MSI N460GTX hawk 1GB
    hello all,

I've had my gtx460 hawk for about a week and everything has been ok. however earlier today i installed an old game which had a major crash whilst playing. completely froze pc, basically blue screened, f'd up all my usb devices so i couldn't even ctrl+alt+del, keyboard was dead. Anyway the only thing i could do was hit switch the power off/on manually.

i thought all would be ok, windows gave usual "has recovered from unexpected shutdown" etc. things seemed normal. however i started up bad company 2 and it crashed to desktop (never done this before).

i went off for a while, came back and started browsing some pictures on my pc. then i knew something has definitely screwed up. nearly all the pictures i browse have coloured dots over them, like spray paint.

I have some samples here for you to see:

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g466/blabla001/dots/Untitled.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g466/blabla001/dots/Untitled2.jpg

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g466/blabla001/dots/Untitled3.jpg

do you think the cards really dying already? i'm hoping someone will just tell me it's corrupt files/drivers or something. please help :pc1::biggun:

2. NobleKnight51

NobleKnight51 Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GT 512MB PCI-E
    I know that when I installed Mafia 2 demo it broke my computer, games would crash, artifacts.. I uninstalled it, and my pc was working fine? -shrug- Uninstall that game, reinstall drivers, reinstall directx. Try that all first.

3. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Duke GTX1080Ti
    Those images seem a bad signal to me.

Try to play some demanding games and maybe run Furmark to stress the card.

If similar dots appear when playing then your card is dying. If not, then is some other problem.

4. Vood007

Vood007 Master Guru

GPU:
    Too
    Check all connections and reinstall gfx drivers and maybe try a "sfc /SCANNOW" from the CMD prompt. If its still broken send these screens to MSI and ask.

5. outlaw101

outlaw101 Member

GPU:
    MSI N460GTX hawk 1GB
    thanks for the replies. I reinstalled the graphics driver and it seems to of fixed it :). the game crash must of corrupted the graphics drivers i guess..

6. orion24

orion24 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    Only last thing to note is that game crashes never game me a BSOD. If I were you, I'd do some research to find out what caused that BSOD at first place.

It could be that the CPU overclock is not 100% stable and needs a bit more voltage, or the memory settings, or something is overheating, or the PSU for some reason might not enough.