Is my 8800GTS dying?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by conneh, Jun 8, 2009.

1. conneh

conneh Member

GPU:
    EVGA GT 240
    I've been using my EVGA 8800GTS 320MB for almost 2 years now and had no problems with it whatsoever until now. It idles at about 65-70C most of the time, and, of course, gets a little bit hotter under stress. The card froze on me once (sound loop, frozen screen with a thick horizontal line with a bunch of artifacts on it near the upper edge of the screen) like two weeks ago when I was in a game, but I didn't think anything of it, since there was a patch that day, which is what I thought screwed the game up for me. I rebooted the PC, however, continued to play the game that night, and played it pretty much every night (no issues at all) since then until the last friday night, which is when it totally crapped out on me.

I played a couple of matches of Quake Live, went afk, came back, and started Aion (it uses the infamous GameGuard anticheat protection), which just finished downloading. When I was in the character creation, the screen started randomly freezing and the textures got all screwed up, at which point I decided to kill the process, and go play another game with a friend in Vent. Not more than 5 minutes into the game, my screen started freezing again and displaying all kinds of weird colors. I alt-tabbed back to Windows at which point a message informing me that nvdisp.dll crashed popped up on my screen. I rebooted, tried running the game again -- same story. OK, maybe it's the game, then(they patched it that day)? No, because other games (tried Quake Live and Drakensang) made the system freeze the same way.

I decided to uninstall Aion along with its protection system and cleaned my system, even though I did not install any new software or drivers recently that could have such an impact on my PC. Installed a new DX redistributable package, DriverSweeped the graphic card drivers (182.05), and reinstalled the same set of drivers. Windows wouldn't start after reboot, I had to uninstall the drivers in safe mode, and reboot again... After that reboot all the BIOS fonts got scrambled up, and there were all kinds of dots and lines popping up on the screen when Windows loaded. Since then, each attempt at reinstalling the graphic card drivers (tried a lot of different versions) would result in Windows not booting up. The system would work fine, however, with no drivers installed. The only problem was, there were a lot of red vertical lines forming what looked like 5 very thick lines in 5 places on the screen. Changing resolution would make the PC freeze.

Until today... I turned my PC on and the artifacts/vertical lines on the screen were all gone. I've decided to try and reinstall the drivers just now and, to my surprise, everything went just fine. I even played Quake Live for like 15 minutes to see if it'd crash. It didn't. What the hell?

There is obviously something wrong with... something in my PC. Is it possible that my 8800GTS is on its way out (and if so why is it working ok now?) or is there something else that might be causing the problem?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    It is possible your graphics card is on it's way out. If possible, you could e-mail eVGA support about your problems. Not sure what the warranty restrictions are where you're at. If your card is subject to their warranty still, you may be able to RMA it that way.

3. Stromgold

Stromgold Maha Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    I had a similar problem once when the cooling fan on my gpu was beginning to fail. Sometimes it was fine, othertimes, I got artifacts as well, depending of course on if the fan was working properly. I bought an aftermarket cooler.. and problem solved. Are you monitoring temps while you are playing games?

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RX5700
    If his card is still under warranty...he'd be better off doing an RMA. At least then he ends up with a new card...

5. vindassius

vindassius Master Guru

GPU:
    8800GTX
    http://www.evga.com/rma/default.asp

im looking at the new models and they says its a lifetime warranty with exclusions...mainly snapped in 1/2 will void your warranty thats for the gts250...give that link a whirl and see how you go :D

6. conneh

conneh Member

GPU:
    EVGA GT 240
    Ok, thanks guys. I'm just going to RMA it and hope for the best. I tried playing another game and the screen froze after ~10 minutes, so unfortunately the card didn't fix itself...

7. LedHed

LedHed Banned

GPU:
    BenQ FP241W
    With eVGA the only thing that voids the lifetime warranty is physical damage to the card (including water damage) and supposedly hardware volt-mods void the warranty, even though myself and others have done volt-mods and sent them back for Step-Ups or RMAs.

All normal things like heat sink changes/overclocking/software voltage tuners/etc are covered, IMO eVGA has the best warranty in the GPU market. Not to mention their RMA procedure is an equal card or better, so since the GTS 320/640 aren't made any more, you're most likely to get a GTS 250 512mb for only the cost of shipping your card to them ($10-$15)

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009