is my 5870 dieing ?!? pls HELP

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by nelsonica2007, Mar 28, 2010.

1. nelsonica2007

nelsonica2007 Active Member

GPU:
    2x1080ti
    I have 2 x 5870. Today i started my computer and one of the cards started with the fan at max speed with a loud noise. In windows crossfire did not work and it the card was not detected . I took the cards out and i left in the computer only the one with the problem, change the slot and the computer started. then i put the other card in and it worked. I started after some time the computer again and now it will not show anything on the screen because the card with the noise it's connected to the screen. Whan can be the problem? Is that card dieing?

2. rogue71

rogue71 Master Guru

GPU:
    2 x 5870 / 3x U2410
    doesnt sound good. try it with the single cards again. if you boot with the good card and have probs with the "noisy" one id jump on an rma if its still under warranty.

3. nelsonica2007

nelsonica2007 Active Member

GPU:
    2x1080ti

I did try it with the single card and still when i start the computer the card starts with the fan on max and nothing on the display ! Can there be a problem with the cooler? I opened the card and changed the thermal paste, i put it back in the computer and it started normally but with the next start of the computer it did the same loud noise ! the card is is not under warranty.

4. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Gaming Z
    Seems that there's something wrong with the card. Especially because the other card is working normally in the same PC. Why don't you have any warranty on that card? Because you reapplied the thermal paste? It is still a rather new card/model, so I think you should be able to RMA it anyway ;)
    Also, did you change drivers recently?
    Additonal edit: a faulty cooler won't cause your BIOS or OS to NOT recognize your card. Something's must be wrong with the card itself.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2010