Is Mantle exclusive to ATI/AMD or can future nvidia drivers adopt Mantle too?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by dr_hycodan, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bloodfx

bloodfx Member Guru

GPU:
    gtx 760
    Oh look

2. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Developers are lazy? Wow. You obviously do not know any professional developers.

3. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Mantle is not Open Source, as in what we know as the Open Source movement. It is open and free to use for all and is usable on all hardware if the hardware maker decides to implement it in their drivers. So in that case it is open. AMD hopes it becomes a standard. Unlike how NVidia does things, AMD is not charging for this. This makes sense - more game developers will use it if it is both free and makes their lives easier.

Of course, it is entirely possible AMD is completely lying about everything, but that falls into the realm of a conspiracy theory.

4. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    I ain't close to panicking. As proof I have 2 780ti non mantle compliant cards being shipped to me. 2 290 had my interest when the were $400 bucks but the bit coin craze took care of the pricing on custom 290s and 290xs

5. Nano2k

Nano2k Active Member

GPU:
    RTX2080TI
  6. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Bf4 wasn't exactly a trouble free experience before mantle.

7. pereprimus

pereprimus Member

GPU:
    gigabyte r9-290x oc
    some people are, other are not, all depends of your system, me for example i have a nice boost in bf4, not that it was running bad before but it's smoother and with all options pushed to the max it's still 60 fps .... what is impossible when i use directx without mantle (40-45 fps) so for my config it's an appreciable deal. now if you have a top config mantle will ofer nothing or almost nothing for actual games but will be usefull in one year or two if you don't change your cpu (it's my case actually). that's the point of mantle, it's not boosting every system but helping the ones witch struggle.

8. Nano2k

Nano2k Active Member

GPU:
    RTX2080TI
    Yeah but I mean for many it's worse than before, including these drivers borking other games in the process. Looks like far from being a successful roll out...

9. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    That is why I want NVidia to support it. I like NVidia cards for gaming, but I also like not continuously upgrading my CPU, mobo, memory, etc. Mantle allows me to keep what I have for a lot longer.

If NVidia does not support it, I will end up switching to AMD for my next video card. I don't want to stop buying NVidia...but that choice is up to them. So far, it looks like they want people like me to stop buying their cards.

10. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Let's put it this way. OpenGL, free as in speech. Mantle, free as in beer.

Would you trust a company behaving like that for 'standards', AMD or NVidia?. This is not standards. This is bastardization of standards, bastardandards if you will.

Read this page.
    http://www.amd.com/us/products/technologies/mantle/pages/mantle.aspx
    Then compare to this page.
    http://www.opengl.org/about/

You tell me which one reads like an ad.

That's not to say I don't want mantle. But after hearing that it can be done ever so easily with OpenGL extensions, why would you want AMD at the helm of this. Or even something like mantle, and I don't care if it's open source or free or whatever, I don't care if it's from a company like Microsoft, just not from a place with clear selfish interest for their own products. And, lol, preferably their own OS, but beggars can't be choosers...

EDIT:
    Hell, let's do some homework and compare and contrast how these companies behave and act with a third party involved.
    AKA, evil DirectX and evil Microsoft.
    This is the closest thing I could even find from MS about DX
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee663274(v=vs.85).aspx

Now let's see how AMD and NVidia handle the same tech.
    http://sites.amd.com/us/game/technology/Pages/directx-11.aspx
    http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/dx11

We seeing the difference? Mantle just is covered in this poo. From it's inception to it's implementation.

And, Mr. Sage, relax with the 'I guess I just can't use NVidia cards now' stuff. Just wait. You might have to suffer though a couple of games that support Mantle, boo hoo, but these things tend to solve themselves.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014

11. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Free beer is better. Free speech is already has a ton of limitations on it...but free beer has none.

Not what you were going for, was it? :)

NVidia already said they would charge for all work they do. AMD has said this will be free for all to use. So which should we trust with a standard? Obviously the one that does not charge.

You apparently do not understand what standards are. Standard does not mean Open Source.

:D I find you funny. I think I will keep you, like a chia pet. If NVidia decides to support mantle, I will keep them as my video card maker. If not, then they decided they don't want me (and others who like saving money on CPUs) to buy their products. It is sad to see a company start to self destruct out of silly pride.

12. Barry J

Barry J Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX2080 TRIO Super
    +1 it's a beta driver why the fuss already

13. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    To be fair, this site is all about fussing over beta drivers.

14. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    Some posts on this section game my cancer... If mantle proves to be successful and obvious it is not TIED TO GCN then nvidi-a will be implementing in their future products it is only logical course of action

15. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC
    Guys who are annoyed about all the Mantle fuss, you're free to not enter the threads, no?

Leave us try the thing and enjoy its benefits.

16. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    This API will die like the rest, from the history.

17. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It's not an analogy I made. You can put whatever spin you want on those terms, but free as in beer software is about software with limitations and exceptions typically for an endgame profit motive, and free as in speech software is about software that is free and also free from monetization.

Of cooourse AMD is amazing and so giving! Not really a company, more like a person. A trustworthy person. Standardization can happen peacefully or as a result from a war. Like Blu Ray and HDDVD.

And I would not go that far. Like I said these things tend to solve themselves. NVidia is not going to go bankrupt from a handful over overzealous people like yourself.

And a chia pet of me would be hard to take care of. My plants would grow from my chin, so you would probably need to keep me upside down.

18. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz
    After maxwell unified memory and project denver, and after volta with stacked dram, well AMD need to swim to surface somehow, delivering some free API, because they don't keep up with nvidia. AMD guys don't have the resources of nvidia, sorry guys

19. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
  20. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    what api beside glide has died exactly?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.