Is Mantle exclusive to ATI/AMD or can future nvidia drivers adopt Mantle too?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by dr_hycodan, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    You could be right, but you could be wrong. For someone who does not care, you sure have posted a lot. ;)

I suspect they will not want to bother wasting money to create something they can already gain for free.

2. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Do you want me to source the info on US Persons?

It could be that space aliens handed us a gift of a low level API and you would be against it if it was not OpenGL. I get it, you hate everything else out there.

I read it, but you are "forgetting" that Mantle is free for everyone once completed. Please stop "forgetting" that part.

I saw and, if it is true, I am saddened by the current state of education in my Commonwealth. You moved to PA after living most of your life in a non-English speaking nation, right?

Hubris is a sin, even the ancient Greeks understood this.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  3. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    But to get back on topic and away from Mr. Hubris:

"Is Mantle exclusive to ATI/AMD or can future nvidia drivers adopt Mantle too?"

NVidia can create drivers to adopt Mantle if they do not let their pride cause them harm.

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    That was done and over with a handful of pages ago. But I guess it just aint so if CybrSage doesn't put his decree on it, right?

If the same aliens also sold GPU's on Earth, then yes I would not be in favor of it.

And I'm not forgetting anything. It's a guise, and it's depressing that you can't see though that. It's you who talks as if only AMD is qualified to make this API. As if since they made it first, anyone who does not use it is dumb and deserves to fall.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I honesty dont care about the API all that much I am more for the gsync a fix to the all the draw backs and problems with vsync is more important in my eyes, Im sure people will argue that it not, for the people that swear by vsync it more important.

Now a new API that is low level unlike DX is welcome thing but it should be for everyone, just like i think nvidia should make gsync for everyone. but those business think money first over the greater good

6. TimmyP

TimmyP Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070
    I just want to say: This is the DUMBEST thread I've ever seen on this site.

Been coming here...since 3Dfiles.com went down.

7. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Unless they created the new version of OpenGL...then you could not buy enough, right?

Sure you have been, backpedalling now will not hide anything.

8. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    That is the beauty of Mantle, it is free for everyone. All they have to do is decide to add support for it in their drivers. AMD already spent the R&D money on it...and everyone else gets the gain for free.

9. onthemour

onthemour Active Member

GPU:
    780 acx
    CybrSage I am laughing so hard at you.

I love when young teenage boys get angry on video game forums

10. GhostXL

GhostXL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Merc 319 6800 XT
    You guys chill....let's not take jabs at people and assume things.

Let's see here.

Nvidia offered to write ATI's drivers when they were in trouble. ATI refused.
    Nvidia offered ATI the choice to use Physx. ATI refused.

ATI now AMD, develops Mantle with select game developers, which is closed to Nvidia until it is out of beta.

If the past says anything about the relationship Nvidia/AMD has, Nvidia will refuse AMD's Mantle and do something on their own with their current partners.

On the other hand we have game developers involved. Nvidia loves to snatch up developers and optimize for their cards. If its just for marketing or the love of the job who knows, maybe both. Because of this though, Nvidia may find themselves having to adopt Mantle at some point. If enough devs jump on board they will have to, to survive the market.

Also since Mantle will eventually end up being open to all, Nvidia may even be able to contribute to the api and make it even better. I wouldn't think so negative on Mantle.

This isn't really helping.

11. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    Angry...snicker. It is impossible for a random, anonymous, Internet nobody to make me angry. Sorry, you are just completely unimportant to me.

I realize you think you are important, but you are not. Accept it and put on a happy face!

:banana:

12. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Teenage? I'm 12.
    You keep saying I'm backpedaling, and every time it still makes no sense. How exactly am I backpedaling.

And no, again, if those same aliens make GPUs and OpenGL, I and any reasonable person would be able to make out how that creates a self interest. And once again, I would be against it. Seriously like talking to a wall here.

13. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    I think the biggest difference between the Physix offer and the Mantle offer is that Mantle is free to use. And I fully agree, NVidia may be able to improve Mantle (and have to pass it by the control group, which will be AMD of course).

Mantle's main purpose, or so I have read, is to breathe far more life into their APUs than they currently have. The CPU portion is limited, the GPU portion is pretty good. With Mantle, the CPU does not have to be very powerful. Since the APUs are cheap, big box producers will like them. If they can start playing modern games with good graphics, they will really like them.

The big question is if Intel will support Mantle.

14. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    You do something and then, when called out on it, you pretend that what you did meant something other than what you did. You backpedal away from your previous stance.

Yawn...you have begun to bore me. Go ahead and fill your need to have the last snipe. I will ignore it and continue to talk about Mantle and both the pros and cons of NVidia supporting it.

Maybe you can be exciting with your final shot... :nerd:

15. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Everyone knows the person with the last word wins.
    I always win.

You said this,

Major game developers worked with AMD to create Mantle. It is an open system, usable by everyone for free. It makes it easier to programmers to create better graphics for lower powered systems (ie, most systems out there). Somehow, you find this to be a bad thing simply because AMD was the lead on it.

The only example you attempted to give me that I backpedaled in any way was here,

"YOU are the one who posted the quote from NVidia about them not opening their work to others (on page 3), so YOU are the one who showed they are in completely different boats. Come now, at least remember what you yourself already posted."

To which I said,

"It could be instead...
    Major game developers worked with NVidia to create Glide4. It is an open system, usable by everyone for free. It makes it easier to programmers to create better graphics for lower powered systems (ie, most systems out there). Somehow, you find this to be a bad thing simply because NVidia was the lead on it.
    And I still would be heavily against it. But it's not. So sorry if that makes me look biased.

And when I was accused of backpedaling I said,

I was not saying that NVidia scenario toward you, just a copy and paste to demonstrate my own discontent if the tables were reversed because you accused me of being a fanboy. I hate any company that uses the guise of openness for their own gain.

I should not have to hold your hand though all this man, it's getting annoying. Or maybe that's just your go-to strawman argument, "I don't know what to say, so I'll just go with the other person is backpedaling".

Maybe you are seriously just that lost and confused. Allow me to recap for you.
    NVidia making an API = BAD
    AMD making an API = BAD
    Khronos Group making an API = GOOD
    Microsoft making an API = GOOD (but it's still microsoft lol)
    Aliens making an API = GOOD
    Aliens that also make GPUs making an API = BAD

16. mR Yellow

mR Yellow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury
    Be thankful that AMD even took this direction.
    AMD started developing Mantle because developers requested it.

We would still be limited with DX performance if it weren't for Mantle API.

Again, i only see Nvidia nay sayers. Come talk to us again once you have experienced this API first hand. Why the hate? If it was Nvidia developing a good thing i would be all over it. Don't be stuck to a so called "Elitist" brand.

I'm tired trying to talk sense to people that can't see the potential and benefits.

17. V@IO

V@IO Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti @ 1233/7400MHz
    I concur.

18. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080ti Vision OC
    Don't worry, there are plenty of people who agree with you. I hope Mantle is a runaway success for AMD, the outcome could only be good for all PC gamers.

19. ---TK---

---TK--- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Learn how to multi quote. More than 1 post in a row is generally not a good idea.

20. Loophole35

Loophole35 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    60 post total and 39 in this thread alone if he used multi-quote he would have maybe 20~25 post in this thread, but even that is too much when he has presented almost nothing of value into the debate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.