Is it worth upgrading from X4 to X6 ?

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Gripen90, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Lutfi

Lutfi Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH4870X2 Trifan
    it's not quite beneficial for those who want to upgrade, but to build new machine, i think it's good.. like me.. :D

i'm getting the 1090T this june.. but haven't decide on the mobo yet, just because the crosshair iv maximus is going to be out.. which is Lucid ability to combine cards.. :D

2. bhokuto

bhokuto Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI R5670 HD 1GB DDR5
    Not worth it. I would wait till AMD re-works the processor-- this is the first take for these.

Never buy the first generation of processors. They always have some issue.

3. Gripen90

Gripen90 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    It's not really first gen with the X6 it's still the Phenom II structure. The old Phenom I also supported turbo core in their structure but doe to problemes with managing it AMD disabled the feature in the CPU.

4. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Actually, AMD only disabled it since the Windows Vista pre-SP1 kernel wouldn't handle it. Ever since Microsoft rectified the issue, they reintroduced the function.

As for it being first gen, it isn't. Your issue is just a BIOS issue. Flash to 2003 and it'll be fixed.

deltatux

5. Shataan

Shataan Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080ti
    Ya know, we STILL are not seeing games that utilize even 4 cores. So I think upgrading to 6, and game devs are not even close to optimizing for 4, is kind of a waste. But if ya got the dough, have at her.

6. Gripen90

Gripen90 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Well it's not the issue as such in this case, it's more that the 1090T is significantly slower than the 955'er for whatever unknown reason when you reboot the system.

2003 Bios, just made things worse and multipliers are all screwy.

7. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    really eh? Email ASUS and see what they think your problem is then.

deltatux

8. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    my x6 is slightly faster clock for clock than my 965 c3. sandra proves this when I disable 2 cores. It did take me a bit to get all 6 cores working properly in my bios though =(. Gigabyte needs to complete those beta bios

9. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    I think ASUS and GIGABYTE needs to get their acts together with their BIOSes, I haven't heard of such bad BIOS issues for boards in the event of the introduction of new CPUs.

deltatux

10. Gripen90

Gripen90 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    Asus Support is a "town in Russia". It's just like an auto-answering machine. I got the reply to "update the BIOS"... well thank you I already did.

This is my last Asus board, the next board will be MSi with SLi,AM3,DDR3 support.

11. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    hello all,
    i see we are all x6 mad at the moment.i have to say i'am too,but i have issues with using a 6 core cpu system.it gos like this,
    the cpu has 6 cores each taking 64kb of instruction [might be 128kb but i dont know] each hard drive when raided can give out 64kb or 128kb packets, so i would need 3x 6gb/s or 6x 3gb/s hard drives in a raid 0 to feed each core with a packet of 64kb.iam not really in to this idea as i would invole getting 2 more hard drives [and those ones are poor quality anyway]or a new motherboard and 3 new 6gb/s hard drives.

i think this cpu is good and will work well with a three hard drives in a raid 5.i still haven't tried a raid 5,but looks good as a set up,but with no triple channel ram?

Last edited: May 18, 2010
  12. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Huh? I don't get a single word you just said... What's your point? Last check the CPU caches don't work like that...

deltatux

13. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    because i like it that way man. i got a 5.9 in windows test instead of a 5.7 with my 4 disk raid 10 ,thats a well fast improvement:thumbup:.

14. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    no, i didn't even get what you were saying at all man lol. What are you trying to say?

deltatux

15. @renadier

@renadier Master Guru

GPU:
    2X AMD R280X @ 1072/1250
    i like my pc's to have a raid and one that i think makes logical fitting to the cpu of which we are there in speak of?

16. deltatux

deltatux Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GIGABYTE Radeon R9 280
    Hard drives and CPUs don't usually have a direct correlation in terms of performance. Yes, hard drives do affect performance but not the way you described it. No matter how you RAID your hard drives, it'll still be a performance bottleneck due to how slow HDD transfer rates are.

deltatux

17. Gripen90

Gripen90 Master Guru

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    A new 1090T and a new release bios vers. 2101 seems to have helped things !

18. Octavean

Octavean Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760

Ummmmmm,...... an SSD, even a slow SSD, would be faster. Likely rated as about 6.8 to 7.7. These ratings aren't really of much value though.

19. Ukraver

Ukraver Master Guru

GPU:
    msi r280x oc
    RAID = what the police should do to your house and check that stuff your smoking

20. Renegade8100

Renegade8100 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 SC
    what?